16 replies to this topic

#1 starstrike

starstrike

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

Hi there
I've been reading through the Forums for the last few days seeking information on the Connaught Rangers. My Great Grandfather was from Belfast and joined up soon after the outbreak of war. I think he was 17 or 18 at the time so no census information is available on him. From anecdoatal accounts, he was captured as a POW early in the war (I'm assuming within the first year ) after seeing action in Flanders. He spent the rest of the war in a P.O.W. camp (or perhaps was moved I don't know) where he survived Spainish Influenza and was one of very few men in his regiment to make it back home. I have his MIC card but it doesn't have much information apart from the fact that he was awarded his Victory and British medals but no Star. It lists his regiment number as 4035. I was wondering if anyone can help me piece this information together a little better, in particular I would like to find out what Battalion he was a member of, I can't seem to find him in any records. Is there any reliable way to link a regiment number to a battalion as I know they are a little confusing prior to 1922?

Thank you for your time

#2 HERITAGE PLUS

HERITAGE PLUS

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,411 posts
  • Interests:British Military History in general but mainly the period 1837-1919.
    Irish Military History mainly 1798, 1916 and 1919-23.
    Military & Brass Bands - Music and Instruments

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

Starstrike

Please tell us his name.

Dave

#3 ulsterlad2

ulsterlad2

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

Hi Starstrike.

Was he Catholic? I think I see a possible link on the 1911 census. Son of Josiah and Rose Ann Duffy of 42 Killown Street, Belfast. Aged 13.

In the 1901 census he's aged 3 and living at 78 Greenore Street, Belfast.

#4 ulsterlad2

ulsterlad2

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

Actually, I should have said: I'm assuming that he was Andrew Duffy 4035 Connaught Rangers.

#5 archangel9

archangel9

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,497 posts
  • Interests:Connaught Rangers. Cycling. Great War.

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

From your description the only Bn. which fits is the 6th Bn. -

http://www.1914-1918.net/connaught.htm

6th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Kilworth in September 1914 as part of K2 and attached to 47th Brigade in 16th (Irish) Division. Moved to Fermoy. Moved to England in September 1915, going to Blackdown.
18 December 1915 : landed in France.
13 April 1918 : reduced to cadre, almost 300 troops going to the 2nd Bn, the Leinster Regiment.
3 August 1918 : disbanded in France after brief spells under 34th and 39th Divisions.

He entered theatre after 31/12/1915 and the only Connaught Rangers in F&F at the time were the 6th.

John

#6 archangel9

archangel9

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

Correction - he has two MIC's. One with the BW & V Medal and a second showing entitlement to a 14-15 Star and entry to Theatre on 17/12/1915 -

http://www.nationala...=1&mediaarray=*

Definitely 6th Bn.

John

#7 archangel9

archangel9

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

The war diary is available from Documents online -

http://www.nationala...1&resultcount=1
16 DIVISION, 47 INFANTRY BRIGADE: 9 Battalion Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) 1918 May - 1919 Apr./ 6 Battalion Connaught Rangers 1915 Dec. - 1918 July/ 6 Battalion Royal Irish Regiment 1915 Dec. - 1918 Feb./ 7 Battalion Leinster Regiment 1915 Dec. - 1918 Feb./ 14 Battalion Leicestershire Regiment 1918 Aug. - 1919 Apr.

All for £3.50.

John

#8 mhifle

mhifle

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

I think his regimental number would have him enlisting at the end of Feb / start of April 1915.

Regards Mark

#9 starstrike

starstrike

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

Wow! I can not thank you guys enough, Ulsterlad2 you are correct he was Andrew Duffy. I'm completley shocked at the wealth of information you guys were able to come up with I've been searching for a while and was obviously out of my depth! I downloaded the war diary and am still going through it, some amazing stuff to read. It's like you all have helped really cement a piece of my family history, thank you for your kindness and willingness to help! I'll post a little more when I have sorted through the information.

Once again, many thanks
Duffy

#10 ulsterlad2

ulsterlad2

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

No problem Duffy. Always glad to help out where possible. In case that was your family in the census, here are the links.

