Auckland regiment

12 replies to this topic

#1 Brian90

Brian90

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:38 AM

Does anybody know if the New Zealand Auckland Regiment were involved in the battle of the Somme?

I am researching Lt Skoglund of the 2nd Battalion A I R 16th Coy. On 6th July 1916 he was admitted to No.35 Gen Hospital, Calais and sent back to England on 8th on the SS Dieppe.

I have a have obtained his service record from New Zealand but I would like to know what his Regiment were doing.

Thanks

Brian90

#2 Bob Coulson

Bob Coulson

Brigadier-General

• R.I.P.
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 11:30 AM

Brian,

Not certain but I think the New Zealanders were first in action in September on the Somme.

Bob.

#3 Brian90

Brian90

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 01:25 PM

Bob

Thanks for the information.

Brian90

#4 Robert Dunlop

Robert Dunlop

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,466 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 04:53 PM

The Auckland Regiment was involved on the Somme. Both 1st and 2nd Auckland Battalions fought there. My Grandfather was wounded in one of the actions.

Andrew Macdonald's book 'On My Way to the Somme' gives a detailed account of this phase of the New Zealand Division's history.

Your man was not wounded on the Somme, unless he was there for some other reason. On the date mentioned, the New Zealand Division were based near Armentieres. They were engaged in a number of diversionary raids designed to help pin German troops in the area.

The Division headed off to the Somme on 2nd September, 1916.

Robert

#5 Aaron Nelson

Aaron Nelson

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:The New Zealand Expeditionary force in the first world war.

Posted 19 November 2005 - 06:24 PM

Hi Brian,

Just a couple of items which you may find of interest pertaining to your man. the 16th Coy was the "Waikato" company, its ranks filled with men mostly from the Waikato region South of Auckland.

Also I am in pocession of a raid report for the 1st Auckland Battalion on the night of 3/4th July 1916. The Germans attempted a raid starting with a heavy bombardment then attacked with infantry,casualties of 1st Auckland were 30 Other ranks killed, 3 officers and 66 other ranks wounded, 8 other ranks mising. This raid by the Germans took place at LÉpinette.

Im unsure whether your man may have been one of those wounded as this report was written describing only 1st Aucklands actions. However it is possible that 2nd Auckland may have been in the reserve trenches behind 1st Aucklands position, and some shells from the heavy barrage that the Germans put up may have landed in the vicinity of your mans position. The date of this raid sits nicely with your man been admitted to a Hospital in Calais a couple of days later. Im sorry but I dont have specific info on 2nd Auckland for this period.

Also the New Zealanders first real taste of action on the Somme was on the 15th of September 1916, 2nd Auckland suffered heavy casualties that day.

Best regards Aaron.

#6 Brian90

Brian90

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 08:45 PM

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated. I have now had the opportunity to study his casualty record which indicates that he may not have been at the somme after all.

Lt Kossuth Skoglund was a Dentist serving with the New Zealand Expeditionary Force. According to his Casualty record was transferred from 1st battalion on 1.3.1916 and joined the 2nd Battalion on 14.3.1916. On 25.3.1916 he was promoted Lt. and having been in Egypt disembarked at Marseilles on 7th July 1916. He was then admitted to Hospital in Calais the next day.

He was shown to be suffering from neuroasthemia, but in later correspondance talked about suffering the effects of gas.

Brian90

#7 Captain Dave

Captain Dave

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Military (esp WW1) History, militaria.<br />Model Tanks &amp; airplanes<br />Running &amp; cycling up big hills &amp; falling down the other side.

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:10 AM

Badge and collar dogs of Waikato Regt as used by Waikato Coy in the 1,2, and 3rd Auckland Regiments.

Link below, brief history of Auck Regt and WW1

http://www.aucknorth...tory/hisww1.htm

Attached Files

#8 Brian90

Brian90

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:37 PM

Captain Dave

A really helpful link, many thanks.

