Photo

BEGBIE SIGNALLING LAMP "B"

11 replies to this topic

#1 6th Hauraki KIA KAHA

6th Hauraki KIA KAHA

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 597 posts
  • Interests:Div Signals N.Z.E, Mounted Signal Troop. Signals Equipment. 6th Hauraki.

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:49 AM

Wanting information on when these old beast's service was ended?, they were used by New Zealand Divisional signal's At Gallipoli. Does anyone no when they became obsolete in the British Army , mine is 1911 dated Signalling lamp "B London Reform lighting company Ser no.6534 here in this pic with glass chimney's spare wick, felt jackets box and tripod with 1913 dated signal satual. Does anyone out there have one or any pics of them in use also if you have any other ww1 signal lamps or equipment would like to see pics if possible? only have this pic from this great little book on a signal-mans diary Gallipoli and France.
Attached File  Begbie.jpg   18.84KB   15 downloadsAttached File  SS.jpg   19.27KB   13 downloads

#2 grantsmil

grantsmil

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 486 posts
  • Interests:Military uniforms and equipment; Australian and European

Posted 31 March 2005 - 12:48 PM

You're right, the signalling lamp is a rare as you can get. If you see a spare one around be sure to let me know.
I have my uncle's diary from Gallipoli, and although he mentions a number of visual signalling aids, he does not mention the lamp. He mentions the electric lamp, flags, and helios, and the 'phones. Apparently visual signalling was not very popular at Gallipoli, for obvious reasons. As yet I have seen very little on your lamp, I'll hunt through some manuals and see what I can find.

#3 6th Hauraki KIA KAHA

6th Hauraki KIA KAHA

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 597 posts
  • Interests:Div Signals N.Z.E, Mounted Signal Troop. Signals Equipment. 6th Hauraki.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:29 AM

Thanks Grant for the help, I will do if i come across another.

Yes visual signalling must of been a bit of a danger at Galipoli, but it was still done as i have read, A list from a signaler states the gear he unloaded from his barge, eight Begbie lamps April 25 1915 and on the 29th talks about the loss of two Begbie lamps when they moved there position just to the left of Walkers Ridge and how it was hard to keep up communication with various stations because of enemy fire but by the next day communication via semaphore was established to all stations.! have the 1909 manual of signalling it has how to use and info on the Begbie but my two other 1915 signals manuals don't have any information on lamps of any kind only Heliographs. Was your grandfather a signalman?. Here is a pic i found on a site of signals in 1917 with begbie.
smile.gif ph34r.gif Attached File  ADMG00aa00ak.jpg   106.5KB   0 downloads

#4 Stebie9173

Stebie9173

General

• Old Sweats
  • 12,908 posts
  • Interests:Northamptonshire Regiment (mainly 6th Bn.), 12th Div Signals R.E., 9th Black Watch, Royal Engineers.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:35 AM

Somehow, the thought of standing up out of a trench and waving a semaphore flag about makes you think that the Infantry might suddenly be a nice easy option...

My great-uncle was a signaller, 12th Divisional Signals Company RE. Very interesting picture! Provides a telling, and somewhat chilling, insight into their job.

Steve

#5 grantsmil

grantsmil

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 486 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE (6th Hauraki KIA KAHA @ Apr 1 2005, 05:29 AM)
I have the 1909 manual of signalling it has how to use and info on the Begbie but my two other 1915 signals manuals don't have any information on lamps of any kind only Heliographs. Was your grandfather a signalman?.

I still haven't found the manuals I was looking for, 1912 and 1914. Hopefully they may shed some light, on the lamp (so to speak).

My Grandfather was in the Navy, and keen on signaling, in all its forms. My great uncles were all signalers.
Frank E Garrett Spr 19327 1st Signal Troop
Fred G H Garrett Sgt. 709 (DCM) 3rd Light Horse
Clive (A) Silby S/Sgt 14350 (MID) 1st Australian & New Zealand Wireless Signal Squadron (Mesoptania).
They did try to teach me morse, but I was a poor student and prefered to use the 'talky' radio instead.

#6 6th Hauraki KIA KAHA

6th Hauraki KIA KAHA

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 597 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for the help Grant thats allot of Signals history in your family:)
My great Grandfather was in the Australian Signals he served at Gallipoli and France He was A New Zealander so not sure why he was in the Australian Army. I have seen a picture of him when he finished as a 2 lieutenant. Cyril Vause. Do you no where I could access his file from in Australia?. Here as another pic of a lamp i can not identify in a picture of mine in use by N.Z Mounted Signal Troop on a tripod that is not the for Heliograph Signal lamp it is much smaller any ideas? it seems to have a cable of rubber tube off the side of it the photo dates about from about 1913 to 1915 c.

