Photo

HMS Stock Force

13 replies to this topic

#1 Gareth Davies

Gareth Davies

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:Tanks/The Tank Corps, Palestine, Salonika, Mesopotamia, The Wiltshire Regiment, maps, Old Edwardians (KES Bath), The Wiltshire Yeomanry, The North Somerset Yeomanry.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

They have found her apparently:

http://www.telegraph...-submarine.html

#2 Philip Wilson

Philip Wilson

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 855 posts
  • Interests:Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum Trustee and Archivist

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Well, if this is indeed the wreck of the Stock Force then it's good news.

Harold AUTEN's Victoria Cross for the Stock Force was gazetted on the 14 September 1918 and presented four days later in the Quadrangle of Buckingham Palace; when the Band played "Hush,hush, hush! Here comes the Bogey Man" greatly to the amusement of the King and the spectators. AUTEN's book 'Q' Boat Adventures is well worth reading.

Philip

#3 better ole

better ole

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Family, Beer, Curry, Travel, music, crime/comedy/history books - not in any order.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

http://blog.forces-w...shed-submarine/

Found this on Facebook link.

#4 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Just catching up on this discovery...very interesting!

Thanks for posting the information.

-Daniel

#5 Malcolm

Malcolm

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

The Stock Force was not sunk in action. She sank whilst under tow off Bolt Head after she was damaged in action with U98 in the channel.
Aye
Malcolm

#6 centurion

centurion

General

• Old Sweats
  • 23,594 posts
  • Interests:Military history, science fiction

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Found this on Facebook link.

Just get a 404 error on the link - has it been taken down?

#7 Michael Lowrey

Michael Lowrey

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

The Stock Force was not sunk in action. She sank whilst under tow off Bolt Head after she was damaged in action with U98 in the channel.
Aye
Malcolm

Stock Force most certainly was not in action with U 98. Rather it was UB 80 that the Q-ship was involved with.

#8 Gareth Davies

Gareth Davies

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:Tanks/The Tank Corps, Palestine, Salonika, Mesopotamia, The Wiltshire Regiment, maps, Old Edwardians (KES Bath), The Wiltshire Yeomanry, The North Somerset Yeomanry.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Centurion, the Telegraph link still works: http://www.telegraph...-submarine.html

#9 Philip Wilson

Philip Wilson

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 855 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Stock Force most certainly was not in action with U 98. Rather it was UB 80 that the Q-ship was involved with.

Yes the U-boat involved in this encounter was far more likely to have UB-80 which was operating out of Zeebrugge as suggested by Steve SNELLING in his book Naval VCs published in 2002 in the VC's of the First World War series. It was Leading Seaman Thomas CUNNINGHAM, DSM, who was the gunlayer on the forward 4-inch gun, who later insisted on having seen the identification characters UB-98 on her hull. Post war research revealed that no enemy submarines had been sunk that day.

Since the book was published Steve has done further research into this action and in the March 2012 edition of the Journal of the Victoria Cross Society there is a four page article on AUTEN by Steve SNELLING which includes the fate of the disputed U-boat: 'UB-80 of the 1st Flanders Flottila survived its close quarter battering to return to base, from where her commander Kapitanleutnant Max VIEBERG told a rather different story' of the action with the STOCK FORCE. What was not in any doubt was the level of bravery by all on the STOCK FORCE. UB-80 was one of the most successful U-Boats of WW1 accounting for 20 allied ships during the period 26 Nov. 1917 to 9 Sept.1918.

Philip

#10 Michael Lowrey

Michael Lowrey

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

Philip,

I'm not sure why anyone is still using phrases like "far more likely" for this incident. The identity of the U-boat involved simply is not in question. The German official history of U-boat actions for 1918 by Admiral Arno Spindler was published in 1969. It gives UB 80 as the U-boat involved — and Spindler had full access to all U-boat war diaries. Those original U-boat war diaries survive and can be found at BAMA Freiburg. You can buy copies on microfilm of UB 80's war diary (or most any other U-boat war diary) from the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration. And yes, I own a copy of that microfilm roll, and it is a clear match to UB 80.

Best wishes,
Michael
uboat.net

#11 Philip Wilson

Philip Wilson

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 855 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Michael - thanks for drawing my attention to the German official history of U-Boat actions and the location of the original U-Boat diaries. I agree the identity of the U-Boat involved that day is UB-80.
There is a good account of the action with the STOCK FORCE in Sea Killers in Disguise by Tony BRIDGLAND published in 1998 with an excellent bibliography on Q-Ships and Decoy Raiders for those wishing to learn more.

Philip

#12 Numbnuts

Numbnuts

Private

• Members2
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

I'm Steve Mortimer, the chap who's mentioned in the Telegraph article. So it's clear - I dive with a group of lads who try to find/identify shipwrecks in the SW approaches.

Our efforts on the Stock Force represent ten years of work. It's been a privilege and a thrill.

In our mind, there is no doubt that our wreck is that brave little ship. A year ago, we wrote an article in a diving magazine about our findings:

https://www.dropbox....rcescan0001.pdf

The Shipwreck Conference asked us to speak about the Stock Force. The Sunday Telegraph picked up on it, which led to yesterday's article. I was interviewed on Radio Five Live earlier today.

All of this media interest is great, in our book. We're dead chuffed that this marvellous little ship and its crew are getting some recognition. At Saturday's Conference we'll present what, in the absence of a ship's bell or maker's plate, we think is compelling evidence that this wreck is the Stock Force. I do hope some of you can attend.

If you have any other diving questions or challenges that you'd like a highly experienced diving team in SW England to investigate appropriately and sympathetically, we'd be happy to do so. Please PM through the South West Mafia diving forum (my user name is numbnuts).

Michael - I recall you once mentioned that you'd seen UB-80's log (or an acronym thereof) that confirmed that it was UB-80 that was involved that day. If you'd like me to present it on Saturday, I'd be really happy to.

Thanks, all.

Steve

#13 Malcolm

Malcolm

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

I was quoting Dittmar and College British Warships 1914 - 1919.
Aye
Malcolm

#14 better ole

better ole

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Family, Beer, Curry, Travel, music, crime/comedy/history books - not in any order.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Still working for me Centurian.

http://blog.forces-war-records.co.uk

also works.