RGA.batteries information

local connections when formed

14 replies to this topic

#1 tony paley

tony paley

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 654 posts
  • Interests:all aspects of WW1 in particulary Heavy Artillery and Irish Units.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

For several years I have been researching the batteries that served within 84 HAG/Brigade RGA. between March 1917 and November 1918. I have the 84 HAG unit diary, and the surviving diaries of some of the batteries. Recently I have compiled a 'Roll of honour' of men KIA , as far as I can ,when those involved were with the above HAG/Brigade. I have noticed that a few of the batteries have a regional title, for example 145 (Cheshire) Heavy Battery, 152(Hackney)Battery,and 83 (Caenarvonshire) Siege Battery RGA. Also some of the batteries seem to have a concentration of personnel from a particular area. The north east, southampton, and Edinburgh are examples. no doubt where the coastal artillery forts were located. does any of the Heavy Artillery afficienados have a list of RGA units and their origins. the 84 HAG/Bgde. diary only uses the number, it is only when researching a casualty or the battery diary, and sometimes on our site, that I have come accross the regional inclusion in the battery title. I do appreciated that the majority of the batteries, particularly the siege, do not have a regional title, even when raised from a particular area. I do have a list of the pre war RGA. companies, and have considered that these units could have been the source of many of the Heavy Artillery batteries that were raised post 1915 during the rapid expansion of Heavy Artillery.

Tony P

#2 kevrow

kevrow

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

Hi Tony,

As you say a lot of the batteries would have had a regional flavour as most would have had a "nucleus" of local TF gunners and the battery brought up to strength by new recruits posted to that particular TF assoc. Given that the "nucleus" could be any amount, depending on who was available, the regional identity was variable. Obviously the locally raised heavy batteries were predominantly local men, but even these would have had a few older trained gunners and regular NCOs. Rather than going through all the allocations it would be quicker if you posted the batteries you are specifically interested in. The 83rd Siege Battery was formed at Sheerness on the 15th November 1915 so interesting that you have seen it called 83rd Caernarvonshire.

Kevin

#3 Ron Clifton

Ron Clifton

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,713 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

Hello Tony

The places of raising of Heavy and Siege Batteries are given in Lineage Book of the British Armed Forces Volume 2 by J B M Frederick. Your local library may have a copy, or be able to get one for you via the inter-library loan service.

Most of the named batteries seem to have had a New Army "Pals-type" method of raising.

Ron

#4 tony paley

tony paley

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 654 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for both replies. Kevin I thought the Caernarvon reference was very unusual. I do have some small publications regarding individual Siege battereies and although it is clear that some have a loca bias, for example several raised in Tyneside, I had not seen a Siege Battery with a local reference in their title, including 83 Siege. I found the reference on the CWGC site, and the soldier concerned was in fact from Caernarvon. It was this that prompted my post . I have several 'lists'that include TF. Heavy Batteries. Down to the local Library then.
Tony P

#5 tony paley

tony paley

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

I have found a list of all RGA units, worldwide, that I had downloaded from this very forum a couple of years ago. Within that section of the list dealing with TF. units, one is listed 'Welsh' (Carnarvonshire) based at Bangor. Maybe a nucleus from this unit was used when 83 siege Battery was raised.
Tony P

#6 odin432

odin432

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:128th and 132nd Oxfordshire RGA

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hi Tony
I have a great uncle who served with the Welsh (Carnarvonshire) RGA (TF), Duncan Roberts, Gunner 310205, born in Beamaris, he was Killed in Action on the 14th of Feb 1917,
I also have a Great uncle that seved with the 128th Oxfordshire HB RGA
Dave

#7 tony paley

tony paley

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 654 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

Dave,
I looked at the CWGC entry for your Great uncle. Interestingly he is shown as serving with 1/1st Heavy Battery (Welsh) RGA. I just thought it strange that 83 siege Battery unusually included the regional title (Caernarvonshire) on the entry for a Welsh gunner who was KIA near ypres. Two other gunners from the same unit simply had 83 Siege Battery RGA. the spelling I used was the one on the CWGC entry. his home was Carnarvon. 83 siege was equipped with two 12" railway guns. different from 60pdrs.
Tony P

#8 kevrow

kevrow

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

It is highly likely that Gnr. 310053 DW Hughes was an original member of 1/1 Welsh HB and was later transferred to the 83rd SB. I would suggest that the naming of this battery was a mistake by the GWGC. Siege batteries were considered "regular" units and I have only come across one siege battery that used a place name in its title. Whether this was actually official is another matter.

