2 replies to this topic

#1 jmc1905

jmc1905

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

Dear Members,

Thought I'd just draw your attention to a WWI project that's being run by the Yorkshire Film Archive in the run-up to the Centenary commemorations in August. The project is entitled Filmed and Not Forgotten and its basic premise is to identify and research individuals immortalised in the films that we hold from this period, as well as putting the footage in the context of the conflict as a whole. We're really keen to foster some community involvement and I hope that a small portion of the wealth of knowledge evident on GWF might be focused in this direction!

To that end we've recently set up a research site that will house the footage and a forum for the sharing of information, which can be found by clicking here or searching www.filmedandnotforgotten.com

For example, the films we're researching include:

A Highland Sports Event in Ripon during April 1916, featuring the following battalions (and possibly others):

- the 3/7th and 3/9th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

- the 3/4th, 3/5th and 3/7th Black Watch

- the 3/4th Cameron Highlanders

- the 3/7th Gordon Highlanders

- the 3/7th, 3/9th , 19th (Glasgow Highlanders) and 20th Highland Light Infantry

- the 18th Royal Scots

- the 3/5th and 3/6th Seaforth Highlanders

- the 42nd Reserve Park, Army Service Corps

- the 55th Remount Squadron, Army Service Corps

- the West Riding, Northumbrian and North Midland Divisions of the Royal Field Artillery

What we believe might be footage of the Royal Flying Corps at Beverley Racecourse, although the reference in the film to a Lance Corporal Chapell has thrown this in some doubt.

Footage of the 4th (Hallamshire) and 5th Battalions of the York and Lancaster Regiment before they headed to France.

A film taken in Hull to raise funds for the city's Great War Trust that aimed to support those who had been disabled during the conflict, as well as their dependents.

The forum is now open to comments so hopefully will begin to be populated over the coming weeks, but do feel free to get in touch via the contact form or by messaging me here.

Enjoy the footage, and any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jonty (Filmed and Not Forgotten)

#2 gnr.ktrha

gnr.ktrha

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

What a great project. I am working on a Black Watch Pipers project with an Ex BW Pipe Major. We are going to have a good look at the Games at Ripon to see if we can name any of the Piper's in your film. Will let you know if we can help.
               Thanks for posting the link,
                                    Stewart

#3 jmc1905

jmc1905

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:43 PM

Thanks ever so much Stewart,

We've sourced a newspaper piece written just afterwards in the Ripon Gazette that lists some of the winners, including a few names that might be of interest:

The piping competition was won by Cpl Mackay of the 3/7th Black Watch, 2nd place Cpl J Logie of the 3/6th Seaforth Highlanders, and 3rd place Piper McDonald of the 3/4th Black Watch. Incidentally the 3/4 Black Watch also won the Pipe Band competition, ahead of battalions from the Highland Light Infantry and the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

You might have noticed that the copy of the film isn't framed particularly well - resulting in some of the heads being chopped off at the top of the image. This is just due to an older digital copy of the film - we've since had it re-done and I'll upload the newer version when I get chance. It's still not perfectly framed (dodgy cameraman!) but should make identification of the pipers and other troops a little bit easier.

All the best,

Jonty