Remembered Today:

Photo

British Army Badge(s) on a German soldier?

34 replies to this topic

#26 david murdoch

david murdoch

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (Old Contemptible @ Jan 18 2006, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ralph

I think the first 'badge' could actually be two badges, one above the other. The lower one looks like it could be Light Infantry, possibly KSLI with the top part of the badge obscured.

Just a theory.

Paul

The first "badge" looks like two to me also - that being the case would make them quite small - comparing the scale to his own head gear, and comparing to the Scottish cap badges I have. Maybe they are collar titles, and the larger ones behind could be shoulder titles - depending what stage of the war, may be more likely if the bodies they were taken from were wearing tin hats. I wouldn't give a lot for his chances if he got lifted wearing them - same would go for trophy belts and the like.
David.

#27 Old Contemptible

Old Contemptible

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Army Medical Services in the Great War

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:29 PM

David

I agree with the collar dog theory. I also have a feeling that the upper badge is possibly Aussie.

Paul

#28 grantsmil

grantsmil

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 485 posts
  • Interests:Military uniforms and equipment; Australian and European

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:55 PM

Has anyone considered that these are not British, Commonwealth or allies badges?
Nothing looks like an Australian badge in the photo that I can see.
The German's allies, the Austrians, had a habit of adorning their hats and caps with small badges, pins and other souvenirs. I am sure that this may have carried on in the German army as well.
Just a thought.

#29 squirrel

squirrel

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,413 posts
  • Interests:World War 1 - 18th Londons, 141 Brigade, 47th Div.

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:06 PM

Grant, on looking at this thread again I have to agree with you.

#30 Old Contemptible

Old Contemptible

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:00 PM

Hmmm... the more I look at it, the more I see a Light Infantry cap badge (or collar dog) with an Australian badge directly above it, but maybe that's just me thinking too 'creatively'.

Either way, I guess we'll never know.

Attached File  australian.jpg   2.38KB   5 downloads Attached File  german.jpg   2.26KB   5 downloads

Paul

#31 Gunboat

Gunboat

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (Old Contemptible @ Jan 20 2006, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm... the more I look at it, the more I see a Light Infantry cap badge (or collar dog) with an Australian badge directly above it, but maybe that's just me thinking too 'creatively'.

Either way, I guess we'll never know.

Attached File  australian.jpg   2.38KB   5 downloads Attached File  german.jpg   2.26KB   5 downloads

Paul

I agree I am sure it is those two badges and the partilally obscured is a harp (although I concede they could be collar dogs)

#32 john in minnesota

john in minnesota

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:WW1 CEF uniforms, gear, weapons. Also WW1 Australian

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (grantsmil @ Jan 20 2006, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone considered that these are not British, Commonwealth or allies badges?
Nothing looks like an Australian badge in the photo that I can see.
The German's allies, the Austrians, had a habit of adorning their hats and caps with small badges, pins and other souvenirs. I am sure that this may have carried on in the German army as well.
Just a thought.

The cockade on the front of his cap measures just under 1" - an Aussie collar is about 1 3/4" wide, so not likely Australian. I'm with Grant on this one: this is much more likely a German patriotic badge. The Germans as well as Austrians have a long tradition of wearing commemorative trinkets on their hats - like the Edelweiss for Alpine troops.

#33 grantsmil

grantsmil

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 485 posts
  • Interests:Military uniforms and equipment; Australian and European

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:55 PM

The attached images is from the book 'The Emperorís Coat - In the First World War - Uniforms and Equipment of the Austro-Hungarian Army from 1914 to 1918', editor: Stefan Rest. A quick flick through this book will reveal numerous caps with various patriotic badges attached. On page 107 there is an image of a field grey cap for officers (1916 model), on the sides of this cap are a number of small badges. This image of one of the badges appears to have the same dimensions and is a similar shape to the one seen worn on the German cap. I hope this helps.

Attached Files

#34 Ralph J. Whitehead

Ralph J. Whitehead

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:36 AM

I think we have a winner here, looks the same to me down to the shield symbols on the lower edge. I checked the movements of the 10th Bav. IR and RIR in the hopes of finding that one or the other served in the east or Italy but both regiments served on the western front.

It would seem he has some friends or family in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. It is quite possible he is Austrian as many served in the Bavarian forces during the war. Thanks for displaying the badge Grant.

Ralph

#35 Old Contemptible

Old Contemptible

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:57 PM

Certainly does it for me - well done Grant. Was fun playing detective while it lasted!

Paul