1st Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment

Sept/Oct 1914

9 replies to this topic

#1 maricourt

maricourt

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Letters & Memoirs of World War One. The Penmaenmawr Quarry Boys & 5/6/7RWF at Suvla Bay. The Gallipoli Campaign

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

The following entry appears in a diary I am currently annotating:

Saturday, October 3rd, 1914 -" Relieved at 7.30 pm by West Yorks under a Gunner Sub[altern]. They have been cut up"

Does any Forum Pal have access to the Battalion Diary of 1st Battalion West Yorks Regiment [Prince of Wales' Own] to find out what happened to them prior to relieving 2/RWF at Septmonts and who was the "Gunner Sub"?

Any help appreciated. Many Thanks.

Maricourt

#2 Chris Noble

Chris Noble

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Hello Maricourt.
On the 1st October the 1st West Yorks had been relieved by 2 Companies of the Sherwood Foresters and proceeded into billets located at Moulins.
At 8 p.m. same day, proceeded in Brigade to Vauverlin which was reached at midnight. (I Presume this is Vauberlin, east of Braine, south of the river).
2nd October: Proceeded, in Brigade to Jury, arrived, 1 a.m. on the morning of the 3rd. On this march, one Lieutenant and 92 O/R's joined the battalion.
Thats about it buddy until the 6th when they marched to St. Remy.
Best wishes.
Chris.

#3 BRONNO

BRONNO

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 616 posts
  • Interests:All Campaigns and Battalions of The Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regt) 45th/95th Foot

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

From the 2nd Battalion War Diary Sherwood Foresters

MOULINS 1st of October 1914 'C' and 'D' Companys relieved the West Yorks Regiment in the trenches at the head of the Moulins valley in the forenoon. At 4.30 p.m. received orders to march - A and B Coys with transport started at 8.30 p.m. and marched via Bourg, Duizel and Vauxtin to the farm Creve-Coeur near Vauberlin arriving at 12.45am. October 2nd, 'C' and 'D' Companys were relieved in the trenches by the Gloucester Regiment and then followed the remainder reaching Creve-Coeur at 2am.

CREVE-COEUR to JURY. 2nd October, marched at 7.15 p.m. via Cour-Celles-Braine-Couvrelles and Serche to Jury, reaching our billets there at 12.30 a.m. (3rd Oct). Joined up with remainder of 18th Brigade passing Courcelles. At Braine were joined by our 2nd Reinforcement.

JURY. 3rd October, Billeted in reserve at Jury.

BRONNO.

#4 old owl

old owl

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

Hi,

Although I cannot answer your question regarding the Gunner Sub, I think that the action in which the 1st Bn received their 'cutting up' was that of the 20th September at Bourg, which resulted in the battalion losing 7 officers killed, two wounded and eight missing and in other ranks, 71 killed, 110 wounded and 436 missing.

It seems that the majority if not all the missing were taken prisoner when the Germans advanced under a white flag. Thinking that they were surrendering the West Yorks moved forward to meet them and were quickly surrounded and heavily fired upon,--"Many were killed, a few escaped and 8 officers and 436 other ranks were captured."

It does note that Major Lang took command of the battalion on the 21st September,---"Which was reformed into Headquarters, C Company and one platoon."

Hope this helps.

Robert

#5 NedRutland

NedRutland

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Units of my relatives including North Staffs, Norfolk Yeomanry, 12th Lancers

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

The regimental history is available on-line
http://lib.militarya...-1918-Volume-I/
(pages 9-12 refer to the Bourg action))

#6 maricourt

maricourt

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Letters & Memoirs of World War One. The Penmaenmawr Quarry Boys & 5/6/7RWF at Suvla Bay. The Gallipoli Campaign

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Chris, Bronno, Robert & Ned - Many thanks for the information on the 1st West Yorks - I think you have all provided me with the explanation about the battalion being "cut up" and I can now annotate the diary appropriately. I suspect we will never know who the Gunner Sub was!

Many thanks - Maricourt

#7 maricourt

maricourt

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hello Ned - I have just followed your link to the regimental history - many thanks for directing me to this - are there other histories available and how do I find the home page??

Thanks - Maricourt

#8 NedRutland

NedRutland

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Units of my relatives including North Staffs, Norfolk Yeomanry, 12th Lancers

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

I found the site by serendipity while googling some details of the W. Yorks a few days ago. Looking at the homepage now, I see it is a site for paid subscribers with a sample for free; http://lib.militarya.../tma-sample.asp

The free tasters shown are:
The 53rd (Welsh) Division (TF) 1914-1918
The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry in the Great War, First Year (Aug 1914-July 1915)

But if by an internet search I could bypass a paywall, maybe others can also ...?

#9 maricourt

maricourt

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Ned - Thanks very much - that serendipity is following you around as I also need to refer to the 53rd [Welsh] Division history, too!

Many thanks ... Maricourt

#10 Chris Noble

Chris Noble

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Just to add Maricourt
Battalion strength on entering the Theatre of War was 25 Officers, 991 Other Ranks.
After the engagement or the 'White Flag Incident' on the 20th September near Troyon, the Battalion suffered, and I will quote the War Diary, 8 Officers killed, 2 Officers wounded, 7 Officers 'Missing' and 71 Other Ranks killed, 110 wounded, 436 'Missing.'
'Cut up' is beyond words.
Chris.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sept/Oct 1914