Posted 06 November 2002 - 03:20 pm
This is a fascinating subject to research, the numbers of hospitals etc. is phenomenal - it deserves a book written on the subject. Further to my Sussex list, the following is the hospitals in and around the Bournemouth area and taken from “Bournemouth and the First World War” by M A Edgington, Bournemouth Local Studies Publications,1985.
Apart from the established hospitals, and the Mont Dore which was a military hospital under the War Office supervision, the local auxiliary hospitals, set up for the large number of wounded sent to the town, were mostly large houses which had rooms suitable for conversion into wards. Some also had large grounds in which marquees or huts were erected.
All the hospitals were staffed by trained nurses, some of whom were members of either the Red Cross or the St. John Ambulance Brigade, and many VAD’s.
Boscombe Military Hospital, Shelly Road.
Surgeon-in-Charge: W. F. Stevenson, C.B., K.H.S, A.M.S. Shortly after the commencement of the war the Hospital Authority proposed to the War Office that they should provide 200 beds for the sick and wounded who might be sent to Bournemouth. This was approved and marquees were erected in the grounds of the Royal Victoria and West Hants Hospital, Shelly Road.
Crag Head Red Cross Hospital, Manor Road.
Opened in by the Red Cross in Oct 1914 as a convalescent home for wounded soldiers from the Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley. The hospital originally provided 100 beds and was divided into 14 wards arranged on 3 floors. The hospital was under the supervision of Surgeon-General Stevenson of Boscombe Military Hospital. The hospital was closed at the end of 1918. Crag Head was demolished in 1972 and a block of luxury flats erected on the site in 1973.
Grata Quies Auxiliary Hospital, 29 Western Avenue, Branksome Park, Poole. First opened on 21st Nov 1914 with 40 beds and by May 1915 had another 30. The hospital closed on 18th Mar 1919.
Heron Court Auxiliary Hospital, Hurn, Christchurch.
First opened on 4th Nov 1914 originally there were two wards one with 12 beds and the other 8. This was later extended by erection of a hut giving an extra 10 beds. The hospital was intended for NCO & men on convalescent who didn’t need a great deal of nursing. The hospital closed in Dec 1918 and is now (1985) Hurn Court School.
Mont Dore Military Hospital, Bourne Avenue, Bournemouth.
The Mont Dore Hotel was taken over by the War Office for conversion into a hospital 20th Nov 1914, for the Indian Wounded. After the withdrawal of the Indian Army Corps from France in Nov 1915, Mont Dore became a British Military Hospital. In 1918 the hospital was changed yet again into a convalescent home for Officers and in Nov 1918 many of the patients were Officers repatriated from POW camps. It closed in 1919 but didn’t revert to a hotel as it was purchased by the Bournemouth Corporation for use as the Town Hall.
St John Ambulance Brigade Hospital, 2 Bodorgan Road.
The hospital was opened in Nov 1915 as an auxiliary hospital with 25 beds, increased later to 27. Then in 1917 two marquees each with 15 beds were provided by the War Office. Originally it took only local cases from the troops billeted in the town and the camps in the area, but later received patients from the front. From 28th Apr 1916 it became an Annexe to the Boscombe Military Hospital. From Nov 1915 to 28th Feb 1919 when it close 1,414 patients were admitted, of whom only 5 died.
Stourwood Auxiliary Hospital, 3 Bracken Road, Southbourne.
An auxiliary hospital for the Boscombe Military Hospital, Shelly Road, under the supervision of Surgeon-General Stevenson. This was a newly built house just before the war its first tenants were wounded soldiers the first batch were wounded Belgians straight from the front on 1st Dec 1914 the initial number of beds provided was 10 which was eventually increased in May 1915 to 30. Later two large marquees each containing 16 beds were provided. The total number of patients treated is unknown. The figure for Nov 1918 was 1317 it finally closed down after Christmas 1918.
Other Local Military and Auxiliary Hospitals.
Balmer Lawn Hotel Brockenhurst - 100 beds. Originally for Indian troops.
Barton-on-Sea Convalescent Camp – originally used for Indian troops, it was later an English Military hospital. About 35,000 men passed through Barton in the 3 years it was open. It closed in Mar 1919.
Branksome Gate Hospital – for Wounded Officers, Western Avenue, Branksome Park. Opened Jun 1916.
Brownsea Island – “Mrs Van Raalte, owner of Brownsea Island, does valuable work in taking severe cases of officers suffering from shell-shock and nervous break-downs and doing wonders in the way of restoring them to health” - Bournemouth Daily Echo.
Christchurch Red Cross Hospital – started in Oct 1914 with 50 beds which increased until in mid 1918, when it could accommodate 300 patients. By the time it closed in Jan 1919 it had treated 5,000 patients. The buildings that were used are now (1985) part of the Christchurch Hospital.
Cornelia Hospital – two new wards were built for the wounded, having 60 beds.
Forest Park Hotel, Brockenhurst – 100 beds. Set up for Indian troops.
Sandacres, Shore Road, Parkstone – Sir Ernest Cassel’s Convalescent Home for Soldiers.
Sandhills, Mudeford – a Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital of 20 beds.
Springfield, Castle Hill, Parkstone – a Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital for convalescent troops.
Somerley Manor, Ringwood – convalescent home for Officers.
South Lytchett Manor – a Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital of 40 beds.
Thorney Hill Auxiliary Hospital, Bransgore – attached to the New Zealand Hospital, Brockenhurst.
Westworth Lodge, Southbourne – convalescent home for Officers.
Nursing Homes for the Belgium Wounded.
Aston Grays, Knole Road.
Miss Barger’s, Dorset House, Kimberley Road.
Miss Brighams’s Westways, Forrest Road, Branksome Park.
Herbert Convalescent Home, Alumhurst Road – used entirely of Belgiums from Oct 1914 to Jun 1915. It had 60 Beds.
Home of Good Hope, Portchester Road.
Miss Judkin’s, Fernside, St. Stephen’s Road.
Miss Rowley’s, St. Catherine’s, 25.27 Middle Road.
Dr Scorer’s, 19 Christchurch Road.
Stagsden, 14 West Cliff Road.
Mrs Wilison’s, Mont Serrat, 24 Lorne Park Road.
Royal Victoria Hospital, Lowther Road. Sometimes known as Miss Churcher’s, who was the Sister in Charge. The building is now (1985) the Teacher’s Centre.