22 replies to this topic

#1 EwenHardie

EwenHardie

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:1/4th Seaforth Highlanders & 2/4th Seaforths

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

Would it be possible for someone to copy the 4th Seaforth diary please.
Particularily interested in the dates Aug 1914 - Apr 1915 and Aug 1916 - June 1917.
Quite happy to pay for the time involved in doing this.

Also would the 2/4th Seaforths have had a diary of any kind for the period Nov 1914 - Aug 1916?

Hope someone can help out.
cheers
Ewen

#2 sfarrell

sfarrell

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

Ewen

there might be a copy of 4 Seaforth war diary held at Highland Council Archives (open Mon-Thur) at Bught Park, Inverness on disc. Copy of those held at Regimental Museum at Fort George.

Stuart

#3 EwenHardie

EwenHardie

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

stuart
many thanks I will check it out.
Ft george is shut until next year apparently redoing the museum.

Thanks
Ewen

#4 Griffner

Griffner

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:4th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders, 1st Cameron Highlanders, Supply and Transport corps in India/Mesopotamia.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

Hello !

I am also very keen for the 4th Seaforths' war diary, I wonder whether and where you managed to find it!

My great great uncle Alexander Mackenzie (202177), wounded in april 1917 with the 4th seaforths, managed to make it through the war.

#5 SPOF

SPOF

Brigadier-General

• Admin
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

The war diaries are not available at Kew until at least January for 1917 and February for the earlier period as they are being digitised. Hopefully it won't bre long after that they can be downloaded.

The 2/4th Seaforths never went abroad so they won't have a war diary.

#6 14th HLI

14th HLI

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:14th H.L.I.
    4th Seaforths.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

My granddads brother served with the battalion but was killed on the 8th November 1916. Consequently I have part of the 4th Seaforths War Diary covering the middle of 1916 to November 1916. I'm not sure of the exact dates but I'll have a look when I get home.

Steve :thumbsup:

#7 Griffner

Griffner

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:4th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders, 1st Cameron Highlanders, Supply and Transport corps in India/Mesopotamia.

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

If ever you dig them out, I'd be interested in having a look, seeing as I cannot yet download them from Kew (or at least until January !). Cheers.

#8 EwenHardie

EwenHardie

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:46 AM

Hi
where was your great uncle from?

#9 anthony ozzy

anthony ozzy

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:West & East Haddon, Ravensthorpe and Guilsborough Lads (Northamptonshire) 1914 - 1918 who did not return home.
    Northampton Saints Rugby

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Ewan,
haven't got the war diary I am afraid but there are a number of references to the 1/4th Seaforths and the 7th Meerut Division for early 1915, in particular diary extracts from Lieutenant Tennant, in Lyn MacDonald's "1915" - well worth a read. Lt Tennant is standing next to the right of a chap you helped me with (Lt Fitzroy) in a photo you sent me of the 1/4th Seaforths before they went to France.
The book covers the Battle of Neuve Chapelle

Following the 1/4th Seaforths involvement in the battle, the battalion war diary records the following:

March
...moved to billets near Locon on the 13th, Bout de la Ville 24th, then camp on the Estaires-La Basee road. Took over trenches in Duck's Bill sector 28th. Relieved on 31st and moved back to camp.

April
Marched via Vielle Chpelle and Port Levis to La Croix-Marmuse on 1st. Took over trenches in Front of Neuve Chapelle 11th. Positions recorded as near Brewery Road and in Hill's Redoubt. Lt MA Fitzroy killed by sniper on 16th. Relieved on 27th and to billets between the crossroads at Les Huit Maisons and Vielle Chapelle.

4th Battalion history gives more detail on Micheal’s death but as with the war diary extract it is an all too brief epitaph to well-educated young man with his whole life ahead of him:
"At one o’clock in the morning of the 16th Lieutentant Fitzroy was killed by a shot through the head. He was a splendid fellow and a fine officer - a great loss to the battalion"
An extract from a fellow officer’s diary paints a more graphic picture:
"About 4.30 I was called out on a sad errand to tell off men to take poor Fitzroy's body on a trolley to the FAP. He was hit last night in the listening post; the bullet went in at his back (he was standing outside...(indecipherable words) the building of the parados) traversed his lung and base of the heart and he was dead practically with no pain in very few minutes. As I walked down with his body the glorious rosy dawn seemed unspeakably tragic, lighting up the destruction of light and life and promise of a manful day. He was one of the nicest and most capable, as he was very certainly one of the most officerly and gentlemanly of the subalterns and his loss to the Batt. is serious.”

Hope this little snippet helps?

Ant

#10 EwenHardie

EwenHardie

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

Ant
thanks for the post, good to hear from you again.
Which officers diary do you refer to? ( An extract from a fellow officer’s diary paints a more graphic picture:)
I was in touch with a relative of Lt Tennant recently.

cheers
Ewen

#11 anthony ozzy

anthony ozzy

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:West & East Haddon, Ravensthorpe and Guilsborough Lads (Northamptonshire) 1914 - 1918 who did not return home.
    Northampton Saints Rugby

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

Ewen,
do you know; I'm not certain - I'll have a trawl through the bit and bobs I've gathered later today (just off to work) and see if I can find out - it may have been a quote I've found somewhere on the forum?
Did Lt Tennant make it through the war? The relatives may have access to his diary?
If I find any more out I'll drop you a line - I've just started reading "1915" again so if I come across anything I think you may be interested in I'll forward it on.
All the best and good luck!