Attached Files

• Attached File  sig1.jpg   89.67KB   1 downloads

#7 grantsmil

grantsmil

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 486 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (6th Hauraki KIA KAHA @ Apr 4 2005, 08:18 AM)
My great Grandfather was in the Australian Signals he served at Gallipoli and France He was A New Zealander so not sure why he was in the Australian Army. I have seen a picture of him when he finished as a 2 lieutenant. Cyril Vause. Do you no where I could access his file from in Australia?. Here as another pic of a lamp i can not identify in a picture of mine in use by N.Z Mounted Signal Troop on a tripod that is not the for Heliograph Signal lamp it is much smaller any ideas? it seems to have a cable of rubber tube off the side of it the photo dates about from about 1913 to 1915 c.

The first site to go to will database of the Australian War Memorial:
http://www.awm.gov.a...e/133/index.asp
But for more information write to the National Office of the AUSTRALIAN ARCHIVES, the web site is
http://aa.gov.au
and the e-mail is : ww1prs@aa.gov.au
Or general contact by:
http://aa.gov.au/abo...tacting_us.html
There used to be a fee of $15Aus, and it was well worth it.

Vause, Cyril John
Service Number: 80
Unit: 1st DS Co
Service: Army
Honour / Award: Meritorious Service Medal
Date of London Gazette: 1 January 1918, page 76, position 56
Date of Commonwealth of Australia Gazette: 18 April 1918, page 848, position 108

#8 truthergw

truthergw

Lieut-General

• R.I.P.
  • 10,178 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the help Grant thats allot of Signals history in your family:)

Just a guess, but that looks like an acetylene lamp. Similar lamps were used on vehicles, bikes etc. No batteries, water and a lump of carbide and away you go. They were noisy.

#9 grantsmil

grantsmil

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 486 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:06 AM

My great Grandfather was in the Australian Signals he served at Gallipoli and France He was A New Zealander so not sure why he was in the Australian Army. I have seen a picture of him when he finished as a 2 lieutenant. Cyril Vause. Do you no where I could access his file from in Australia?.

More info, this time from the Australian Nominal Role:

Lieutenant Cyril John VAUSE "MSM" 1st Division Signal C. enlisted19/08/1914 and returned to Australia 22/09/1919

#10 6th Hauraki KIA KAHA

6th Hauraki KIA KAHA

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:16 AM

Thanks Grant for the info and links, he must have been living in Australia at the time
to join up there, I will send away for the files and it will be great going to pass this info onto my cousin he has the medals and photos ben trying to get copies of the photos.
His great grandfather on his fathers side was in the 12th light horse so I can tell him how to get the info to thanks so much for the help. smile.gif

#11 grantsmil

grantsmil

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 486 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (6th Hauraki KIA KAHA @ Mar 24 2005, 11:49 AM)
Wanting information on when these old beast's service was ended?, they were used by New Zealand Divisional signal's At Gallipoli. Does anyone no when they became obsolete in the British Army , mine is 1911 dated Signalling lamp "B London Reform lighting company Ser no.6534 here in this pic with  glass chimney's spare wick, felt jackets box and tripod with 1913 dated signal satual. Does anyone out there have one or any pics of them in use also if you have any other ww1 signal lamps or equipment would like to see pics if possible? only have this pic from this great little book on a signal-mans diary Gallipoli and France.

Your Lamp Signalling B, still was part of the training in the 1915 publication, SIGNALLING HANDBOOK for AUSTRALIAN MILITARY FORCES.
Eight (8) of these B Lamps were issued to each Infantry Battalion and six (6) were issued to Light Horse Regiments.

General Description
This is an oil lamp in which the light in (sic) concentrated by a 6-inch lens (bullseye).
It is fitted with a screw to secure it to the stand, which is the same that used with the heliograph and lime-light lamp.

Attached Files

#12 6th Hauraki KIA KAHA

6th Hauraki KIA KAHA

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:42 AM

Thanks once again Grant.
I have been hoping to find a good line drawing of the lamp.
It is interesting to no that it was used by Mounted troops as-well. Attached File  P1010795.jpg   51.99KB   8 downloads