Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:03 PM
For much of the First World War, Vlamertinghe (now Vlamertinge) was just outside the normal range of German shell fire and the village was used both by artillery units and field ambulances. Burials were made in the original Military Cemetery until June 1917, when the New Military Cemetery was begun in anticipation of the Allied offensive launched on this part of the front in July. Although the cemetery continued in use until October 1918, most of the burials are from July to December 1917.
So there seemed to be a concentration of artillery there and any wounded men would have gone straight to the several FAs first rather than being spread around a wider area with a wider range of FAs to go to?