Identification sought

6 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Frankish

Mike Frankish

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

Here's hoping that a forum member will be able to solve this mystery for me. I bought a pair of photographs some time ago. The first is an image of the RMA and RMC combined rugby teams of 1912 featuring 29 players and all named on the mount. The missing player was a member of the RMA team. The second image was un-named but of the full RMA XV featuring the same fourteen that are named in the combined image. I've attached a crop of the player who was the missing player and it'd be great if I could get a name for him too. These could have been taken on 16th November 1912 when both sides played at Sandhurst. You never know, someone out there may have a match programme/souvenir! His identified teammates are:

John Melville Balfour - KIA Oct 17

George Frederick Cottrell - KIA May 15

Alan Algernon Marion Durand

Roland Elphinstone Gordon - KIA Aug 18

Eric George William Warde Harrison

Colin Ross Marshall Hutchinson

Alexander Maclean Jackson - KIA Apr 17

Edenby Gordon Lutyens

AC McIntyre

Malcolm Edward Moir

Norman Moore Owen - KIA Sept 14

Adelbert Durrell Pank - KIA Jun 15

Ronald Mackenzie Scobie

Henry Alexander Tyler

Similarly, if anyone can provide/identify the full name for AC McIntyre, I'd be grateful.

Many thanks.

Attached Files

#2 Phil Evans

Phil Evans

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

WO 338 entries for A C McIntyre that may be him:

Attached File  WO338 A C McIntyre.jpg   59.27KB   0 downloads

Phil

#3 rflory

rflory

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,750 posts
  • Interests:Twentieth Century Royal Artillery officers, especially for the Great War

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:59 AM

Are you sure of the name? According to 'The Sandhurst Collection" there is no cadet with the surname 'McIntyre' who graduated from either Woolwich or Sandhurst between 1911 and 1927.

#4 Mike Frankish

Mike Frankish

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:00 AM

Thanks for the swift replies. The name to the mount is definitely 'AC McIntyre'. It's not unknown for spelling mistakes to be made with the mount names. There could also be the chance that, for some reason, he didn't graduate.

#5 battiscombe

battiscombe

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

I have an RMA magazine of oct 1912 ...which lists an H J M M'Intyre playing against Blackheath Oct 9th.. team was A M Jackson, E N Harrison, R E Gordon, C R M Hutchison, R D Pank, R M Scobie, McIntyre, A M Durand, G F Cottrell, J M Balfour, A Owen, E G Lutyens, N E Moir, H Churcher, A E Rusher

sept 21 team was A M Jackson, E N Harrison, R E Gordon, C R M Hutchison, R D Pank, R M Scobie, M'Intyre, [forwards] Tyler, A M Durand,  J M Balfour, N E Moir, A E Rusher, E G Lutyens,   Scott Watson, Dobbin

Oct 2nd: Brazier, Eliot,   R E Gordon, C R M Hutchison, R D Pank, R M Scobie, M'Intyre, [forwards] A M Durand, G F Cottrell, J M Balfour, A Owen, A E Rusher,N E Moir, E G Lutyens, H Churcher,

from what i can see these were their main positions.. so we are looking for a forward i think ..

John Melville Balfour - KIA Oct 17 - forward

George Frederick Cottrell - KIA May 15  - forward

Alan Algernon Marion Durand - forward

Roland Elphinstone Gordon - KIA Aug 18 - three quarter

Eric George William Warde Harrison - three quarter

Colin Ross Marshall Hutchinson- three quarter

Alexander Maclean Jackson - KIA Apr 17 - back

Edenby Gordon Lutyens   - forward

AC McIntyre -half

Malcolm Edward Moir - forward

Norman Moore Owen - KIA Sept 14  - forward

Adelbert Durrell Pank - KIA Jun 15 - three quarter

Ronald Mackenzie Scobie - half

Henry Alexander Tyler - forward

in Dec 1912 a Hugh Murray Johstone-Mclntyre was commissioned into the RGA

#6 Aneurin

Aneurin

Lieutenant

• Old Sweat
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

A match report and teams can be found in The Times 18.11.12 p12. Sandhurst won 23-11.

The missing forward appears to be "GM" Churcher (Wellington). "HMJ" McIntyre (United Services College) is listed at half back.

The RMA team captain Roland Gordon won three Scottish caps later in 1912-13.

Gwyn

#7 Mike Frankish

Mike Frankish

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

This forum never fails to come up with the results. According to my Quarterly Army List of Dec 17 my missing man, appears in all likelihood, to be George Maurice Churcher MC who was commissioned into the RA on 19th Dec 1913.
The McIntyre as named on the mount is a strange one as it would appear from the replies that he is in fact Hugh Murray Johnstone McIntyre (RA, 20th Dec 1912) which is big mistake made somewhere along the line to end up with 'AC' as your initials printed on the mount!
Many thanks to you all and a happy new year!