Remembered Today:

My Grandad was a Sapper in WW1

11 replies to this topic

#1 Deleted_Guinevere_*

Deleted_Guinevere_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:54 PM

tongue.gif Hi,i just joined,i found you through a group i belong to called rootschat.
My grandad was a Sapper (im not sure what a sapper is).
I only found this out recently by getting a collection of birth certificates of my family.
My Uncle has my grandad on his birth certificate as GEORGE ALFRED DUBBER and it says occupation Sapper R.E i think they may mean royal engineers?,but also it had his real job under it as a Bill-Poster,i would love to know what that was.
I have never met anyone who knew my grandad,and indeed my family has all but gone,so if anyone knew him that would be great,but just getting his file would be wonderful,trouble is i dont have and army numbers that he would have had.
The birth cert was dated 1918 so i guess that was the end of the war,and its great he survived,as many didnt.I wish i knew more aboout the war,but maybe this site will teach me more.
My Dad was in WW2 but i cant find a regiment for him either,just a few pictures,and ive sent twice for help at records office,they dont seem very helpful and charged me 50,to tell me they couldnt look for his records as i didnt have his regiment,i argued that the rare name should narrow it down,but no joy.My Dads name was HENRY JAMES DUBBER sadly he passed away leaving only 3 pictures and no clues apart from fact he was a driver/rifleman,and we come from Portsmouth Hampshire,and i vaguely remember him saying something about the 8th whether that was a regiment i dont know.ive attached his pics
Also he told us,one of the paaswords to get into camp was "halt who goes there?" Answer "Two kippers on horseback,i love that password they sure had a sense of humoyr.lol.
Also,i think he may have spent some time stationed on isle of wight,and drank a lot.lol.
he never went overseas though.
Im looking forward to meeting you all.Take care Love Ann.(Guinevere)xx biggrin.gif blink.gif

Attached Files

#2 Deleted_Guinevere_*

Deleted_Guinevere_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:59 PM

Attached Files

#3 DirtyDick

DirtyDick

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,266 posts
  • Interests:All things and information about the submariners of both the World Wars

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:55 PM

Hello

For WW1 info., type in his name on the link to The National Archives and it should show you his Medal Index Card with service number.

http://www.documents...y=*&queryType=1

A billposter is, I am pretty sure, just a man who pastes posters onto boards and hoardings.

WW2 - The "8th" is most likely the "8th Army", one of the two armies raised for service in North Africa, formed from British and Commonwealth units: lots of different battalions serving in this set up. "Desert Rat" being a generic term for such men, who served under Monty against Rommel in 1942/3

With regard to the MoD and WW2 papers: they are not the most helpful people, but they do not have to be competitive. Best see whether there is a paybook or similar with such details, since WW2 campaign medals were issued unnamed.

Richard

#4 Stebie9173

Stebie9173

General

• Old Sweats
  • 12,907 posts
  • Interests:Northamptonshire Regiment (mainly 6th Bn.), 12th Div Signals R.E., 9th Black Watch, Royal Engineers.

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:12 PM

Hello, Ann.

Welcome aboard.

I, too, have a Royal Engineer in the family - two in fact (see below). A Sapper is the RE equivalent of a Private.

There is quite a bit of information on the website that accompanies this forum - The Long, Long Trail. Click on the link in the top left corner of this page. The Army Organisation (especially) and Army Definitions pages should help you..

I've just had a quick look at the Medal Cards and can't find a George or G Dubber... Hmmm.

Service records wise, there is good and bad news. The bad news is that the WW1 Service Records got Blitzed in WW2 and only about 30% survived the fire and water treatment. The good news is that they are filed alphabetically so not knowing a regiment is not a total obstacle to finding him. However, these aren't available online. You have to visit the National Archives at Kew and look at them on microfilm.

The Birth, Deaths and Marriages certificates show a George Alfred Dubber married in Portsmouth in the 1st Quarter of 1907 (to EITHER a Grace Louise Holroyd or Florence Ward (there were 2 marriages on that page), both ref 2b-861) and a George Alfred Dubber born Dec Quarter 1907 also in Portsmouth (ref 2b-492). Could this be your Grandfather & Uncle?

There are 9 George Dubbers in England on the 1901 Census, 5 of whom were in Portsmouth!

Hope this helps,
Steve.

