Footballers died

261 replies to this topic

#251 IM75

IM75

Corporal

• Members2
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

as for the website IM75 i found it by chance on Twitter yesterday I have followed you (dannyboy1807) 

had a little look last night and it was very good, load of us Palace fans are trying to find out ourselves a definite list of players who played for or were playing for Palace who served in the war.

Yes it's going well so far - although we only have player profiles for Villa up to now. It's a case of getting all those who we can find that are reported to have served and are recorded on club records for the 1914/15 season, then cross-referencing them with war records in the near future. Some of the info from clubs has been sketchy to say the least!

The good thing is that there is no time limit and info can be easily amended as we go along. I'm sure we'll get there eventually!

We've got four Palace players so far, that have been temporarily linked to the Holmesdale bio, but I know there's many to add. If you've got any extra info, get in touch anytime!

Thanks

Iain

#252 Ghazala

Ghazala

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:The Somme
    T E Lawrence and Gertrude Bell
    The Great War in general

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

Matt Dickinson writing in The Times today....
According to the FA, a recent visit by Greg Dyke to First World War graves in northern France was just the kick-off for footballs act of remembrance over the next four years. The Football League and the PFA also made the pilgrimage, while the Premier League is in the process of building a floodlit pitch at Ypres in Belgium.
One hundred years after the start of the Great War, we will hear plenty about what the game did for the war effort and those footballers who made the ultimate sacrifice.
It is right and proper that the game reflects but, for balance, we also need to recall how football failed in 1914 in a way that caused much agonising at the time, wounding itself in a way that has consequences to this day.
Dyke, the FA chairman, can be thankful that he will never have to make a decision of the magnitude that faced his predecessors 100 years ago when war broke out in late July 1914. There was an immediate need to mobilise hundreds of thousands of volunteers.
To continue with the looming football season or not? The games went ahead but the sight of fit footballers chasing a ball while thousands of their countrymen were signing up for King and country soon began to provoke dismay.
Field Marshal Lord Roberts of Kandahar addressed a New Army battalion: I respect and honour you more than I can say. How different is your action to that of the men who can still go on with their cricket and football, as if the very existence of our nation were not at stake.
The anger was not just felt among military ranks. Thomas Fry, the Dean of Lincoln, began an outspoken campaign against the game and the spectators turning up in their thousands: Onlookers who, while so many of their fellow men are giving themselves in their countrys peril, still go gazing at football.
George V, as patron of the FA, was lobbied to intervene to stop the matches but the Kings private secretary replied that contractual obligations to the players had to be fulfilled. It was not just sport but business. The FA sought to duck the escalating controversy by asking the War Office to make a ruling. The hot potato was passed straight back to the governing body.
Crickets season finished and, in August, leading rugby clubs announced that they were scrapping all fixtures because they simply did not have enough players. In early September 1914, the RFU formally cancelled all club, county, and international matches.
Yet the Football Leagues hierarchy voted that the show must go on. The FA announced that it would contribute £1,000 to the war fund but had no intention of stopping the FA Cup or the top two divisions.
As more volunteers signed up, a prominent cartoon in October 1914 featured an unapologetic professional footballer being told by Mr Punch, No doubt you can make money in this field, my friend, but theres only one field today where you can get honour.
The FA went on the defensive. Charles Clegg, the chairman, argued that the game was being singled out unfairly. The FA insisted that it was behind the war effort, distributing recruitment posters. Yet attempts to enlist at matches drew dismal numbers, casting the sport in an even worse light.
The Times carried a story One recruit at Arsenal match and noted that this failure contrasts strongly with the wholesale volunteering which has distinguished the performers and devotees of other forms of sport. Rugby union clubs, cricket elevens and rowing clubs throughout the kingdom have poured men into the ranks. This paper became a strident opponent of footballs continuation.
Eventually, the game did respond through the formation of the Footballers Battalion, the 17th Middlesex, in December 1914 at Fulham Town Hall. Frank Buckley, the Derby County and England centre half, was its first member. It quickly grew in numbers, mostly with supporters and amateurs, but also professionals.
Their sacrifice was duly recognised by Dyke but the FA should not draw a veil over the wider controversy that lasted a whole season until the FA Cup Final in 1915, the so-called Khaki Cup final because of the large number of uniformed soldiers present. The Earl of Derby presented the trophy to Sheffield United and then declared everyones duty to now play a sterner game for England. Games were over until 1919.
It is easy to think this was a problem of the time, but the damage was lasting. Football had been the main sport within public schools but the war marked a significant shift in the sporting geography. Dozens of boys schools abandoned football, turning to the oval ball, in the belief that rugby had proven itself a sport that brought up the right sort of chaps, noble defenders of imperial ideals. By 1929, the number of public and grammar schools affiliated to the RFU had more than quadrupled to 133, up from 27 a decade earlier. It was a powerful trend, still felt today.
I went to one of those schools that did not play football and still feel resentful about it. I recall my countless, failed attempts to argue that it was absurd that an English school did not play the national game.
I was no loss to football, but it is fair to wonder how many top players have been missed because of the class polarisation between rugby and football that deepened after the war, especially at independent schools.
Only when there are England players with educated accents might the national team maximise its potential, Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski wrote in their book, Why England Lose.
Dyke can chew on that 100-year-old problem left by his FA predecessors as he leads the commemorations.

