Photo

Royal Fleet Auxiliary

16 replies to this topic

#1 JenniferS

JenniferS

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Family Heratige! Grandfather and Uncles that served in the wars!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

Hello I have purchased my grandfather's service log from the British Archives and they mention a few ships he served on however I cannot understand the hand writing of one of the ships can some one help please?
He served on the RFA Bacchus 1916 (when he enlisted) then on the Egmont I & IV 1919 then onother that looks like 'Isonys' or 'Leonzo' or any combination you can come up with! I just cannot read it. he was on ths one from 25/02/1919 to 31/07/1919. He was from Malta and served in the Admiralty RFA he later bacame a Petty Officer. I hope some one can help me please. thank you.

#2 horatio2

horatio2

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

Here is some information on RFA BACCHUS:-
http://www.historica...org/rfa-bacchus
HMS EGMONT was the Base Ship and Accounting Base at Malta.
The 'mystery' ship could be the Fleet Messenger HMS ISONZO (formerly SS ISIS):-
http://www.clydesite...ip.asp?id=15030
http://www.iwm.org.u...em/object/17518

#3 Gibeltarik

Gibeltarik

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 198 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

Further details on RFA Bacchus can be found at http://www.oldweathe...53e0a0c91004ca0 - you will need to click on the 'View all logs' on the right hand side of your computer screen and then on each of the URL's (sorry, there are a very large number of them - they cover most of the period from April 1916 through to October 1919. Nearly every page is the page for one day for the Bacchus.

Gibeltarik

#4 JenniferS

JenniferS

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

Thank you all so very much! I've found the information on the HMS Isonzo and also looked at that Bacchus Log and found info on the date he signed on.............this is so great!
I do have a few more questions if thats OK..............My Grandfather's name was Carlo Zarb-Cousin and on his medal charts I found there are some notations I don't understand either..............eg: where they should have put his country Malta they noted 'do'?? what does that mean? Also his rating has OMS III? I know OS is ordinary seaman but the other I don't know?again your help is appreciated. Thank you.

#5 horatio2

horatio2

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

"do" = ditto, Was the man above him in the list from Malta?
OMS III = Officers' Mess Steward 3rd Class.
The Fleet Air Arm Museum should hold his original enlistment papers.

#6 daggers

daggers

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 3,631 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

Deleted. A better answer beat me to it.D

#7 JenniferS

JenniferS

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

Thank you horatio2 I'd searched everywhere I could think of for the OMS abreviation, you are the only one that answered it, and yes the man above was from Malta too so you have answered thank you.

Thanks daggers for trying!

To finish off the evening could you also confirm some things for me............... on the photograph I have of him he is wearing a white peacked hat with dark rim and shiny band with a petty officers badge centrally placed on it, his left arm has a white anchor sewn on above 3 V's which I found to be good conduct chevrons also in white!
He wears the 3 medals - British War medal, Victory Medal and the Mercentile Marine Medal.

From all this am I right to presume him to be a Leading Seaman Petty Officer 2nd class?..........because.................. next to his name on the medal roll (March 1935) they've printing 'Std' in the rating/ranking column so again I'm confused!
Also............. in the Reference to Payment of Gratuity under A/c the name Owen Elych is signed...........is that just the person in charge that day? all the others above have a ship name!!

This is all new to me and I'm really appreciating your help!

Jennifer
:)

#8 JenniferS

JenniferS

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:43 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm still waiting for a reply to my last post...............sorry to be so pushy but I would really appreciate an answer to those few questions as soon as anyone can thankyou!
This a photo of my grandfather with his had and arm insignia's....................as I mentioned in my last post, I'm hoping this will help to identify what his rank actually was!

Posted Image:)

#9 horatio2

horatio2

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

Not a Petty Officer but a Leading Hand. The badges are probably gold - certainly not white.

You will have noticed the notation on his record "Transferred to card". This means his service continued beyond 1929 but this part is still held by the Ministry of Defence. This link will explain how you can claim his later record:-
http://www.veterans-...ce_records.html

The notation "Traced medal 10.3.32" shows that he was awarded the Naval Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. It is most unlikely that he qualified for the Mercantile Marine Medal.

Edited by horatio2, 08 May 2012 - 08:20 AM.

#10 JenniferS

JenniferS

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

I have looked up the badge on his cap and it is definately a Petty Officer's with the anchor within a circle and the crown above!
This I have checked up on!
I found that the anchor on the left upper arm means a leading Seaman but the one's I found were all red...............judging by his photo it is definately not red, so I'm stuck on that,
same with the chevrons all images I found were red!

The other querie is why have they put Sto in the rank column on his medal roll??

It is all so intreaging but so time consuming especially when I don't really kow where to look..........................I also just found out he lived in Tunisia for a period while in the service.........
have no idea where to start to find out what, where and why he was there??

Also yes you are right his record was transfered to card on 1st Jan 1929!
The medals were traced to the 10/03/32 but in his actual medal rolls 1793 - 1972 the long service and good conduct medal was awarded in March 1935?
As for the other two medals I found the roll for both the Victory and the British War medal 1914-1920 ..............no date of award handed though; only name, rank, number, medals, how issued or dispursed of (which has his ship name the Egmont in the column) that's it!

I do apologise for all the questions, I just really want to learn all about him.
Thank you for all your help!

#11 horatio2

horatio2

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

It is not a Petty Officer's cap badge but the badge worn by ratings (like officers' stewards) who wore 'fore-and'aft' rig (jacket and tie, as opposed to 'square rig', the 'normal' seaman's uniform). Red badges were working uniform, gold badges for 'best' uniform.
The notation on his medal roll entry is Std (Steward) not Sto (Stoker).
You need his later record to sort the Tunisia matter.

#12 JenniferS

JenniferS

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

Thank you so much horatio2 now I understand and have a better picture of who he was, at least I now what his rating was and let the family know!

I really appreciate all your help!

#13 JenniferS

JenniferS

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

Hello, I am so excited, I have just been sent some more photos of my grandfather from Malta and in these it shows that he has something
sewn to to the top of his pocket left side, again I do not know what these mean, do they also add to his rating?

Also I am trying to make note of his full rating and exactly what his role was so that I can surprise my mother with the information
and photos of his medals so combining what has been said to me in all the above replies;

Am I correct to identify him as a 'Leading Officer's Mess Steward 3rd class'?
Or does the patch on his top pocket mean something else aslo?

I have attached photos to help out!

Attached Files

#14 KizmeRD

KizmeRD

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

Or does the patch on his top pocket mean something else aslo?

I presume when you refer to a patch on his top pocket, you are actually talking about his medal ribbons.
mb

#15 JenniferS

JenniferS

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

No I am refering to the photos of him standing where you can see like a band or something over the top pocket!
Do you know what these are?

#16 michaeldrMkII

michaeldrMkII

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

Jennifer,

MB is right:
That's the way that medal ribbons are worn when you are not actually wearing the decorations themselves

Michael

#17 JenniferS

JenniferS

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

Oh OK Sorry I didn't know, that's interesting.
So my original description on his full rating then is of a 'Leading Officer's Mess Steward' Is that correct??