Thought I'd just draw your attention to a WWI project that's being run by the Yorkshire Film Archive in the run-up to the Centenary commemorations in August. The project is entitled Filmed and Not Forgotten and its basic premise is to identify and research individuals immortalised in the films that we hold from this period, as well as putting the footage in the context of the conflict as a whole. We're really keen to foster some community involvement and I hope that a small portion of the wealth of knowledge evident on GWF might be focused in this direction!
To that end we've recently set up a research site that will house the footage and a forum for the sharing of information, which can be found by clicking here or searching www.filmedandnotforgotten.com
For example, the films we're researching include:
A Highland Sports Event in Ripon during April 1916, featuring the following battalions (and possibly others):
- the 3/7th and 3/9th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
- the 3/4th, 3/5th and 3/7th Black Watch
- the 3/4th Cameron Highlanders
- the 3/7th Gordon Highlanders
- the 3/7th, 3/9th , 19th (Glasgow Highlanders) and 20th Highland Light Infantry
- the 18th Royal Scots
- the 3/5th and 3/6th Seaforth Highlanders
- the 42nd Reserve Park, Army Service Corps
- the 55th Remount Squadron, Army Service Corps
- the West Riding, Northumbrian and North Midland Divisions of the Royal Field Artillery
What we believe might be footage of the Royal Flying Corps at Beverley Racecourse, although the reference in the film to a Lance Corporal Chapell has thrown this in some doubt.
Footage of the 4th (Hallamshire) and 5th Battalions of the York and Lancaster Regiment before they headed to France.
A film taken in Hull to raise funds for the city's Great War Trust that aimed to support those who had been disabled during the conflict, as well as their dependents.
The forum is now open to comments so hopefully will begin to be populated over the coming weeks, but do feel free to get in touch via the contact form or by messaging me here.
Enjoy the footage, and any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Jonty (Filmed and Not Forgotten)