Mt. Piana and Drei Zinnen (Italy)

31 replies to this topic

#1 Marco

Marco

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:46 AM

Has someone on this forum ever hicked on Mt. Piana (Piano) and/or the Drei Zinnen (Italy)?

Regards,

Marco

#2 Marco

Marco

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:13 AM

Don't tell me I have been to the only place on earth where no other forum members have been?! biggrin.gif

Regards,

Marco

#3 Marco

Marco

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:53 AM

Putting this one back on top one more time. Going, going.... (hope not gone).

Regards,

Marco

#4 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,105 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:48 PM

Marco,

I do not know this particular area myself,
But, last weekend’s [Sat. May, 14th 2005] ‘Weekend FT’ had an article by Michael Woods describing a holiday climbing in the Dolomites

‘The easy way to climb a mountain (apparently)’
“one of the many Via Ferrata………….These special routes were originally put in place as recreational climbs and used briefly in mountain warfare by rival Italian and Austrian armies during the first world war.”

Prepare for the invasion of Italy’s mountains by ‘armchair mountaineers’

Regards
Michael D.R.

#5 Marco

Marco

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:02 PM

Hello Michael,

I'm revisiting so early in the season that I hope and trust I'll be the only one with a WFA and/or Baker's Pal shirt on biggrin.gif.

My question has to do with the different routes up these mountains. In 2001 I did it 'the hard way' but with 4 added years of good life I'm wondering if I should take a more easier route this time.

Regards,

Marco

#6 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,105 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:42 PM

Marco,

It’s nearly thirty years since I did any climbing in the Alps
So for me [when, or more likely, if I ever get back there] there would not be much wondering – it would have to be the easier route

Enjoy yourself, but be careful up there!

Best regards
Michael D.R.

#7 Marco

Marco

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:15 AM

To answer my own question: you can not (no longer?) drive up to rifugio Bosi, so you have to walk the 5 km uphill. That is the bad news. The good news is that there is a 'jeep service'. But the bad news is that this started june 9th 2005 and I was there June 6th. Anyhow, we made it to the top once more but as I wasn't tall to start with, now I'm worn down a few more inches/cm. But it was worth it.

Regards,

Marco

#8 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,105 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 01:59 PM

Welcome back to a fit and well Marco
Glad that you enjoyed it

Regards
Michael D.R.

#9 MartinWills

MartinWills

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 07:38 PM

Have to confess that Kate & I have been there - three years ago or so.

#10 Marco

Marco

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 11:06 AM

For those interested:

http://www.xs4all.nl...talytravel2.htm

Regards,

Marco

#11 paul guthrie

paul guthrie

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,733 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (Marco @ May 15 2005, 09:46 AM)
Has someone on this forum ever hicked on Mt. Piana (Piano) and/or the Drei Zinnen (Italy)?

Regards,

Marco

Well, the Evilandymax! mad.gif has been a hick ever since he became a temporary Kentuckian! rolleyes.gif

#12 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,105 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 05:12 PM

Marco,

Attached is another view [winter?] of the Drie Zinnen to go with your site’s illustrations nos. 13 and 14
It comes from ‘Ferienland Sudtirol’ by Siegfried Wenter; the book’s photographs being credited to Tappeiner Werbefoto, Meran-Bozen-Bruneck. [There is no publishing date which I can find, but our copy was given to us in 1986]
Quite a view and quite a place to do any soldiering;
difficult enough in peace time, but unbelievable in war time
hard enough in summer, but what about winter!

Regards
Michael D.R.

Attached Files

#13 Hedley Malloch

Hedley Malloch

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 05:38 PM

Going there on Wednesday on my honeymoon. Mountain climbing, the via ferrata, WW1 - and wor Fiona. What more could a man ask for?

Regards

Hedley

#14 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,105 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:31 PM

quote: Going there on Wednesday on my honeymoon. Mountain climbing, the via ferrata, WW1 - and wor Fiona. What more could a man ask for?
Regards
Hedley

You’re a brave man Hedley
Very best wishes to you and Fiona for a great honeymoon
And a very happy future ‘roped’ together

Regards
Michael D.R.

#15 Marco

Marco

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:35 PM

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the picture, looks great indeed.

Have fun Hedley and if you like let me know what you found inside rif. Bosi. Been there two times now and missed the museum on both occasions sad.gif

Regards,

Marco

#16 paul guthrie

paul guthrie

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,733 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (Hedley Malloch @ Jul 23 2005, 05:38 PM)
Going there on Wednesday on my honeymoon.  Mountain climbing, the via ferrata, WW1 - and wor Fiona.  What more could a man ask for?

Regards

Hedley

Hedley I thought you were married when I saw you in Wipers! huh.gif Wrong huh? Well congratulations, have a big time! Lots of good WW1 forts etc in the far north.

