Photo

The Return of the Soldier

3 replies to this topic

#1 susan kitchen

susan kitchen

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy. History. Social history. Most aspects of WW1. Some aspects of WW2. Collecting old postcards. Reading, walking. Antique shops. Antique and vintage Jewellery. Charity work.

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

Has anyone read this classic. If so was it any good? Published 1918. As far as i understand, it's about a soldier returning home with shell shock.
Susan

#2 Michelle Young

Michelle Young

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,511 posts
  • Interests:1914, 1915-the forgotten battlefields- scoring and watching cricket, walking, cooking,real ale, red wine, single malt, motorcycles, and my family

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

I like it very much Susan, it was made into a film which was excellent as well, with Glenda Jackson, Julie Christie and Alan Bates.

Michelle

#3 Dragon

Dragon

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,600 posts
  • Interests:The Vosges and Alsace in occupation and wartime:
    http://thebluelinefrontier.wordpress.com/
    ~~~
    http://mightygwyn.zenfolio.com

To contact the Drill Halls Project, please use the email facility on the website.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

I enjoyed this very much, Susan. The main interest isn't Chris, the soldier who has lost his memory, but the tensions in the group of three women who care for him. There's his luxury-loving wife, who's rather brittle and girly, his cousin Jenny (whom one suspects is in love with Chris) and unfashionable, plain, deep Margaret, a former love to whom Chris wants to return, trauma having erased his marriage completely from his mind.

It's short and very readable but not shallow; it has truth about it. Rebecca West is writing from observations.

Gwyn

#4 susan kitchen

susan kitchen

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy. History. Social history. Most aspects of WW1. Some aspects of WW2. Collecting old postcards. Reading, walking. Antique shops. Antique and vintage Jewellery. Charity work.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

Thanks all. I'll read it.
S