WWI Recruitment in MN and MI

1 reply to this topic

#1 WorldWarOne234

WorldWarOne234

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

How were soldiers recruited in Minnesota and Michigan for service in WWI. I am looking for stories, newspaper articles ect....The men recruited in these two states were mainly engineers with experience in various firlds like to build roads, run machinery, build roads,. lumber and lumber mills. I have looked into the various historical societies and have not had much. Would appreciate it very much if someone has some background knowledge how the Units were filled and then were placed on the Tuscania.

#2 4thGordons

4thGordons

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,553 posts
  • Interests:(longterm) 4th Gordon Highlanders.(more recently) 33rd "Prairie Division" AEF and American Field Service 1917-18

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

How were soldiers recruited in Minnesota and Michigan for service in WWI. I am looking for stories, newspaper articles ect....The men recruited in these two states were mainly engineers with experience in various firlds like to build roads, run machinery, build roads,. lumber and lumber mills. I have looked into the various historical societies and have not had much. Would appreciate it very much if someone has some background knowledge how the Units were filled and then were placed on the Tuscania.

I believe the answer for the numerical majority of men from these two states who joined during wartime was the Draft (conscription) as opposed to "volunteer recruitment"
If you are drafting from a population base where a high proportion of the male population were involved in these industries then a similarly high percentage of those inducted will have experience from those industries.
One way to perhaps check is to search ancestry for draft registration cards for the men on the 20th Engineers from the casualty list I posted to your other thread. Although the existence of a 1917 draft registration card for the men does not PROOVE they did not volunteer prior to being drafted it is very strongly suggestive. The other advantage is the draft cards give occupation - which would allow you to substantiate that pattern (ie those who worked in lumber became part of the forestry units)

The 32nd Division was a National Guard division (ie made up of pre war national guardsmen supplemented to bring up to strength with draftees) The Order of Battle says that 2 drafts totalling about 4000 men joined the division while they were training in Texas so that might be an indication of the mix in that division.
Chris

EDIT: Bill check your other thread for more details. It looks like there was some specific recruiting in the Upper Penisular of Michigan according to the history of the 107th Engineers

Edited by 4thGordons, 02 May 2012 - 02:06 PM.