1911 Census: http://www.census.na..._Street/214691/

1901 Census: http://www.census.na...Street/1210508/

#11 Paul

Paul

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

From anecdoatal accounts, he was captured as a POW early in the war (I'm assuming within the first year ) after seeing action in Flanders. He spent the rest of the war in a P.O.W. camp (or perhaps was moved I don't know) where he survived Spainish Influenza and was one of very few men in his regiment to make it back home.

I have come across a reference to a Private Andrew Duffy from an Irish regiment who gave evidence regarding Sir R Casement's visit to Limburg (POW?) Camp entreating Irish POWs to form a battalion of the German Army. It gives the reference 'Pro WO 141/15 - Sir R Casement's visits to Limburg Camp'. I have tried to locate this document in both PRO Northern Ireland and TNA Kew websites, without success. Admittedly, I am hopeless at finding archived documents but maybe someone else on GWF can locate this document and throw some further light on Starstrike's thread.

Paul.

#12 archangel9

archangel9

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Paul,

http://www.nationala...ATREF=WO 141/15

John

#13 Paul

Paul

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

Thanks John, I hope Starstrike sees your link and investigates further.

#14 KGB

KGB

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:Connaught Rangers, North Irish Horse, Royal Irish Fusiliers, Royal Irish Regiment, Royal Irish Rifles.

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

I was wondering what happened with the 1st Bn Connaught's on 7th April 1915, are there any war diaries extant?

#15 archangel9

archangel9

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

7th April 1915. Rouge Croix.
Lieut-Colonel Ravenshaw C.M.G. appointed A.A. & Q.M.G. 1st Division and relinquishes command of the battalion, his departure being much regretted by all ranks. Lieut.-Colonel S.J. Murray assumes command of the Battalion.

Party of pioneers promised last night to repair the communications trench to the Advanced Post did not arrive and another party promised for tonight.

Sanitary conditions of the Advanced Post now much improved as dead cow and all dead bodies inside the Post have now been in some way disposed of. The dead round the post it is impossible to reach though efforts to drag them inside the post with a rope and bury them were made. But with such heavy sniping going on it is almost impossible to move at night.

C Coy in Right Fire Trench relieved by A Coy from billets. D Coy proceeds to billets.

1 killed. 2 wounded. 3 to hospital.

The man killed was as you know 4240 Pte. Malachy Furey.

John

#16 Ron Clifton

Ron Clifton

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,567 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hello Paul (and Starstrike)

Class WO141 used to be a "closed" class at Kew, as most of the documents in it were restricted for more than the normal 30 years. The documents in it are not available online but can (I believe) now be inspected by visiting Kew in person.

Starstrike - if a man form Belfast joined the Connaught Rangers I would agree with Ulsterlad2 that he was probably a Catholic, or he would have been more likely to have joined one of the Ulster regiments. As you have already found out, researching a soldier's service is not a straightforward affair but there are a lot of people on the Forum who have followed the same path and are willing to share their shortcuts and hints with you.

Good hunting!

Ron

#17 KGB

KGB

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:Connaught Rangers, North Irish Horse, Royal Irish Fusiliers, Royal Irish Regiment, Royal Irish Rifles.

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

7th April 1915. Rouge Croix.
Lieut-Colonel Ravenshaw C.M.G. appointed A.A. & Q.M.G. 1st Division and relinquishes command of the battalion, his departure being much regretted by all ranks. Lieut.-Colonel S.J. Murray assumes command of the Battalion.

Party of pioneers promised last night to repair the communications trench to the Advanced Post did not arrive and another party promised for tonight.

Sanitary conditions of the Advanced Post now much improved as dead cow and all dead bodies inside the Post have now been in some way disposed of. The dead round the post it is impossible to reach though efforts to drag them inside the post with a rope and bury them were made. But with such heavy sniping going on it is almost impossible to move at night.

C Coy in Right Fire Trench relieved by A Coy from billets. D Coy proceeds to billets.

1 killed. 2 wounded. 3 to hospital.

The man killed was as you know 4240 Pte. Malachy Furey.

John

Dear John, Thanks so much for that. No I did not know that it was my relative who was k.i.a, I never read that excerpt before and only found out about him when looking for my Great-Great-Grandad (same name). Malachy is buried nearby at Laventie. I just wondered if that action had a name (battle of Neuve Chapelle, Aubers) the dates did not fit. I hope to visit his grave before the years end, I managed his cousin Patrick in August, but public transport stymied me. Once again Dia dhuit! K.