Footballers died

284 replies to this topic

#276 Hedley Malloch

Hedley Malloch

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:34 AM

Well, where has this Death Plaque come from? Perhaps it belongs to the other EP in the CWGC database and the two men have been confused? But in that case, how was the Death Plaque matched with the accompanying Everton memorabilia?

I was kicking myself for not buying - but now ... .

I am decorating the top floor of the house. I would like to go to go to Erquingham tomorrow, but all depends on how rapidly the Dulux flows from tin to ceiling.

So EP played for all three Merseyside clubs? He was not alone. But can you name who played for all three in the same week? For Liverpool on the Saturday, Tranmere on the Wednesday evening, and Everton the following Saturday. We are not talking about wartime matches.

#277 helpjpl

helpjpl

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:15 PM

I've found some records, and a family tree, for Ernest Pinkney on 'ancestry'.

1. 1891 Scotland Census:  Age 3. Born Glasgow. Living at 138 Aitkenhead Rd, Glasgow Govan, with father Thomas, mother Mary Ann and brother William - 3 mths.

2. 1901 England Census:  Age 13. Born Glasgow. Living at 28 Garibaldi St, West Hartlepool, with father Thomas, mother Mary Ann and brother Leonard - 8.

3. 1911 England & Wales Census:  Age abt 22. Born Glasgow. Occupation: Professional Footballer - Everton FC. Boarding at 37 Diana St, Walton, with fellow Everton players William Joseph Lacey and Edward Magner.

4. England & Wales BMD Marriage Index:  Jul-Sept 1913, West Derby, Lancs. Spouse: Maude A Fairbrother.

5. British Army WW1 Medal Rolls Index Card:  Cpl, Royal Engineers. 201725, WR/260437

6. England & Wales Death Index:  Birth Date 23/11/1887. Date of Registration June 1975. Age at death 87. Registration district Liverpool.

JP

#278 Les Robertson

Les Robertson

Private

• Members2
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:46 PM

Hi everyone, first time on the forum.
Was out with the metal detector at the weekend at a local public footpath through some trees, the path links an old pill box and a water mill.

First find was a Wood Green Football League 1906/07 players medal initials D G C.
Not more than 2 feet away was a Northumberland Fusiliers shoulder title.

Probably not connected but maybe, just maybe.

Footpath is in Smallburgh and I have found an Army Service Corps cap badge and a Mother of Pearl Sweatheart broche which was 18 inch away from footy
medal.

Not sure if this is of any interest to anyone but thought I would share it anyway.

King Regards
Les.

#279 Ajaxer

Ajaxer

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Cricketers and Wisden

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:26 PM

Can anyone please help me with information about the cause of death of SGT THOMAS CHARLESWORTH ALLSOPP (Royal West Surrey Regt att Labour Corps) who died at Norwich on March 7, 1919, aged 38.

He was a fine all-round sportsman who played cricket for Leicestershire (he was born in Leicester) and Norfolk, and football for Leicester Fosse, Luton Town, Brighton & Hove Albion and Norwich City.

I am guessing he may have been a flu victim but cannot find evidence short of getting a death cert.

#280 Fattyowls

Fattyowls

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,619 posts
  • Interests:Driver Sydney Alexander Smith, RFA No. 695622 and sportsmen of WW1, particularly the players of Everton FC, champions of England in 1914-15, CD Everton of Vina del Mar in Chile and Everton FC of Auckland, New Zealand.

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:35 AM

Well, where has this Death Plaque come from? Perhaps it belongs to the other EP in the CWGC database and the two men have been confused? But in that case, how was the Death Plaque matched with the accompanying Everton memorabilia?

I was kicking myself for not buying - but now ... .

I am decorating the top floor of the house. I would like to go to go to Erquingham tomorrow, but all depends on how rapidly the Dulux flows from tin to ceiling.

So EP played for all three Merseyside clubs? He was not alone. But can you name who played for all three in the same week? For Liverpool on the Saturday, Tranmere on the Wednesday evening, and Everton the following Saturday. We are not talking about wartime matches.

Hedley

I don't know but I know some people who do and I'm trying to resist the temptation of asking them. Just to follow up on the theme of Erquinghem-Lys and Wilf Toman; Robert Elstone, Everton's chief exec led a distinguished deputation from the club out to Erquinghem-Lys for a short service and the laying of flowers. Harry Ross did a nice dedication as usual. As I have a bit of a soft spot for Wilf I was absolutely thrilled.

