Lte T.S. Jones-RWF

4 replies to this topic

#1 Dannemois

Dannemois

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 741 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

I am researching Lieut. T. S. Jones named on the Tirphil War Memorial and the only one found on CWGC is JONES, THOMAS STEPHEN, Second Lieutenant, RWF, 10 Battalion, Date of Death: 26/09/1917, Age 26, Panel 63 to 65. TYNE COT MEMORIAL Additional Information: Son of Stephen and Mary Jones, of 7, Coedeoe Yor Phil, Cardiff.

I failed to find an address of Coedeoe Yor Phil in Cardiff and I’m wondering if it could be Coedcae, Tirphil. Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Roy

#2 SWB

SWB

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hi Roy,

There is a Tirphil in New Tredegar in Gwent?

Regards.

Dean

#3 LST_164

LST_164

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,601 posts
  • Interests:WW1 Anglesey Casualties

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

Roy,

On any given index, whether those for genealogical sites or SDGW or Commonwealth War Graves, you will find a plethora of misspellings of Welsh (and other) place names!!  Some read like locations in the Balkans, others just gibberish.  In short, Coedcae, Tirphil is almost certainly correct in this case.  

Battle of Polygon Wood, 3 officers killed and 9 wounded plus Lt.-Col. Compton-Smith.  The very detailled battalion war diary is downloadable from the NA site for a modest sum.  One of the wounded was Capt. Morgan Watcyn-Williams MC, a Welsh Calvinistic Methodist ministerial student who had enlisted as an Other Rank, and who later wrote about his war experiences in From Khaki To Cloth (1948).   See pp.104-107 for this period.  

Clive

#4 Dannemois

Dannemois

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 741 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hi Dean

Thanks for the comment; it is the cenotaph of the village Tirphil, New Tredegar I am researching. 

Roy

#5 Dannemois

Dannemois

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 741 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

Thanks Clive, I thought it might be Coedcae, Tirphil. 

Very often, especially on passenger lists, and, on overseas service records, I note many an entry of Tirphil, Cardiff, for birthplace. 

Thanks for the details, I will try and obtain a copy of  Capt. Morgan Watcyn-Williams MC 'From Khaki to Cloth from our local library when they reopen in the New Year-unless someone on forum has a copy and kindly post pp.104-107; to cut the waiting time.

Best Regards, Roy