#1 THE SHINY SEVENTH

THE SHINY SEVENTH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,651 posts
  • Interests:7th (city of london) Battalion
    Researching the Rainham War Memorial

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

This U.S. knife was part of Peter Mason's(of WW2 fame)collection. A friend of mine now own's this, amongst other knives of which were presentation pieces to the same man. Thought I would post it for anyone interested in viewing. Not sure that it is particularly rare, but an interesting piece considering one of its previous owners. The scabbard has what looks like Brader Brothers 1917 on the leather end. Regards Sean

Attached Files

#2 shippingsteel

shippingsteel

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,406 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

An interesting knife - I haven't seen one like it before. I don't think it is GW issue, but perhaps it is a specially made presentation piece, or later issue.?
I believe the scabbard is GW issue for the M1917 bolo knife.? It was made by Brauer Bros. who also made the M1910 scabbards for the Springfields.

Cheers, S>S

#3 Sommewalker

Sommewalker

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 491 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

It is a WW2 Case V44 knife. They were issued in plain leather scabbards as they were originally intended for issue to Aircrew as a survival knife, as part of the 'bail-out' pack, but this soon disintegrated if carried on the belt in Jungle conditions and so the scabbards of the WW1 Bolo Knife (as shown)or the Hospital knife were often pressed into service. There were also Australian made copies. SW

#4 THE SHINY SEVENTH

THE SHINY SEVENTH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

Thanks s>s, the scabbard is without doubt WW1 but the knife did raise suspicion with me, although it does seem to fit nicely with the scabbard. To me, it looks more like a jungle knife, which as we know, were pretty scarse in France around this period!!!! Regards Sean

Edit: sorry SW, we must of posted at the same time. Bolo knife, that's it! I shall google the V44 to check resembance, thanks.

#5 THE SHINY SEVENTH

THE SHINY SEVENTH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

Well done lad's, you are spot on. 1917 scabbard for a Bolo, and a V44(WW2). As I mentioned, it is part of a small collection of ex-Mason knives, and this one was of the least interest to my friend, as the others have some provenance. It was the handle as much as anything that raised my suspicions. Apparently, the Bolo was used by MGC for clearing shrubs etc for better vision, similar to the German sawback bayonet I suppose? Thanks again for your expert help, regards Sean

#6 THE SHINY SEVENTH

THE SHINY SEVENTH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

This is what should be in that scabbard!!

Attached Files