Brian90

#9 AndyMacdonald

AndyMacdonald

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 374 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:20 PM

Brian90,

Hi there. Your relative was wounded while the NZ Div held the salient that bubbled around the village of Armentieres. The date you give - 6.7.16 - would make him one of 2/Auckland's first casualties in France. NZ troops were in the line there between May and mid-August 1916, before they went to the Somme.
NZ service papers can be a bit tricky to comprehend, especially if you've not handled them before. Make sure the date you have (on teh B213?) is the date of the action, NOT the date reported, which is in the left-most column on the same sheet. I interviewed an old soldier of 2/Auckland in the early 1990s, plus a Canterbury Regiment vet who was in supports at the time your relative was wounded. Is there any info inparticular that you're after?
Here are a couple of books you might consider in the meantime:
The Auckland Regiment, by Ormond (or OE) Burton, which is a 'pop' regimental history.
The History of the Canterbury Regiment, by ? Ferguson, which gives context to the colour provided by the Auckland history. THere are a couple of quite good NZ personal narratives about, but none of these men were in your relative's brigade. Again, let me know what you're after and I can advise a more precise reading list that will answer you questions.
If you have any other queries drop me an email at: andymacdonald_nz@yahoo.co.nz

Regards
Andrew Macdonald

#10 shark

shark

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Research the history of the village where i live, also attend to maintain the remembrance of the men who fought during WW1

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (Brian90 @ Nov 19 2005, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anybody know if the New Zealand Auckland Regiment were involved in the battle of the Somme?

I am researching Lt Skoglund of the 2nd Battalion A I R 16th Coy. On 6th July 1916 he was admitted to No.35 Gen Hospital, Calais and sent back to England on 8th on the SS Dieppe.

I have a have obtained his service record from New Zealand but I would like to know what his Regiment were doing.

Thanks

Brian90

i suggest you get in touch with aconnolly on this forum he has the diary

#11 Brian90

Brian90

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:28 PM

Andy

Thank you very much for the information. Although I have got 47 pages of his service record and sundry papers this bit of information wasn't clear. Lt Skoglund eventually ended up at Brockenhurst, Hampshire where he married my great Aunt. He went back to New Zealand but as he was unfit never returned. There are letters asking the authorities how his wife and chuild could join him in New Zealand but it seems that they never made the journey. Lt Skoglund dying in 1952.

Brian90

Shark

many thanks, will do.

Brian90

#12 aconnolly

aconnolly

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 388 posts
  • Interests:NZEF in the Great War
    Medical aspects of the Great War

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:43 AM

Dear Brian

From the 2/Auckland War Diary for the period. I wonder if the date of arrival in France is correct as 2/Auckland arrived in France on 17 April 1916 and entrained north the next day. If the date of arrival in France was infact 7 July, then any wounds or illness he had almost cetrainly "came with him" from Egypt.

The regiment first went into the trenches at Armentieres on 14 May, suffering its first casualties during an 8 day "stint" (2 KIA, 7 wounded) . Returned to the trenches 20 June and by 8 July had taken 13 OR KIA, 3 Officers and 54 OR wounded. Skoglund is not listed as one of the 3 Officers.

Even though in civialian life he was a dentist, he appears to me to have served as a combatant in the Auckland Regiment. I note you refer to him as serving as a dentist, but I cannot confirm this and cannot find reference to him in the Medical history.

I cannot find a reference to him in the 1/Auckland War Diary for early 1916.

In the Official histories I can't see any reference to a German gas attack around early July 1916 on the Armentieres sector.

It is interesting that the NZEF records you have refer to "neurasthemia" - suspect this is a typo in the records as neuroasthenia is essentially a general term for various neurological symptoms including shell shock and battle fatigue, nervous system effects of head trauma, and the nervous system symptoms following exposure to Mustard gas.

With regard to gas in the Armentieres area in early - mid 1916, there was a significant German gas attack on the Messines sector of the line on April 30th 1916. Messines is very close to Armentieres, so if he was in France in April, it is possible he was affected in this gas attack, being only admitted to hospital later. Having said that, no mention in the diaries and roughly 10 weeks between exposure and admission to hospital. Also it is important to note that Mustard gas was not involved - this type was only introduced in 1917.

Hope this helps a bit!

Regards

Andrew

#13 Brian90

Brian90

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:01 PM

Andrew

Thank you for this information. I will 're-visit' the information on his service record to see if I can confirm dates etc.

Most helpful. Thanks

Brian