Household Battalion

6 replies to this topic

#1 shemmers

shemmers

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

I am off to Belgium tomorrow to the Tyne Cot Memorial. My grandfather was a Trooper in the Household Battalion and was killed in the 3rd battle of Ypres. Can anybody tell me what the role of a Trooper was?

Thankyou :poppy:

#2 Steven Broomfield

Steven Broomfield

General

• Old Sweats
  • 14,047 posts
  • Interests:10th Royal Hussars (PWO), 11th Hussars (PAO), The Royal Hussars (PWO), The King's Royal Hussars

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

Private soldier. In the GW, the rank of Trooper applied only to the lowest rank of the Household Cavalry (1st Life Guards, 2nd Life Guards and Royal Horse Guards), all other cavalry units still using "Private".

Trooper was introduced to Line Cavalry post-war.

Basically, your man was a Private.

#3 David Underdown

David Underdown

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,611 posts
  • Interests:The Rolls of Honour of the Central Council for Church Bell Ringers, and the Surrey Association of Church Bell Ringers.

Also remembering my Great-Great-Uncle Pte 30649 Frederick John Holbrook, 2nd Bn, Welsh Regiment, Died of Wounds 26 July 1916, buried Heilly Station Cemetery, II D 11 aged 19 according to CWGC, but born 5 May 1898. Entered France 12 May 1915. (Avatar)

Staff member (Digital Preservation) at The National Archives, but here in a personal capacity.

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

But of course the Household Battalion was an infantry unit, raised from men not required to serve in the mounted role with the Household Cavalry

#4 Steven Broomfield

Steven Broomfield

General

• Old Sweats
  • 14,047 posts
  • Interests:10th Royal Hussars (PWO), 11th Hussars (PAO), The Royal Hussars (PWO), The King's Royal Hussars

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

But still retaining Household Cavalry ranks, so your chap was a cavalryman on foot.

#5 shemmers

shemmers

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

Thankyou for your comments.

#6 Chris_Baker

Chris_Baker

General

• Old Sweat
  • 13,983 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

Not sure how much detail you have already, shemmers, but you may find this useful: http://www.1914-1918...householdbn.htm

#7 David Underdown

David Underdown

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,611 posts
  • Interests:The Rolls of Honour of the Central Council for Church Bell Ringers, and the Surrey Association of Church Bell Ringers.

Also remembering my Great-Great-Uncle Pte 30649 Frederick John Holbrook, 2nd Bn, Welsh Regiment, Died of Wounds 26 July 1916, buried Heilly Station Cemetery, II D 11 aged 19 according to CWGC, but born 5 May 1898. Entered France 12 May 1915. (Avatar)

Staff member (Digital Preservation) at The National Archives, but here in a personal capacity.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:41 AM

I should also add that the service records for these men were not with those badly affected by bombing in WWII, but at the RHQ in Windsor. They were transferred to The National Archives just a few years ago, and form series WO 400. They have not been digitised, but can be seen at Kew.