Pete.

P.S. I hope the painting went well.

#281 Hedley Malloch

Hedley Malloch

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:59 PM

You don't know? Call yourself a football fan? Why it was the City of Liverpool Police Band.

You have to be over 65 to understand that, let alone think it might be funny. Sorry.

EP's Death Plaque: I think someone has bought a pup.

Painting: it seems as if I live on the Forth Bridge.

#282 Fattyowls

Fattyowls

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,619 posts
  • Interests:Driver Sydney Alexander Smith, RFA No. 695622 and sportsmen of WW1, particularly the players of Everton FC, champions of England in 1914-15, CD Everton of Vina del Mar in Chile and Everton FC of Auckland, New Zealand.

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:03 PM

You don't know? Call yourself a football fan? Why it was the City of Liverpool Police Band.

You have to be over 65 to understand that, let alone think it might be funny. Sorry.

EP's Death Plaque: I think someone has bought a pup.

Painting: it seems as if I live on the Forth Bridge.

Hedley

1. Doh! But I did chuckle.

2. You are so right, luckily it wasn't you.

3. We've all been there (never ending painting as opposed to the Forth Bridge, although I have been there).

Later dude,

Pete.

#283 wandererpaul

wandererpaul

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:09 PM

Any help with finding out more details of this footballer, I'd appreciate it, thanks.

**** George Kennedy ****

Born - Dumfries - 1885 (not 100%)

Played for; Lincoln City (1906-1908) Chelsea (1908-1910) Brentford (1910-1913) after Brentford?

1911 Census - George Kennedy - boarder - 33 Adelaide Road Brentford (Plasterer?!)

Where did he go after living here? Where was he in 1901? Did he marry? Children?

Died - alledgedly - December 1917. No specific date known or where exactly.

Is there anyone who could help pin down his army service records & his football career please?

"Ancestry" and "findmypast" haven't really helped, as there are a few people, with this name, that this person could be. One is close but not 100% sure it is the right man.

Nothing on websites, just the vague details given above.

Thanks.

#284 helpjpl

helpjpl

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:19 AM

Can anyone please help me with information about the cause of death of SGT THOMAS CHARLESWORTH ALLSOPP (Royal West Surrey Regt att Labour Corps) who died at Norwich on March 7, 1919, aged 38.

He was a fine all-round sportsman who played cricket for Leicestershire (he was born in Leicester) and Norfolk, and football for Leicester Fosse, Luton Town, Brighton & Hove Albion and Norwich City.

I am guessing he may have been a flu victim but cannot find evidence short of getting a death cert.

ancestry.co.uk has a private family tree for Thomas Charlesworth Allsopp which contains an obituary and another item titled 'Professional Cricketer'. If you have access to 'ancestry' you can contact the owner of the tree.

Alternatively, you may be able to find his obituary in  the newspaper archive of 'findmypast'.

JP

#285 wandererpaul

wandererpaul

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:45 PM

Any help with finding out more details of this footballer, I'd appreciate it, thanks.

**** George Kennedy ****

Born - Dumfries - 1885 (not 100%)

Played for; Lincoln City (1906-1908) Chelsea (1908-1910) Brentford (1910-1913) after Brentford?

1911 Census - George Kennedy - boarder - 33 Adelaide Road Brentford (Plasterer?!)

Where did he go after living here? Where was he in 1901? Did he marry? Children?

Died - alledgedly - December 1917. No specific date known or where exactly.

Is there anyone who could help pin down his army service records & his football career please?

"Ancestry" and "findmypast" haven't really helped, as there are a few people, with this name, that this person could be. One is close but not 100% sure it is the right man.

Nothing on websites, just the vague details given above.

Thanks.

I believe I have now found the person I was looking for. It nearly all ties in with what I've researched, taken all of Sunday trawlling the 'net and the archives.

Fascinating to read a Battalion diary online too.

I now believe he is Brentford FC's most decorated soldier.

George William Kennedy DCM, MM, MID. No.418239

Born 12th March 1882. Died 16th November 1917. Passchendaele.

Emigrated to Canada, from Scotland, in June 1914.

Joined the Canadian Infantry, 42nd Battalion (Royal Highlanders) Quebec Regiment.

Buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery.

Football Career

Lincon CIty FC 1906-1908

Chelsea FC 1908-1910

Brentford FC 1910-1913

Dumfries FC 1913-14

Unmarried.