No War Diary?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Beselare

Beselare

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 688 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

I am trying to piece together the movements of the 1/8th Battn., Argyll & Sutherland Higlanders from June to August 1918. There is nothing online at Kew and I asked a friend in London to look up the diary on her next visit. She went yesterday and was told that no war diary exists for this regiment. Whilst not doubting the knowledge level of the National Archives, could this have been an erroneous statement?

If it is correct, then some record must have been kept of their movements. They were part of the 45th Brigade, 15th (Scottish) Division from June 1918 to the Armistice. The 45th Brigade included the 13th Royal Scots, 6th Queens Own Cameron Highlanders and the 6/7th Royal Scots Fusiliers. I cannot find any reference to the 45th Brigade online, or indeed ot the 15th Division. I am now at a bit of a loss. Can anyone please point me in the right direction to enable me to find out the information I need. The only snippet of information I have from the internet is that the Argylls were involved in "The final advance in Artois".

Many thanks

Bob

#2 skipman

skipman

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 11,363 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hi Bob. Might be worth contacting The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders Museum.

http://www.argylls.c.../contact-museum

They do keep diaries, and I managed to get a copy of a few months, a few years back (for a small donation)

Cheers Mike

#3 PPCLI

PPCLI

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,669 posts
  • Interests:1. The King's Own Scottish Borderers, particularly the 1/5th (Dumfries and Galloway) Battalion, and 2. Researching men and women from Kirkcudbrightshire who served during WW1

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

It certainly does exist. Poor service at Kew I'm sorry to say.

WO 95/1944: 8 Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 1918 Mar - 1919 Nov

Best wishes,

Stuart

#4 Patrick Watt

Patrick Watt

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Highlanders battalions in the Great War, especially the 4th and 6th Cameron Highlanders.

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

Hi there

From the Divisional History

Until July, 45 Brigade was based around Arras before moving south to near Soissons (Marne sector) in mid-July. 1/8th Argylls unlucky when moving through Coeuvres village when bombed by an aeroplane (losing 4 OR killed, 1 officer and 20 OR wounded)

On evening of 22 July the 8th Argylls took over the line just south of Berczy

23 July - 45 Brigade tasked with capturing Le Sucrerie, south-west of Noyant and the crossings of the River Crise, east and north of Noyant. The 8th Argylls attacked on the left of the brigade with the 6th Camerons on the right. 45 Brigade suffered severely. The Camerons took Le Sucrerie but the Argylls hadn't advanced up with them and they extended along the whole brigade front. It seems that the brigade runners were all killed and the argylls front companies did not get their orders before zero hour. Neither of the French divisions on the 15th Division's flanks advanced leaving the Scots isolated.

On 28 July the Argylls attacked again on the northern edge of the wood south of Chivry Farm.

1 August - the Argylls were in reserve for the brigade attack on the Soissons Road from Villemontoire. They were then relieved and had ten days rest before moving back to Arras

15 August - the Division took over trenches at the River Scarpe

23 August - the Division moved to Loos

Hope this helps

Patrick

#5 Beselare

Beselare

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

To Mike, Stuart and Patrick

Many thanks ideed for your help. I am trying to find the location where Sgt. David Walmsley won his MM. With the area narrowed down significantly and two more leads to follow, I am hoping for some success.

Bob

#6 Malcolm

Malcolm

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

I have the diary ( WO95/1944) for the time you mention. It was the move to the Marne and Buzancy where the 15th Division attacked towards Berzy le Sec and then found the French either side hadn't!! There is a monument to 15th Division in Buzancy.
Aye
Malcolm

Attached Files

#7 Beselare

Beselare

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 688 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

Hi Malcolm

That is a wonderful image to have sent to me - thank you very much. I have asked my friend in London to go to Kew to get the pages for 22nd to 29th July 1918 inclusive. I don't know if this is possible for you, but if you could send me those pages, it would save her a lot of time. My e-mail address is: motcom@aol.com

Bob

#8 Malcolm

Malcolm

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

Sorry Bob,
I forgot. The diary pages I have are A3 and my scanner is A4! I'll see if I can do it.
Aye
Malcolm