#17 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,105 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:02 PM

Marco,

A recent family trip to Europe included a couple of nights in Cortina and I was able at long, long last, to make a (very) brief visit to the Italian front covered so well in your http://aur.home.xs4a...talytravel2.htm

After a nice drive up the toll road with its spectacular bends and vistas, I left my better-half with a good book, and then I walked along from the Rifugio Auronzo to the small chapel. The nearby memorial to Giovanni Banessa could do with a lick of new paint on its lettering, and alas its neighbour, the memorial to Alfredo Gaio and Grazioso Marcolin has still not been repaired yet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

On the other hand, the larger Bersaglieri memorial, which is also not too far from the chapel, seems to me to be in quite decent shape, bearing in mind that it stands at c.2300mtrs, in winter's freeze and summer's heat. Seen here with part of the Drei Zinnen/Tre Cime di Lavaredo (and the small chapel) in the background

Posted Image

#18 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,105 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

A plaque on the side seems to indicate that it was restored on the 50th anniversary and the two marble plaques on its front appear to be recent. The inscription beneath the regimental badge looks like a repeat of that (the original?) which is found on the opposite side.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,105 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:41 PM

I presume this figure to be a representation of the Archangel Michael driving out the serpent from the Garden of Eden

Posted Image

#20 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,105 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

On the same knoll and just a little way from the Bersaglieri monument is an obelisk topped by a cross which stands within a large rectangular patch of ground, bounded by what looks to me like the remains of a wall. It is seen below, with the former monument and the Monte Paterno/Paternkofel in the background, and the Drei Zinnen/Tre Cime di Lavaredo on the left.

Posted Image

As far as I could make out there was no inscription on the obelisk and I was wondering what it and its cross marked. Is it possible that this was a former burial ground and is also related to Great War events?

#21 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,105 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:46 PM

Another couple of interesting things were seen while walking back to the Rif. Auronzo.
A couple of old excavations on the opposite side of the col caught my eye.

Posted Image

Close-up
Posted Image

#22 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,105 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:49 PM

That on the right goes all the way through the knoll to the other side: this shot was taken about halfway, or two-thirds of the way along the tunnel
Posted Image

while that on the left is more like a shallow refuge, and the exposed path to it had been reinforced with logs.
Posted Image

Given the area and its history, it is hard not to imagine that these works too date from the Great War, but I may be quite wrong.

#23 bob lembke

bob lembke

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,985 posts
  • Interests:The Great War - Mostly the land war - Mostly the German side - Mostly the Western Front Especially: Flame throwers, Special formations; Pioniere Sturm=Truppen Jaeger, usw.

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:20 PM

I have been in the area with my Slovene mountain guide, but we weren't climbing, but transiting to and fro between Slovenija and Switzerland and Chamoixnee (sp.? in France). Am plotting to take my wife to the area, but my "pins" aren't Alps-worthy any more, I fear. Many fine memories. Have seen alpine fortifications in the Julian Alps in Slovenija, near Kobarid, i.e., Caparetto.

Bob Lembke

#24 Heid the Ba'

Heid the Ba'

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 957 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

I have langlaufed in this area and seen these from a ditance but not close up, or in summer. Great photos.

#25 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,105 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:55 AM

Bob & HtB - thanks for your comments here
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

As you will have seen, my practical experience here was limited to a couple of hours in the middle of a family tour. The only advice which I can pass on to others regarding walking this battlefield is to repeat that which was given on the notice boards provided by the Province. (These may be available in leaflet form somewhere, but I could not find one)

The maps and their illustrations, as well as the English translation are the copyright of the Provincia di Belluno, as is ALL responsibility for the comments on the 'difficulty' of the various routes.

Posted Image
No.1:
FORCELLA LAVAREDO ROUTE. From Forcella Col di Mezzo (2315 m) to the rocky foreparts of Sasso di Landro (Quota 2536) and through communications trenches towards west/east until Forcella Lavaredo. Trail marker: tracks. Descent: return to Forcella Col di Mezzo crossing the scree slopes below the northern rock faces of the Tre Cime. Trail marker: tracks.
ELEVATION GAIN/LOSS. 400-500 metres, taking into consideration that it is at high altitude characterized by continuous up and downs
ESTIMATED TIME. 3-4 hours
DIFFICULTY. Excursion route
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Posted Image
No.2:
QUOTA "2385" AT PIANI DI LAVAREDO ROUTE. From Forcella Lavaredo (2457 m) to Forcella Col di Mezzo (2315 m) across the "Piani di Lavaredo" and the Rifugio Auronzo (Auronzo Hut) (2330 m). Starting point: Rifugio Auronzo.
Trail marker no. 104 – tracks – not marked.
ELEVATION GAIN/LOSS. NB: There is a mistake on the board which I saw and these details were not given in English. However, the Italian version suggests about 140 metres.
ESTIMATED TIME. About 1,30 hours
DIFFICULTY. Excursion itinerary of great historical interest.
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .... ...

Posted Image
No.3:
CRODA DELL'ARGHENA ROUTE. From Malga Rinbianco (1841 m) to the summit of Croda dell'Arghena via Forcella dell'Arghena; it is possible to visit the base of logistics at Rinbianco.
Descent: through the same trail; red trail marker.
ELEVATION GAIN/LOSS. About 400 metres
ESTIMATED TIME. About 3-3,30 hours
DIFFICULTY. Route along military roads and paths; excursion itinerary except for some exposed passages in the final part of the summit climbing and in the visiting of the defensive works.

Reply to this topic