#5 Deleted_Guinevere_*

Deleted_Guinevere_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:12 PM

Hi Thank you so much for your reply.
I know it wasnt 8th Army,he never left u.k,so i wonder if its a red herring,or maybe a regiment name or is it a platoon?,forgive my ignorance.
What did you mean by a paybook?and how would i ask for that?and who would i ask?.
I will check out my grandads medal page,im thrilled you gave me the address.I dont know if he got any medals,i know nothing of him,sadly our family are estranged.
The vehicle my Dad was on(hes 2rd from right),maybe important,and im told they all had white stars on in WW2 by a guy in rootschat.
I am determined to get to bottom of this,its taken me 20years till now,and im treading water methinks!.Lol. Bless you for your kindness.Love Ann.(Guinevere)xxxx tongue.gif

#6 Deleted_Guinevere_*

Deleted_Guinevere_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:20 PM

Thankyou for the welcome.Oh now i finally know what a sapper is!,you must think me so dumb.lol.
The George Alfred Dubber(the Sapper) Married Florence Ward in March 1907,are my grandparents,.They had a son George Alfred born about 6months later.
My great grandad Henry Dubber,he married a Elizabeth Collins on oct 25th 1885,the whole Dubber clan lived in Portsmouth,so im wondering if my Dad trained at Aldershot,as he was driver/rifleman in WW2.

Its a real maze this piecing family stuff together,but i have a burning desrie to know these things about military service of my family,hope that doesnt sond daft.Take care.Love Ann.Guinevere)xx wink.gif

#7 Stebie9173

Stebie9173

General

• Old Sweats
  • 12,907 posts
  • Interests:Northamptonshire Regiment (mainly 6th Bn.), 12th Div Signals R.E., 9th Black Watch, Royal Engineers.

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:22 PM

Ann, You don't need to press quote to reply. Use the Fast Reply or Add Reply buttons at the bottom of the page.

By the way, most of the Medals from the Medal Card pages are for Campaign Medals. If the saw service abroad they would have been awarded the medals. They weren't all for "Gallantry".

On the Medal Index Card page, click on "About" and then "Find out about World War One Campaign Medals"

I may be mistaken here, but I believe that a "Sap" is another word for a trench. In other words, a sapper is a digger of trenches. Of course, they did much more than that! (I don't think my Great-Uncle got a Military Medal for digging a superb trench biggrin.gif )

Steve.

#8 Deleted_Guinevere_*

Deleted_Guinevere_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:33 PM

Oh,Thanks Stebie,i wondered why i was getting the quote thing.lol.
I looked on the medal sites,and sadly no -one for me,there were 10 other Dubbers,and i wondered if one was my great grandad,but thought not,as he probably would have been oldish for war,im not sure.He was 21 in 1875,so maybe he wouldnt have been in service.
Im tempted to order it though,it said it was somewhere like cornwall,but under Hampshire regiment,i wonder if thats strange to be so far away from a regiments home.
Its so nice to meet such lovely helpful people, Than youk.Love Ann.xx:)smile.gif

#9 DirtyDick

DirtyDick

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,266 posts
  • Interests:All things and information about the submariners of both the World Wars

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:36 PM

Re: the Pay Book.

These were small browny-red books given to each soldier upon his being released from the Army.

Many servicemen kept theirs as souvenirs and it should outline service, leave, medicals and medals etc.: you might find it amongst his possessions. (I was given my grandfather's pay book years ago, since it had ended up with his eldest son and I never even realised that it existed.) If it still survives, anybody in the family could have it tucked away in their attic.

If you find it you will also be able to get his service papers since it will show his number and regiment/corps.

8th - just a guess about the 8th Army, for in general terms soldiers usually refer to their regiment rather than battalion.

Richard

#10 Stebie9173

Stebie9173

General

• Old Sweats
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:38 PM

Ann,

Do you know the name of your great-grandfather? I could probably find him on a Census if you don't...

Steve.

#11 Deleted_Guinevere_*

Deleted_Guinevere_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:48 PM

Oh well i dont have a pay book,my dad left nothing,only his driving licence,and my sister had that,so there is absolutely no evidence apart from the pics i added to go on,its so frustrating.
My great grandad was Henry Dubber and my g.g grandfather was George Dubber(this ive got from my great grandads marriage cert to Elizabeth Collins in 1875,i found my grandparents George Alfred And Florence Ward on the 1901 Census for Hampshire Portsea if my memory serves me right,we are all pompey people.

#12 Deleted_Guinevere_*

Deleted_Guinevere_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:49 PM

My grandparents george alfred and florence ward were on the 1901 census seperately as they never married till 1907 sorry forgot to add that in last message. smile.gifsmile.gif