Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:40 PM
A bit of misinformation above. This from Clothing Regs 1914.
Crossed rifles of all grades were a "skill-at-arms" badge and, as such, to be worn lower left by Infantry, cavalry and RE.
They could be worn by all ranks up to and including all types of Warrant Officer II class.
Officially in worsted, but many gilding metal ones were made and worn.
The regulations are not entirely clear as to whether ADDITIONAL crossed rifles badges could be worn on the left arm, but the fact is they often were.
The additional badges numbered four.
From the least to most prestigious:
with five point star, best shot company, squadron, band etc.
with five point star surrounded by wreath, best shot unit among junior ranks [up to full corporal]
with crown, surrounded by wreath, best shot unit L/Sgts and above, up to WO II
The rifles with crown were to be worn by all section commanders [sergeants and above in practice] of best shooting company etc.
The crossed rifles was also a badge of appointment, upper right arm, for qualified instructors.
Note that, whereas these badges can all be seen on arms in 1914/15, the annual unit shooting competitions were put in abeyance during the war, so all except the crossed rifles became very scarce "in wear"