#26 towisuk

towisuk

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:From Flanders to the Somme.
    Soldiers personal experiences in the front line

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

Here's something else that may be of interest, from a book written in 1919......

Poziers cemetery.JPG

regards
Tom

#27 towisuk

towisuk

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

Some pages from a book that has some text about the Australians at Mouquet farm, it was published in 1917...

http://archive.org/s...e/n265/mode/2up

and at Poziers windmill.......

http://archive.org/s...ge/175/mode/2up

Tom

#28 old-ted

old-ted

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for that Tom. On the display panels at the Windmill site there is a photo of an early memorial to the 2nd Australian Div. On it can be seen an upturned tank.
John

#29 towisuk

towisuk

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

Hi John, many thanks for that mate. Some years ago on my way down for my usual family holiday week in Paris I stopped at the windmill site, in the adjoining field very close to the memorial I saw a hole in the newly ploughed field next to the memorial boundary. On going forward for a closer look I saw what appeared to be part of a tracked vehicle and because I worked where we used many different tracked machines, I immediately thought that it was a track roller from one of the tanks that fought in that area.
I took a short video from all angles and showed it to a workmate when I returned home, he confirmed my suspicions without any prompting.
I have since described what I found to an expert in WW1 tanks, he also agreed my original conclusions. I now regret that I didn't "rescue" the tank part due to lack of room in the car, it would have meant jettisoning either the wife or daughter at the windmill site...not an option I hasten to add!!!!
regards
Tom

#30 frev

frev

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

In July I was privileged to be invited to spend a couple of days with The Families and Friends of the First AIF Inc (FFFAIF Inc) tour.
Our guide had special permission for us to walk right up to Mouquet Farm and take photos of the hallowed ground.

To add to Peter's photos (post #22) - this photo is of the area within the circle of trees to the left of the track (photo post #5) & site of the original farm:
Copy of IMG_1319 - Mouquet Farm Original Site.JPG

Cheers, Frev
PS - it was a privilege to have you with us Peter!

#31 Peter Bennett

Peter Bennett

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

To add to Peter's photos (post #22) - this photo is of the area within the circle of trees to the left of the track (photo post #5) & site of the original farm:
Copy of IMG_1319 - Mouquet Farm Original Site.JPG

Cheers, Frev
PS - it was a privilege to have you with us Peter!

Frev

Thank you for your kind words. The privilege was all mine, what wonderful people.

I can't look at the Pozieres ceremony photos without shedding a small tear (as I am doing right now !)

Lest We Forget

Peter

#32 egbert

egbert

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Plenty of THEN pictures from Mouquet ferme are in the Lt Gen Wundt thread. Just follow the link in the first post and click on the album pictures for Wundt's album

#33 towisuk

towisuk

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Many thanks for the link to those photo's from the Lt Gen Wundt thread egbert...........I never spotted them when you first posted the topic. It is great to see what Mouquet farm and the surrounding villages looked like during the German occupation of the area..
regards
Tom