#1 rogerjones

rogerjones

Corporal

• Members2
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Family History and Military Research

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

Hi Everyone,
I wonder if anybody out there can help me with my research. I am looking at the service record of Conrad McLoughlin who joined the Manchester Regiment in 1914 (service no. 17428) as a private and embarked for France on 9th Nov 1915. At some point later, he transferred to the East Lancashire Regiment (service no. 33705), but I have no idea why this happened. Can anyone enlighten me?
He was in 20th battalion Manchester Regiment to start and I have a listing for this group dated 1914-1916 from the internet. It was a listing of officers and troops plus service numbers for a platoon photograph. Conrad stayed with the East Lancashires after WW1 and eventually retired in the early 1950's with the rank of Colonel.
Many thanks for any help.
Roger Jones

#2 Graeme Clarke

Graeme Clarke

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,263 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

Hi

His promotion to Lieutenant is in the London Gazette here

http://www.london-ga...ts/391/page.pdf

Regards,

Graeme

#3 Retlaw

Retlaw

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Continuing the reaseach of the Accrington Pals for the late William Turner. Also researching all the men who took the Kings shilling 1914- 1918 in Greater Accrington.

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Hi Everyone,
I wonder if anybody out there can help me with my research. I am looking at the service record of Conrad McLoughlin who joined the Manchester Regiment in 1914 (service no. 17428) as a private and embarked for France on 9th Nov 1915. At some point later, he transferred to the East Lancashire Regiment (service no. 33705), but I have no idea why this happened. Can anyone enlighten me?
He was in 20th battalion Manchester Regiment to start and I have a listing for this group dated 1914-1916 from the internet. It was a listing of officers and troops plus service numbers for a platoon photograph. Conrad stayed with the East Lancashires after WW1 and eventually retired in the early 1950's with the rank of Colonel.
Many thanks for any help.
Roger Jones

There is nothing unusual with being posted to the East Lancs, from the Manchesters, Just done a quick check, and from Abbott to Bywater there are 159 men serving in the East Lancs, who formerly served in the Manchesters. If a man spent time in hospital, either thro ilness or wounds, he would be sent to a retraining battalion, from there he would be posted where ever the pen pushers decided, it looks like the East Lancs were the favourites.
Conrad is in the East Lancs records, Pte 33705 1st E.L. Those 33 numbers were starting to be used late 1916 & early 1917.

Retlaw

#4 rogerjones

rogerjones

Corporal

• Members2
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Thanks Graham,
I came across this reference last night which has helped to clarify things. One confusion is that the service number quoted is a 6 digit number whereas the regiment was allocated new 7 digit numbers in 1920. I can only assume that officers were numbered from a different block of numbers.
Roger

#5 rogerjones

rogerjones

Corporal

• Members2
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

Retlaw,
Your info is really helpful. Thanks a million. Can I ask where your source is in the East Lancs as this seems to be a location with a lot of detail.
Many thanks again
Roger

#6 Retlaw

Retlaw

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Continuing the reaseach of the Accrington Pals for the late William Turner. Also researching all the men who took the Kings shilling 1914- 1918 in Greater Accrington.

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

Retlaw,
Your info is really helpful. Thanks a million. Can I ask where your source is in the East Lancs as this seems to be a location with a lot of detail.
Many thanks again
Roger

The ones I work from are on micro film at Fulwood, 20 years ago someone started to enter them ito an early version of excell, they gave up, & 3 others had a go, I copied their efforts to disk, & carried on with the work using DBASE4, the files are now in my computer indexed on Surname & Regt number. The original paper records are somewhere inside Kew.

Retlaw.

#7 Retlaw

Retlaw

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 430 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

Thanks Graham,
I came across this reference last night which has helped to clarify things. One confusion is that the service number quoted is a 6 digit number whereas the regiment was allocated new 7 digit numbers in 1920. I can only assume that officers were numbered from a different block of numbers.
Roger

Officers in WW1 didn't have numbers, the only ones who had numbers, were those promoted from the ranks, once they made 2/Lt their original number was no longer used.

Retlaw.

#8 expatpom

expatpom

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Surviving !!!

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:41 PM

The ones I work from are on micro film at Fulwood, 20 years ago someone started to enter them ito an early version of excell, they gave up, & 3 others had a go, I copied their efforts to disk, & carried on with the work using DBASE4, the files are now in my computer indexed on Surname & Regt number. The original paper records are somewhere inside Kew.

Retlaw.

Hi;

I have just come across the above post and wondered if you have any additional information on individuals other than name and number?

I have some of my Dad's records  via ancestry but wondered whether there is anything else available. My Dad was Herbert Adams. No. 11814 and enlisted on 18 Aug 1914 with 1 Bn. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

#9 Retlaw

Retlaw

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 430 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

Hi;

I have just come across the above post and wondered if you have any additional information on individuals other than name and number?

I have some of my Dad's records  via ancestry but wondered whether there is anything else available. My Dad was Herbert Adams. No. 11814 and enlisted on 18 Aug 1914 with 1 Bn. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

All the records show on those rolls at Fulwood, are name, rank, number, battalion, and postings from or to other battalioins & regiments.