Photo

Royal Navy at Gallipoli

3 replies to this topic

#1 delta

delta

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,016 posts
  • Interests:The First Tank Crews - those who fought at Flers-Courcelette on 15 Sept 1916

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:45 PM

I am trying to learn more about the Royal Navy's actions during the Gallipoli campaign. Could some one point me in the direction of a book which describes the various ships' actions and (if possible) the tactics behind their use.

#2 MartinWills

MartinWills

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE (delta @ Nov 3 2005, 10:45 PM)
I am trying to learn more about the Royal Navy's actions during the Gallipoli campaign.  Could some one point me in the direction of a book which describes the various ships' actions and (if possible) the tactics behind their use.

If you read through this thread
Thread

you should find some very useful pointers - Keyes is a good starting point.

#3 Bruce Dennis

Bruce Dennis

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:In roughly the correct order: The Aegean theater, the naval war, submarines and other new weapons, the war in the air, diplomatic and strategic decisions, the transition of Victorian trained military and diplomatic leaders to modern war, "innocent bystanders" caught up in events, and the legacy of the alliances from the First World War in modern contexts. Outside the WW1 area, I am a keen reader, I enjoy painting, baking, woodworking and restoring classic cars.

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:06 AM

Stephen, two very useful books for insights are:
The Fight for Gallipoli, by Sir Roger Keyes, (1941)
The Immortal Gamble, by AT Stewart & the Rev. CJE Peshall(1917)

Read both in conjunction with The Great War at Sea 1914-1918 by Richard Hough, and if the budget allows, Naval Operations vol 11 by Sir Julian Corbett (1920).

Alternatively, you could wait about two years for the book I am putting together. (Maybe not best that you wait on me)

Bruce

#4 delta

delta

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,016 posts
  • Interests:The First Tank Crews - those who fought at Flers-Courcelette on 15 Sept 1916

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:20 AM

Many thanks for the good info - guys - will start hunting for books this weekend smile.gif
Stephen