Rare Allied Subjects Medal.

6 replies to this topic

#1 Duncan

Duncan

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 490 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:43 PM

What's everyones opinion to this? The ribbons not correct, but what about the medal itself?

Attached Files

#2 Les Turner

Les Turner

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:48 PM

Duncan,

I don't recognise it.... any chance of a pic of the reverse?

Les.

#3 Duncan

Duncan

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 490 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:52 PM

Hi,
I recognise the medal, it's called the Allied Subjects Medal, and was given by the British government to those people (usually French and Belgians) who helped allied soldiers during WW1. The reverse is the George V head as in the British War Medal - sorry didn't get scan of reverse.

Do people think it's real or fake? I think it looks suspect?

#4 Duncan

Duncan

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 490 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:03 PM

Here's a picture of a definately genuine one. My guess is that the bronze on is a fake?

Attached Files

#5 davidhhh

davidhhh

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:53 PM

There were both silver and bronze medals issued (the Treasury vetoed the award of gold medals because of the cost).

The first illustration, of a bronze medal, looks very much like a real one in my possession, apart from the incorrect ribbon.

The one shown in a later posting is a silver one, hence the different appearance.

#6 auchonvillerssomme

auchonvillerssomme

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 10,037 posts
  • Interests:First World War in general, Somme specifically. War memorials and losses.

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:48 PM

134 in silver
574 in bronze

#7 HarryBettsMCDCM

HarryBettsMCDCM

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,071 posts
  • Interests:A Life Long{So Far} Interest,Collection & Research Of All Campaign,Gallantry & Service Medals;Particularly those Awarded to Men who served with the 1/1st Cambridgeshire Regiment TF;1908 ~ 1939 & Antecedents[3rdVB Suffolk R.]/1st & 2nd Bns TA[1939~46]Medals Trios & Groups To The 6th Service Battalion The Northamptonshire Regiment,& For Variety Unusual Groups to the Royal Regiment of Artillery & Army Service Corps{RASC}

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:53 PM

any chance of a pic of the reverse

Heads~Obverse

Tails~Reverse

The King's Bust should have the letters "B.M." on the truncation{where his neck finishes} on a genuine medal,though some copies do carry these...
it should be Bronze & feel like bronze,{like the TFWM etc;}