11 replies to this topic

#1 loujn

loujn

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

Hello

I wondered if anyone would give me some info regarding how the soldiers were enlisted?

I am researching the soldiers on a local war memorial and there are lots of different regiments into which they joined.

Am I right in thinking that the recruiters were sent around the country stopping off at towns to try and get some locals to enlist?

Would they just pass through for a day ?

Did the local regiment have a permanent recruitment place?

I have an ancestor who joined the royal scots fusiliers aged 16. He lived in Derbyshire so would I be right in assuming that the RSF came to him or was it likely that he took off to Scotland to join them and get away with his lie? There is at least 1 more lad from his village who also joined them.

Is there a book which covers this subject?

Sorry to go on....
Hope someone can clear up my queries.
Thanks all

Louise

#2 ss002d6252

ss002d6252

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,264 posts
  • Interests:6th D.L.I

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

I have an ancestor who joined the royal scots fusiliers aged 16

When did he enlist ?

#3 IPT

IPT

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

Hi Louise,

I'm guessing he's the man in your signature? If so, he enlisted in Chesterfield.

Name:Arthur Wedgwood
Birth Place:Barrow Hill, Derbyshire
Residence:Whittington, Derbyshire
Death Date:25 Sep 1915
Death Location:France & Flanders
Enlistment Location:Chesterfield
Regiment:Royal Scots Fusiliers
Battalion:1st Battalion
Number:15894
Type of Casualty:Killed in action
Theatre of War:Western European Theatre

#4 kenf48

kenf48

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

I wondered if anyone would give me some info regarding how the soldiers were enlisted?

I am researching the soldiers on a local war memorial and there are lots of different regiments into which they joined.
Is there a book which covers this subject?

I'd suggest you don't even start researching soldiers on the war memorial until you look at the parent site
Researching a soldier http://www.1914-1918...dad/grandad.htm

There has been a recent thread or two on the topic of recruitment
http://1914-1918.inv...1

http://1914-1918.inv...1

I think you are right in your assumption he chose a distant Regiment to get away with his lie, there are a number of similar documented cases in the literature.

There are a number of books recommended is Charles Messenger 'Call to Arms'
http://www.amazon.co...3498831-4891632

if you scroll down the Amazon page you will see a number of other titles including 'Tommy' Richard Holmes which is currently bundled with the above at 16.94 which looks a very good deal [if you do decide to order from Amazon can I ask you come out of my link and use the link at the top of the page as the Forum gets a cut on purchases - I don't!].

Ken

#5 loujn

loujn

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

Hello and sorry - didn't get notifications of any replies to my post -
Thank you all for your suggestions. The books sound a good buy will look into that.
I've researched quite a few of my ww1 soldiers before and I am an experienced genealogist but am not fantastic on all the nitty gritty details like all you fantastic people on this forum! I've had some great help in the past and yet again. So thanks again and I'll get looking at those books - def the call to arms one sounds good.
Louise :-)

#6 loujn

loujn

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

Oh and yes that's my man Arthur Wedgwood he joined up in November 1914.

#7 WilliamRev

WilliamRev

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 967 posts
  • Interests:5th Scottish Rifles 1914-15 and 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers: currently writing a book on my grandfather, Captain S. Revels (avatar shows him in 1916, a 2/Lieut., aged 22).

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Am I right in thinking that the recruiters were sent around the country stopping off at towns to try and get some locals to enlist?

Would they just pass through for a day ?

Did the local regiment have a permanent recruitment place?

I have an ancestor who joined the royal scots fusiliers aged 16. He lived in Derbyshire so would I be right in assuming that the RSF came to him or was it likely that he took off to Scotland to join them and get away with his lie? There is at least 1 more lad from his village who also joined them.....

As far as the Regular (1st and 2nd) battalions Royal Scots Fusiliers are concerned, it seems that recruiting parties (from the 3rd,training, battalion) toured the country, recruiting men, and we find small groups of men enlisted in quite small towns and large villages.

Between a quarter and a third of the men in the 1st and 2nd RSF were recruited in England, plenty from the midlands and indeed many from London, Sussex and Kent.

William

#8 loujn

loujn

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

Oh thanks William that's great info. Thank you very much :) just what I was after.

#9 loujn

loujn

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

Couple more questions -

Would local papers be likely to comment on the regiments that had passed through the town on enlisting duties?

Arthur's obituary states he went and did his training in north Scotland - any ideas where the Royal Scots Fusilliers had their training bases anyone?

Thanks
Louise :-)

#10 munster

munster

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

hi Louise the page below will help you with locations at any given time hope it helps.john
http://www.1914-1918.net/rsfus.htm

#11 loujn

loujn

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

Thank you John

#12 WilliamRev

WilliamRev

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 967 posts
  • Interests:5th Scottish Rifles 1914-15 and 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers: currently writing a book on my grandfather, Captain S. Revels (avatar shows him in 1916, a 2/Lieut., aged 22).

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

Hi Louise

the two Regular Army battalions of the Royal Scots Fusiliers (ie the 1st and 2nd) were trained at Fort Matilda, west of Glasgow (between the twin towns of Greenock and Gourock). This was a large camp of tents and huts which occupied the parkland around "Fort Matlida" railway station - it never had anything to do with the nearby small coastal fort of the same name, (despite what you may read on the internet). Greenock's fine Esplanade was used as a makeshift parade-ground, and a lot of the training took place in Battery Park.

Fort Matilda [the training camp] trained the regular battalions of The RSF and the Scottish Rifles, and my grandfather (who did his officer training there in the winter of 15/16 and then trained others there whilst recovering from wounds winter 16/17) told me that it was incredibly cold and seemed to rain more or less constantly whilst he was there!

William