tstewa

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:4th Gordon Highlanders
    3/3 Scottish Horse
    Battle of Cambrai 21st November 1917

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

I have found that a Squadron of King Edwards Horse Cavalry were involved with the 154th Brigade of the 51st Division during the Battle of Cambrai especially on the 21st of November 1917.

Does anybody have the K.E.H diaries or would be able to help me with info on them??

Cheers

#2 Siege Gunner

Siege Gunner

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,470 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

I don't have the diaries, but I do have photos of the KEH memorial in the communal cemetery at Vieille Chapelle. If interested, PM me an e-mail address and I will send them to you.

#3 Steven Broomfield

Steven Broomfield

General

• Old Sweats
  • 13,015 posts
  • Interests:10th Royal Hussars (PWO), 11th Hussars (PAO), The Royal Hussars (PWO), The King's Royal Hussars

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

Oddly enough I have just been reading the relevant Chapters of Anglesey's A History of the British Cavalry (Vol 8, to be precise).

One Squadron of the KEH was attached to 51st Division to maintain liaison with the 1st Cavalry Division, who were awaiting the expected breakthrough.

#4 tstewa

tstewa

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 153 posts
    3/3 Scottish Horse

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

thanks for the replies.

I have a section of the war diary from the 154th Brigade, 51st Division for the first few days of the Battle of Cambrai. It often refers to Squadrons of K.E.H doing reconnaissance & patrols for the 154th on the 21st

I was wanting to see how much detail the KEH diaries might have had and how it sounded from their perspective, as my interest is in trying to get an overall perspective from as many units that i can find that were involved with the 51st, 154th on the 21st.
Thanks for the offers and help
Toby

#5 agent13

agent13

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

Hi...

Noted your comments on the 1st King Edwards Horse & Cambrai - it was the A Squadron that was attached to the 51st Division, while the rest of the regiment was under direct orders of the 186th Brigade of the 62nd Division.

The role of A Squadron (Major Furse) on the first day was

to maintain liaison between the 51st Division and the 1st Cavalry Division

to be ready to send patrols on Cantaing and Anneux

in certain eventualities to cover the advance of the 154th Brigade upon Fontaine-Notre-Dame.

Owing, however to the failure of the attack upon Flesquieres the Squadron had little to do that day and passed the night at Metz-en-Couture. On the 21st they followed the Division after the capture of Flesquieres and during the next two days did much useful patrolling and liaison work. On the evening of the 23rd the Squadron was sent to relieve a Squadron of the Queens bays in the line at Cantaing and remained in occupation of this position of the line until relieved on the 25th by the 11th Motor Machine Gun Battery. On the 26th after leaving with the Guards Division, which had relieved the 51st, certain patrol for liaison and reconnaissance, the Squadron went back to Metz. Here they remained until the 30th, when in compliance with orders, they left to rejoin the regiment at Villers-au-Flos.

This was taken from the History of the King Edwards Horse (pages 230 to 244 cover Cambrai).

Kind Regards

agent13

#6 tstewa

tstewa

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 153 posts
    3/3 Scottish Horse

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:18 AM

Thanks for the info agent 13.