Kevin

#9 hywyn

hywyn

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweat
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

I can confirm that 310053 Hughes was a Welsh (Carnarvon) RGA man. Numerous newspaper articles refer to him as such.The report of his death states that he was due a commission the week he died and also that he was due a fortnight leave to get married. He is not on the 1st 1st Welsh (Carnarvon) RGA memorial at Bangor but he is on their Medal Rolls. Unfortunately the Rolls do not show movements between units. My study of their numbering gives his pre-1917 number as 298. Enlistment late 1911, early 1912. No papers that I can see.

His brother, Thomas Richard Hughes was also a pre war Territorial but with the 6th Bn RWF as Pte 1146. He went to France Aug/Sept 1916 and was renumbered 53750 on being posted from the IBD to 1st RWF.

Hywyn

Hywyn

#10 ianjonescl

ianjonescl

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,089 posts
  • Interests:Royal Artillery - RFA / RGA / RHA
    Northumbrian Gunner Units
    - 50th (Northumbrian) Div Arty
    - 63rd (Royal Naval) Div Artry
    - Tynemouth RGA
    - Durham RGA
    - 160th (Wearside) Brigade RFA
    - 151st (Darlington) Heavy Battery RGA

Tyneside Scottish
    (20th - 23rd Northumberland Fusiliers)

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

I have found a list of all RGA units, worldwide, that I had downloaded from this very forum a couple of years ago. .
Tony P

Tony

Do you have the link to that post ?

The Lineage Book of the British Armed Forces Volume 2 by J B M Frederick does not list any titles with Siege Batteries.

However I have come across a titled Siege battery on the CWGC web site. The 41 SB is recorded as 41st (Durham) Siege Battery for some casulaties. The Battery was formed from half Durham RGA and half Hong Kong and Singapore RGA. In the Albert Communal extension cemetery a communal grave to 12 soldiers killed in a single incident has those originating from the Durham RGA as 41st (Durham) Siege Battery, the remainder as 41st Siege Battery.

Ian

#11 tony paley

tony paley

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 654 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

Ian,
I don't know whether the list will help you. It relates to the Coastal companies RGA. as they existed in 1914. Including Regular, TF, and overseas units. It was posted on 29 November 2005. Buit it might be from the L.L.T. You nprbably have already seen this one.
Tony P

#12 odin432

odin432

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 202 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

Hi Tony
128th, 132nd, 135th and 156th were all Oxfordshire Heavy Batteries, formed in 1915, 128th started recruiting on the 15th of March 1915, all Batteries were raised by Lt Colonel Hamersley, HQ being at Exeter College Oxford
Dave

#13 barryb

barryb

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 278 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:40 AM

Hello Dave,

Whilst not wishing to hijack this thread, i was wondering if you have any info on the whereabouts of the 132nd Oxfordshire HB in October 1916.
I'm researching a Gunner William Greenwood who supposedly won the Military Medal during that month.

Barry.

#14 odin432

odin432

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

Hi Barry

Gunner William Abraham Greenwood 476 renumbered 291846, of St Ebbes Oxford was serving with the 132nd Heavy Battery RGA, in October they were with the 156th Battery supporting the Canadian Corps in the area of Albert, there is no mention of William being awarded the MM in the war diary of the 55th Heavy Artillery Group. CWGC and SDGW have him as recived a MM at some point,
Hope this helps
Dave

#15 Will Morris

Will Morris

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Grandfather 2nd Lt GE Morris 1/6th RWF, brothers Capt Robert Parry Morris (1893-1917) 1/1st Welsh Heavy Battery RGA and L/Cpl Charles Roberston Morris (1897-1920) 16th RWF. Great Uncles Jack & Harold Lawrence 4th Staffordshire RFA, Geoff Lawrence RNAS.

An enormous thank you to the forum members who've provided me with so much invaluable information.

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hi Dave

My great uncle was also with the Welsh battery. He was Capt Robert Parry Morris killed 27/10/17 nr Zillibeke. Thanks to the chaps here I've wealth of information on his service & achievements. I've put up a photo of the memorial in Bangor which I took in June. It shows Duncan Roberts, top left, and RPM and fellow officers - Dargie, Parker et al.

Will
Attached File  Bangor.jpg   122.97KB   0 downloads