Moulin Farm Ypres

12 replies to this topic

#1 mjh

mjh

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

Could any one help, and tell me where this was situated , and whether it was a pill box or fortified stronghold, or merely the name of a location.

Thanks

Michael

#2 Aurel Sercu

Aurel Sercu

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

Michael,

There was a Moulin Farm on the north side of the road east from Zonnebeke Centre (church) to the famous crossroads Broodseinde, about 2/3 east from the centre. Anybody who's been to Tyne Cott Cemetery less than a mile north of Broodseinde sure will know the crossroads.

Map Zonnebeke 28 NE 1, subsquare 22.d

Aurel

Attached Images

• Zonnebeke 081117 cr.jpg

#3 johnreed

johnreed

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,463 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Fly Tying, Family History and Furniture Restoration

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

Moulin Farm Map Sheet 28NE1Map Sheet Name Zonnebeke Position Lat. Long. 50 deg 52.559'N 2 deg 59.806'E Map Square D22

John

#4 Roger H

Roger H

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,351 posts
  • Interests:311th Brigade RFA. The salient from Boezinge to Ploegsteert and the Arras area. Moseley Rugby Club. British real ale and Belgian Beer.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

Moulin Farm is here. Not sure what timeline you are interested in, but this map is dated September 1917. From TNA trench map CD from N and M Press. Not sure whether it was fortified, but looking at where it was, it stands a good chance!

Roger

Ah, I see that Aurel the local expert beat me to it! :lol:

Roger

Attached Images

• Moulin Farm v1.jpg

#5 Edward1

Edward1

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 417 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

TNA British Trench Map

Attached Images

• moulin.jpg

#6 mjh

mjh

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

many thanks . My Gt Uncle was based in this location with his company of the 1/4 duke of wellington's over NY 1917/1918.

I'm just organising a trip with my father and brother to the salient in June, to try and retrace his steps as much as we can, based on his regimental history, and battalion war diaries, so all your help is very much appreciated.

Regards

Michael

#7 Roger H

Roger H

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,351 posts
  • Interests:311th Brigade RFA. The salient from Boezinge to Ploegsteert and the Arras area. Moseley Rugby Club. British real ale and Belgian Beer.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

over NY 1917/1918.
Michael

By which time the front line was to the East of Broodseinde following the third battle of Ypres

Roger

Attached Images

• Moulin Farm v2.jpg

#8 mjh

mjh

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

thanks roger !

#9 connaughtranger

connaughtranger

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

The Battalion history says that C Company was in tunnels near Moulin Farm. The battalion was in Brigade reserve and was kept hard at work on rear lines of defence and on the tunnels themselves. They were there from 29th Dec to 4th Jan
Regards
Martin

#10 mjh

mjh

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for the extra info Martin. Is this from Bales history ? Several days later, my gt uncles war service came to an end, as he was badly injured by artillery fire whilst on a working party at sexton post. I found this out from the battalion war diary, which actually lists casualties of private soldiers, and not just officers by names, and from bales battalion history as well. Have you an interest in the dukes ? I'm hoping to get to Kew again very soon, to have another look at the war diary.

#11 connaughtranger

connaughtranger

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

Hi
It is from Bales. The reason for having the history is not that I have a particular interest in the Regiment, but that I'm a collector of Great War unit histories, have been for 25+ years, thus bordering on obsessive

#12 zijde26

zijde26

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:disappeared mills from the Ypres salient

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

Michael,

There was a Moulin Farm on the north side of the road east from Zonnebeke Centre (church) to the famous crossroads Broodseinde, about 2/3 east from the centre. Anybody who's been to Tyne Cott Cemetery less than a mile north of Broodseinde sure will know the crossroads.

Map Zonnebeke 28 NE 1, subsquare 22.d

Aurel

Was there a mill (=molen,moulin,...) at Moulin Farm ?

Gilbert Deraedt

#13 DaveC

DaveC

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:28 AM

Could any one help, and tell me where this was situated , and whether it was a pill box or fortified stronghold, or merely the name of a location.

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael
If you post your relations name i may have some info on him regards DaveC