7 replies to this topic

#1 JOVE23

JOVE23

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

Hello,

I am still working on the story of my great grand uncle Max Polak, KIA in the Bois du Chene Sec on 5 Oct. 1918 by a machine gun bullet. The company history describes the engagement that Max was killed in as very intense, and names an officer and an NCO who were captured by the Germans. I have just found out that the Sergeant (Jacob Borski) was awarded a Croix de Guerre. I would love to find the citation for Sgt. Borski's medal to see if it was awarded for this action and if it can provide any more information on the engagement that killed Max.

Best wishes,
Justin

#2 old owl

old owl

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

Hello,

I am still working on the story of my great grand uncle Max Polak, KIA in the Bois du Chene Sec on 5 Oct. 1918 by a machine gun bullet. The company history describes the engagement that Max was killed in as very intense, and names an officer and an NCO who were captured by the Germans. I have just found out that the Sergeant (Jacob Borski) was awarded a Croix de Guerre. I would love to find the citation for Sgt. Borski's medal to see if it was awarded for this action and if it can provide any more information on the engagement that killed Max.

Best wishes,
Justin

Hi Justin,

From my experience it appears that very few Croix de Guerres had recorded citations, or if they did they must be buried somewhere in a French Military Archive. I have only come across 3 and these all the relate to the 4th Northumberland Fusiliers for the action on the Aisne on 27th May, 1918.

One is a Croix de Guerre with Palm awarded to Lt.Col.B.D.Gibson who was killed that day and the other two are Croix de Guerre with Gold Star to L/Cpl O'Brien and Pte Daniels of the same battalion. All three citations refer to the 27th May as being the date for which they were awarded, and all are given for gallantry on that day. I believe that the two o/rs survived--probably made POW's--many of the battalion were on that day following a desperate defence of their positions.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with further information and advice.

Robert

PS If you could find out where Sgt Borski lived during WW1 then it may be worth looking at the local newspaper, as this my possibly contain the information you seek.

#3 bill24chev

bill24chev

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:MILITARY HISTORY,
    RAILWAYS, MALT WHISKY, REAL ALE AND WORLD BEERS, RUM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

Citations for the Croix de Gurre are rare. Usually the London Gazzette lists a number of awards together with Rank Name number Regt/corps and place of allegienc(home town) of recipient.

You could try unit war diaries for a possible reference for the award.

bill

Edit added Or local Papers archive.

#4 JOVE23

JOVE23

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

I was able to look at a local newspaper and Sgt. Borski won the CG with palm for actions at Juvigny, not where Max was killed.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by JOVE23, 08 February 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#5 boysoldier

boysoldier

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

There are several on the site, one is my uncle , original citation in a poor state but kindly translated by Siege Gunner.

Colin.

#6 rflory

rflory

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,808 posts
  • Interests:Twentieth Century Royal Artillery officers, especially for the Great War

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

The citation accompanying the Croix de Guerre awarded to Captain (later Sir) I. R. Cox, RGA

Attached Files

• Attached File  Cox.jpg   174.28KB   8 downloads

#7 ForeignGong

ForeignGong

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 675 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

Hi all Can I ask where you obtained the copy citation please??

#8 rflory

rflory

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,808 posts
  • Interests:Twentieth Century Royal Artillery officers, especially for the Great War

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

If you are referring to the above citation for Cox, it was purchased along with his Croix de Guerre, the letter from the War Department forwarding his decoration and the registered envelope in which it came.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: American Expeditionary Force, Sgt. Jacob Borski, Bois du Chene Sec