Ant

#12 anthony ozzy

anthony ozzy

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 433 posts
    Northampton Saints Rugby

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

Ewan,
the diary extract was posted on another thread about the 1/4th Seaforth Highlanders - officers equipment - earlier this year posted by 'Kwachman'. Drop him a line - he may be able to help - I'll send him a PM too as this period is of interest to me also.

Good luck!

Ant

#13 EwenHardie

EwenHardie

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

Ant
it was Kwachman I was in touch with, sadly lt Tennant did not make it through the war.
Picked up a copy of 1915 via ebay.

Cheers
Ewen

#14 Turns88

Turns88

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

Hello,

I have been researching my Grandfathers service with the 1/4 Seaforth Highlanders during WW1 and have found the above discussions of interest as I have been struggling to find information relating to where in France they served. I am lucky enough to have copies of 25 documents relating to his service but they are difficult to read and have scant information relating to his location during active service. It appears he was in France from Nov 1914. I know he was shot & wounded on the 27 July 1916 and spent several months in Oakbank Hospital in Glasgow. There is little information relating to the period between Oct 1916 after leaving hospital to 5 April 1917 when he was posted to 2/4 Battalion Seaforth Highlanders (I note comments above about them not going abroad).

To help my research, today I purchased a book from the UK on the history of the 4 Battlion Seaforth Highlanders, as I live in New Zealand it may take a while to get here but I am really looking forward to reading it.

I also note than my Grandfather was charged for being absent off leave for one day while on active service (deprived 7 days pay for this) and the charge is witnessed and signed by a Captain Tennant - I assume this is the same man mentioned above.

Thank you for your information, It is much appreciated

Cheers
Wayne

#15 anthony ozzy

anthony ozzy

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 433 posts
    Northampton Saints Rugby

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Wayne,
Charles Tennant was killed in action 9/10th May during the attack on Aubers Ridge.
his body was never found and he is commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial to the Missing.
Lyn MacDonald's book 1915 Death on Innocence is worth a read too.

http://bedfordhighla...01_archive.html

Try the above web site also - there is some good stuff on there too.

All the best,

Ant

#16 seaforths

seaforths

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,278 posts
  • Interests:Researching my granddad, his 5 cousins & 2 brothers-in-law who all served (mostly Seaforth Highlanders others Artillery & ASC)

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Would it be possible for someone to copy the 4th Seaforth diary please.
Particularily interested in the dates Aug 1914 - Apr 1915 and Aug 1916 - June 1917.
Quite happy to pay for the time involved in doing this.

Also would the 2/4th Seaforths have had a diary of any kind for the period Nov 1914 - Aug 1916?

Hope someone can help out.
cheers
Ewen

They were with different divisions during these periods. Was there something specific you were looking for such as a person/incident? Or is it just a general interest in those particular dates?

#17 Turns88

Turns88

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

Thank you Ant, I appreciate the information and the website link. There are some great photos on the website of the Highlander troops staying in Bedford. As with Ewen's request above I would be keen to see the war dairy of the 1/4 Seaforth Highlanders from Nov 1914 - Aug 1916.

Thank you
Wayne

#18 seaforths

seaforths

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,278 posts
  • Interests:Researching my granddad, his 5 cousins & 2 brothers-in-law who all served (mostly Seaforth Highlanders others Artillery & ASC)

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Wayne,
Charles Tennant was killed in action 9/10th May during the attack on Aubers Ridge.
his body was never found and he is commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial to the Missing.
Lyn MacDonald's book 1915 Death on Innocence is worth a read too.

http://bedfordhighla...01_archive.html

Try the above web site also - there is some good stuff on there too.

All the best,

Ant

I have just finished (this evening) reading a recently released book called 'The Secret Rooms' and surprised that Charles Tennant features in parts regarding Neuve Chapelle, Aubers Ridge and Festubert (where it has him as being killed). I thought initially that the entries came from a private diary but on re-reading those parts it would seem that they came from letters he wrote from the Front. If you are in touch with his relatives then his letters must have survived and are held by a relative or museum to be used in a book that has just been released.

#19 SPOF

SPOF

Brigadier-General

• Admin
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Hi Seaforths

Do you have some more information about that book? It sounds interesting.

Glen

#20 seaforths

seaforths

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Hi Seaforths

Do you have some more information about that book? It sounds interesting.

Glen

It certainly is interesting its by Catherine Bailey...I posted some information here: http://1914-1918.inv...ic=9458&st=1400

It also looks as though Forum Pal 'Librarian' has read it too and posted on the previous page to my post and that was positive too

Cheers
Marjorie

#21 SPOF

SPOF

Brigadier-General

• Admin
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Thanks MArjorie.

Another one to add to my "to read" list.

Glen

#22 Griffner

Griffner

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

Has anyone managed to get the 4th Seaforth's war diary in the end ? Many thanks! Am still looking and it appears that although all WD have been digitized by the NA they still aren't all available online.

#23 sfarrell

sfarrell

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

I have managed to get hold of a copy of copy of war diary, badly typed but readable.

What date where you interested in?

Stuart