Battle of Loos

5 replies to this topic

#1 COEURDELION87

COEURDELION87

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

I have been researching the Second Battle of Loos which I believe started around 25th Sept 1915. In total there were around 60,000 British casualties. In particular I am interested in the role of the Guards Division that was the Reserve and the subsequent role played by the 4th Battalion the PioneerS (part of the New Army I believe). If anyone has any information I'd be very grateful as I'm researching a book on 3 brothers who fought in WW1. Thanks!

#2 Coldstreamer

Coldstreamer

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,889 posts
  • Interests:Coldstream Guards medals and research WW1

Selling a large part of my collection - PM if interested in any medals

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

are all the brothers coldstreamers?

#3 Justin H

Justin H

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Gallipoli and Mesopotamian campaigns, Dorsetshire Regiment (2 and 5 Btns), Wiltshire Regiment, RGA TF. , The Coldstream, RASC, and Salisbury Plain during the war

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

Welcome to the forum

The 4th Battalion Coldstream Guards (Pioneers) were raised on formation of the Guards Division in early 1915 when the Grenadier, Coldstream and Irish Guards raised one battalion each and the Welsh Guards were created in February with one battalion and a reserve battalion at home thus bringing the Guards division up to 13 battalions. The 4th Coldstream were designated Pioneers and their role would have been to "construct field works, to keep in good repair the roads and approaches to the immediate front, and to assist the Royal Engineers in the many duties that trench warfare imposed upon them"

A list of the officers can be found in the Regimental History

The Guards Division were in reserve at Loos and when required were directed to Noeux Les Mines but owing to congestion moving up, were not in action until after midnight ie 26th September. The 4th Battallion did not arrive before 1.15 pm. The 3rd Brigade were in action near the Chalk Pit where No 2 Company of the 4th Battalion Coldstream assisted the Scots Guards entrenching during their relief of the Welsh Guards as they attempted to consolidate their gains under severe artillery fire

On 3rd October the 1st and 3rd Guards Brigates were in action near the Quarries and at Hihenzollern Redoubt the trenches were in poor repair and very shallow. The 4th were attached to the 1st Guards Brigade to help restore them

2 and 4 Companies of the 4th kept the 2nd Guards Brigade supplied with bombs and ammunition under "a searching fire" during the counter attack on the 8th October

Hope that helps

#4 COEURDELION87

COEURDELION87

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

Many thanks Coldstreamer & Justin H for your responses. Who is the best person to contact re Regimental History regarding the Loos action? Only 1 brother was in 4th Battallion CG.

#5 Coldstreamer

Coldstreamer

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,889 posts
  • Interests:Coldstream Guards medals and research WW1

Selling a large part of my collection - PM if interested in any medals

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

whats the coldstreamers name/number?

#6 COEURDELION87

COEURDELION87

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

Lieutenant Walter Frederick Hoblyn, 4th Battalion, CG, Died of Wounds either 1st/2nd Oct 1915..He had joined Artists Rifles initially c. Dec 1914 (with his elder brother who went into AOC & served at Gallipoli) and been gazetted into CG during Summer 1915....there are some anomalies between the Index Card and the CWGC details...Walter was allegedly hit by a 'spent' bullet and ended up in a Field Hospital near Bethune. If anyone can throw any light on his service record I'd be very interested in hearing more.Incidentally he had worked in Chile on a railroad before returning to UK in 1914 which may explain why he was of interest to the 4th battalion Pioneers. Walter's binoculars have been located by the IWM although family records suggest they were stolen from the family in the 1970's along with medals etc.

Many thanks 'Coldstreamer'!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Battle of Loos