17 replies to this topic

#1 pottertea

pottertea

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

Posted Today, 06:24 PM
I wonder could some kind person help, I just got a file online basically it is a list for Prisoner of war in WWI for a Michael Keane all it tells me on the record is exactly the same as the info below, What else could I do to find out more about his time in the POW camp.

Also I have looked on ancestry for his WWI record but cannot find it can anyone please help.

Image details

Add to shopping basket
Description
Name(s): Keane, M
Page no: 3221
Corps: 1/8th Irish King's Liverpool Rifles - Report Not Printed.
Regiment No: 2045
Date 01 January 1914 - 31 December 1918
Catalogue reference WO 161/100/462links to the Catalogue
Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Series War Office: Miscellaneous Unregistered Papers, First World War
Piece Other ranks reports: pages 2403-4177 containing report numbers 1126-3037. (Described at item level)
Image contains 1 item for the catalogue reference

Number of image files: 1
Image Reference

Format and Version

Part Number

Size (KB)

Number of Pages

Price (£)
1448 / 1 PDF 1.2 1 209 2 3.36
Total Price (£) 3.36
Refine search
Add to shopping basket

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His name is
Michael Keane b.16 Sep 1897 Liverpool

Any help would be of great use,

Kind Regards,
PoTTerTea

#2 Sandie

Sandie

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

He was awarded the 1914/15 Star for service in France from 02.05.15.
He was also awarded the Silver War Badge but I can't find a record of it on Ancestry.

Michael had 2 service numbers 2054 and 305373
I can't say for certain but I think he enlisted in August 1914. Number 1986 was issued on 10th August, Michael was 67 men behind him. Number 2862 was issued on 8th October.
His 6 digit number was issued to him on 1st of March 1917. Numbers 305001 - 330000 were issued to 8th Battalion, King's Liverpool Regiment. This means he joined up as a territorial. Reading this will explain it all: http://www.1914-1918...ng_infantry.htm

I can't help with any info on his time as a POW but The King's Liverpool Regiment Archive hold records on him. You can search their data base using his 6 digit service number.
Have a look here: http://www.liverpool...iers/index.aspx

#3 pottertea

pottertea

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

Michael had 2 service numbers 2054 and 305373.
He was awarded the 1914/15 Star for service in France from 02.05.15.
He was also awarded the Silver War Badge but I can't find a record of it on Ancestry.
I can't say for certain but I think he enlisted in August 1914. Number 1986 was issued on 10th August, Michael was 67 men behind him. Number 2862 was issued on 8th October.
The King's Liverpool Regiment hold records on him. You can search their data base using his 6 digit service number.
Have a look here: http://www.liverpool...iers/index.aspx

Thanks Sadie for all your help I will check that site out, Ihave just managed to get the Medal card and Silver war badge card too.

Kind Regards,
Tom.

#4 pottertea

pottertea

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

Thanks Sadie for all your help I will check that site out, Ihave just managed to get the Medal card and Silver war badge card too.

Kind Regards,
Tom.

It says they no longer have the Service files

#5 Sandie

Sandie

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

I've put his name in the data base: http://www.liverpool...k/mol/kingsreg/ and it comes up with 1 record but doesn't say what the record is.

#6 pottertea

pottertea

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

I've put his name in the data base: http://www.liverpool...k/mol/kingsreg/ and it comes up with 1 record but doesn't say what the record is.

Yes I did that too but I cant find out where or how I get that file it they no longer have them

#7 IPT

IPT

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,944 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

SWB roll shows he enlisted 14/9/1914 and was discharged due to wounds 12/6/1918, aged 20

Ancestry - http://search.ancest...src=&pid=360970

#8 pottertea

pottertea

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

SWB roll shows he enlisted 14/9/1914 and was discharged due to wounds 12/6/1918, aged 20

Thanks for your help and yes I did see that, The family say he got Shrpnel in his shoulder, also he was a prisoner of war but I have no idea how I can get those records.

Best Regards,
Tom

#9 Sandie

Sandie

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

Where's Daggers when you need him?