Attached Files

#253 deacs

deacs

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:border Regiment.
    Researching Cockermouth War Memorial, Cockermouth Cemetery

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

I apologise if this is not what you are wanting but i found this from the "West Cumberland Times" from January 9th 1915.

Attached File  Footballers.jpg   120.66KB   0 downloads

#254 IM75

IM75

Corporal

• Members2
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:48 PM

Hi

I just thought I'd let you know that we have a Roll of Honour of footballers killed up on the website now here.

It's an ongoing project, so names and details will be added when they come to light, however, we already have a fairly substantial list of names from English and Scottish football. There is also another list that we are yet to confirm full details of - for inclusion, a date of death, unit and burial/commemoration place is needed. 

The list is correct to the very best of our knowledge, however if you notice an anomalies or have details of players not yet included, please let us know and the roll will be updated accordingly.

Thanks

IM

#255 Jonathan Saunders

Jonathan Saunders

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

I just thought I'd let you know that we have a Roll of Honour of footballers killed up on the website now here.

Will definitely take a look.

Regards,

Jonathan S

#256 CROONAERT

CROONAERT

Lieut-General

• Old Sweat
  • 10,419 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:39 AM

Hi

It's an ongoing project, so names and details will be added when they come to light, however, we already have a fairly substantial list of names from English and Scottish football. There is also another list that we are yet to confirm full details of - for inclusion, a date of death, unit and burial/commemoration place is needed. 

The list is correct to the very best of our knowledge, however if you notice an anomalies or have details of players not yet included, please let us know and the roll will be updated accordingly.

Thanks

IM

Is it just British footballers that you are looking for details of? (Just asking because I've recently been working on something about the early days of football in Germany and, as an aside, done quite a bit of research on members of die Nationalmannschaft who were killed in the Great War which may be of interest? (Decided on the national team as some of the individual clubs' losses were horrendous in the two world wars and could get too complex ...to give just one (of the more extreme) examples -  some 43 players and staff from Berliner Fußball-Club Germania 1888 died during 1914-18.

Dave

#257 Jonathan Saunders

Jonathan Saunders

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

Is it just British footballers that you are looking for details of? (Just asking because I've recently been working on something about the early days of football in Germany and, as an aside, done quite a bit of research on members of die Nationalmannschaft who were killed in the Great War which may be of interest? (Decided on the national team as some of the individual clubs' losses were horrendous in the two world wars and could get too complex ...to give just one (of the more extreme) examples -  some 43 players and staff from Berliner Fußball-Club Germania 1888 died during 1914-18.

Dave

Sounds interesting to me!

What are your intentions for all this hard work?  Do you intend to list/display your findings in some way?

#258 Fattyowls

Fattyowls

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,324 posts
  • Interests:Driver Sydney Alexander Smith, RFA No. 695622 and sportsmen of WW1, particularly the players of Everton FC, champions of England in 1914-15, CD Everton of Vina del Mar in Chile and Everton FC of Auckland, New Zealand.

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:03 AM

Dave

Dave, I would be extremely interested in anything you have.

Pete.

#259 IM75

IM75

Corporal

• Members2
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

Dave

Hi Dave

The plan is to get a section on German football (and hopefully French) up on the site in the near future, so any help would be fantastic. It is an area I'd also love to find out more about but I don't speak German (and being a Manc living on Merseyside, my neighbours would probably say I struggle to speak English...)

#260 The Scorer

The Scorer

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

Hi

Thanks

IM

I have one addition for you, as follows:

Name:                Robert Henry ("Bob") Hammett
Club:                  Newport County AFC
Date of Death:   25th September 1916
Regiment:          16th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment
Cemetery:          Newport (Christchurch) Cemetery, Newport; Ref X.753

The information has been sent to you via your web site, but if you have any questions, please let me know.

#261 CROONAERT

CROONAERT

Lieut-General

• Old Sweat
  • 10,419 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:25 PM

Hi Dave

The plan is to get a section on German football (and hopefully French) up on the site in the near future, so any help would be fantastic....

Get in touch with me at some point over the next few months when I'll probably have more detail (so far I've got details on (I believe) all the international players of the 1908-1914 period who died in the Great War - names, player stats, dates and places of birth, home towns, dates of death, place of burial (when possible) and regimental detail etc. I still need to go into a little more detail on their actual service prior to their deaths and also their lives outside of football before I'm happy with what I've got. I also intend to take a look at those who represented a 'German selection' prior to the formation of the official national team and see if any more names crop up.

Dave.

#262 CROONAERT

CROONAERT

Lieut-General

• Old Sweat
  • 10,419 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:30 PM

What are your intentions for all this hard work?  Do you intend to list/display your findings in some way?

No intentions and no idea really! 

The original research was totally non-war related and the details on the war casualties just an interesting little side-line that got more interesting (and bigger!) the deeper it got. I'll probably get in touch with the DFB when I'm happy with it before making a decision on what to do with it.

Dave