Photo

20th Royal Fusiliers War Diary

14 replies to this topic

#1 rogerwilson

rogerwilson

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Cricket, Military history, genealogy, travel, espionage / counter intell, reading, reiki

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

I would be very grateful for any help and guidance.

I am researching a relative - Lance Serjeant Willam John Harwood who fell on 27th April 1917 at Arras whilst serving with the 20th Battalion of Royal Fusiliers (although his medal card states 11th Battalion). 

We are planning a visit to Arras and would like to visit as near as we can to where he fell.

Can anyone give any guidance around War diaries please? does anyone have a copy they could share or point me in the right direction? 

I have tried the Fusiliers Museum and TNA but drawn blanks (although this could through ignorance and naiveté on my part)

Thus far, using ancestry we have secured medal cards and census data as part of our pulling the pieces together. 

Thank you in anticipation of any help that can be provided.

Roger

#2 Graeme Clarke

Graeme Clarke

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

Roger

The War Diary of the 20th is available to download

http://discovery.nat...scription=False

The 11th is here just in case

http://discovery.nat...scription=False

BTW, both SDGW and CWGC give a date of death of 24 April 1917 in the 20th battalion.

Regards,

Graeme

#3 rogerwilson

rogerwilson

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Cricket, Military history, genealogy, travel, espionage / counter intell, reading, reiki

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

Hi Graeme, thank you so much for your help. I am very grateful.

Yes - a little misleading as we understood from the CWGC that he was with the 20th but his medal papers suggest 11th - even to the point of detailing his date of death on a postcard stating the 11th RF.

Regards

Roger

#4 Graeme Clarke

Graeme Clarke

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:05 PM

Roger

Note the date of death

Regards,

Graeme

#5 rogerwilson

rogerwilson

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

Hi Graeme

Ive downloaded both war diaries and am a little confused as the war diary for the 20th Bat. seems to refer to the 2nd Bat of the Royal Welch….who interestingly, were relieved by the 20th on the 24th April, the date on which William was reported to be killed in action. Am I missing something obvious? Absolutely fascinated….

R

#6 Graeme Clarke

Graeme Clarke

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

Roger,

You should have 3 PDFs as below

33 DIVISION, 19 INFANTRY BRIGADE:

2 Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers 1915 Dec. - 1917 Dec.

18 Battalion Royal Fusiliers 1915 Nov. - 1916 Feb.

20 Battalion Royal Fusiliers 1915 Nov. - 1918 Feb.

Brigade Trench Mortar Battery 1916 July - Aug.

Brigade Machine Gun Company 1916 Feb. - 1918 Jan.

You will have to check each to find the 20th Battalion

Regards,

Graeme

#7 rogerwilson

rogerwilson

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

Hi Graeme…I've worked it out - the PDF's relate to various battalions and I've located the dates for the 11th and 20th. Sadly no mention or comment and in both cases it looks as though the bat. were in R&R but I'll investigate in more detail later. I'm still a little confused though as his medal records suggest he was with the 11th and the WGC suggest he was with the 20th.

R

#8 andy pugh

andy pugh

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 920 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

Hi Rodger.

Try the Royal Fusilier Museum at the Tower of London again and ask to speak to Major (retired) Bowes Crick, he is very helpful.
Regards Andy.

#9 johnboy

johnboy

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,827 posts
  • Interests:horse racing history[social & economic] travel

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

On the 26th April 11RF were E. of Bois De Blaugy.
On the 27th they went into billetts by bus in Belloy St Leonards.
There were no reported casualties.
He could have been transferred from 11th but kept his original number as he stayed in the same battalion

#10 SteveE

SteveE

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,182 posts
  • Interests:25th Bn. Royal Fusiliers (Frontiersmen) & The East African Campaign.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

we understood from the CWGC that he was with the 20th but his medal papers suggest 11th - even to the point of detailing his date of death on a postcard stating the 11th RF.

Roger

Although the Medal Index Card says 11th Royal Fusiliers it won't show details of any subsequent postings to other RF battalions. You need to get a copy of the actual Royal Fusiliers British War & Victory Medal Roll (not accessible online) referenced on his card as TP/104 B6 Page 553, this equates to National Archives reference WO 329/763 (page 553 thereof) and this should detail which RF battalions he served with and between which dates.

Regards

Steve

#11 Colin W Taylor

Colin W Taylor

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 932 posts
  • Interests:The units that fought around Croisilles and Fontaine-les-Croisilles 1917-8,

The Universities and Public Schools Brigade Royal Fusiliers

Also the 'Immortals' of Festubert

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:10 AM

Roger

If you want to visit the area you're looking at the ground just to the west of Fontaine-les-Croisilles. 20th RF were involved in pushing the line forward by patrols after a local German withdrawal on the night 23-24th April. Whilst it would be impossible to give an exact location I may be able to help with a map of the area. If you could send me a message with an email address I'll try and send you a rough map; my apologies if there I a delay, I haven't got good access to the internet at present.

Kind regards

Colin

#12 barryb

barryb

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

Hi everyone, 

It now appears that this war diary is no longer available to download from the National Archives, so i was wondering if anyone has the battalion war diary for December 1916, especially around the 20th. I'm looking into a man named Roger Gwynne Field, a private with the 20th battalion, who was supposedly 'killed in action' carrying rations. He's probably not mentioned by name, but I would be very interested to discover where he was serving around the time of his death. 

Help anyone

Barry.

#13 Graeme Clarke

Graeme Clarke

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

Hi Barry

WD says

18 - The battalion moved into the right sub-section SE of Rancourt opposite St. Pierre Vaast Wood, relieving the 1st Cameronians.

19-21 - The front line companies were relieved nightly from support and reserve companies.

22 - The battalion was relieved by 2 A&SH and proceeded to Haurepas Halte.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Graeme

#14 barryb

barryb

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

Hello Graeme, 

Many thanks for such a rapid reply, very much appreciated. 

Barry. 

#15 Graeme Clarke

Graeme Clarke

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

Hi

Glad to help,

Regards,

Graeme