#10 daggers

daggers

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

Here but nothing to offer, sorry.
D

#11 Stephen Nulty

Stephen Nulty

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,299 posts
  • Interests:The History of Prescot

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

The “Scope” section of the catalogue entry for WO161/100 states “The reports given by the following men are not printed in these records”. There then follows a list of names, included Michael Keanes. This is what is meant by the index entry which states “Report Not Printed “ as in your opening post. So you have paid for the list of names of men whose reports were not printed, which isn’t very helpful. Good old NA, eh?

The following men of the Battalion do have a report. They may or may not have been POW at the same time/place as Michael – who knows? If you were feeling flush, you could acquire their POW reports. They don’t mention Michael Keane but may give you an idea of what life was like.
  • Henry Francis Davis
  • John Burston
  • Walter Duncan

I have quite a few of these POW reports, though obviously not Michael’s. If you (or anybody else) ping me an email via my website using the link in the footer below, I’ll send you some of them so you can see what they look like.

#12 pottertea

pottertea

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

The “Scope” section of the catalogue entry for WO161/100 states “The reports given by the following men are not printed in these records”. There then follows a list of names, included Michael Keanes. This is what is meant by the index entry which states “Report Not Printed “ as in your opening post. So you have paid for the list of names of men whose reports were not printed, which isn’t very helpful. Good old NA, eh?

The following men of the Battalion do have a report. They may or may not have been POW at the same time/place as Michael – who knows? If you were feeling flush, you could acquire their POW reports. They don’t mention Michael Keane but may give you an idea of what life was like.

• Henry Francis Davis
  • John Burston
  • Walter Duncan
I have quite a few of these POW reports, though obviously not Michael’s. If you (or anybody else) ping me an email via my website using the link in the footer below, I’ll send you some of them so you can see what they look like.

Thanks Stephen I have no idea how to ping you though I sent a message but it said you where not recieving any more

Kind Regards,
Tom.

Thanks IPT

#13 Stephen Nulty

Stephen Nulty

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,299 posts
  • Interests:The History of Prescot

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

Tom

Send me an email to mail@prescot-rollofhonour.info

#14 kathy

kathy

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Telling their stories

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

Private Micahel Keanes name appears twice in my local casualty list which I am compiling from local Liverpool Newspapers here is what I have:-
18th September 1916 King's Liverpool Regiment Private Michael 2045 Keane Liverpool Missing 7, Steel Street, Liverpool
17th November 1916 King's Liverpool Regiment Private Michael 2045 Keane Liverpool Previously reported missing now reported Wounded and Prisoners of War

These lists were published approx 4 to 5 weeks after the incident occured. So my estimate would be that he was taken Prisoner on or about 8th August 1916. He will most probably have been taken to Dulmen, Westphalia, Germany. I have a little article for this soldier which gives his address as 6, Steel Street, Liverpool. I'll have to dig it out. Hope this helps.

#15 pottertea

pottertea

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

Hello Kathy,

Thanks for that info I would love to see that article if you could find it.

Kind Regards,
Tom.

#16 daggers

daggers

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

As my name was called earlier in the thread I have been watching and think it should be noted that 8th KLR was not a 'Rifles' battalion. 6th, yes, 5th in some views possibly.
D

#17 Sandie

Sandie

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

I never spotted 'Rifles' in the title!

The King's Liverpool Regiment, 1/8th (Irish) Battalion, not to be confused with The 8th King's Regiment.
The 8th King's Regiment became known as The King's (Liverpool Regiment) in 1881 and began to recruit from the city. In 1921 the title was altered to The King's Regiment (Liverpool).

2/8th Battalion was also an Irish battalion - The King's Liverpool Regiment, 2/8th (Irish) Battalion.

Sandie

#18 pottertea

pottertea

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

I never spotted 'Rifles' in the title!

The King's Liverpool Regiment, 1/8th (Irish) Battalion, not to be confused with The 8th King's Regiment.
The 8th King's Regiment became known as The King's (Liverpool Regiment) in 1881 and began to recruit from the city. In 1921 the title was altered to The King's Regiment (Liverpool).

2/8th Battalion was also an Irish battalion - The King's Liverpool Regiment, 2/8th (Irish) Battalion.

Sandie

Thanks Sandie