#1 cennydd

cennydd

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:36 PM

Dear Members,

Can any one help me?

On 10 April 1918, this ship was attacked and fought off a German submarine. The Captain, H A Yardley, was awarded the DSO and my grandfather (Edward Jones) given a gold medal by the passengers which I have.

My Grandfather wouldn't speak about himself so I have never been able to find out about him. What I'd like to know is whether anyone else was given Gold medals for this action and whether there is any citation with Captain Yarley's medal.

Thanks

Cennydd

#2 Allan West

Allan West

Private

• Members2
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (cennydd @ Apr 30 2006, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear Members,

Can any one help me?

On 10 April 1918, this ship was attacked and fought off a German submarine. The Captain, H A Yardley, was awarded the DSO and my grandfather (Edward Jones) given a gold medal by the passengers which I have.

My Grandfather wouldn't speak about himself so I have never been able to find out about him. What I'd like to know is whether anyone else was given Gold medals for this action and whether there is any citation with Captain Yarley's medal.

Thanks

Cennydd

Dear Cennyd
If you look at P5 of this bulletin you'll see some other postings re Burutu. Were either your grandfather or Captain Yardley by any chance Canadians? My Grandfather Jacob Bussey was in the Newfoundland Royal Naval Reserve and went down with Burutu in September 1918.
Allan West

#3 cennydd

cennydd

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:29 PM

Hi,
No, my Grandfather was Welsh, from Holyhead.
Regards
Cennydd

#4 historydavid

historydavid

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:08 PM

Cennydd, not the answers you are looking for, but you might find this interesting

On10th April 1918 the SS Burutu SS (defensively armed), 3,902 grt, was damaged by German U-boat, U 154. The U-boat was fought off by gunfire 14 miles SSW from Cape Mesurado, Monrovia area. 2 members of the Burutu's crew were killed.

Best wishes
David

#5 cennydd

cennydd

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE (historydavid @ May 1 2006, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cennydd, not the answers you are looking for, but you might find this interesting

On10th April 1918 the SS Burutu SS (defensively armed), 3,902 grt, was damaged by German U-boat, U 154. The U-boat was fought off by gunfire 14 miles SSW from Cape Mesurado, Monrovia area. 2 members of the Burutu's crew were killed.

Best wishes
David

#6 cennydd

cennydd

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:51 AM

Dear David,

THanks for that, it all helps!

Regards

Cennydd

#7 spithead

spithead

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 586 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (cennydd @ Apr 30 2006, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear Members,

Can any one help me?

Thanks

Cennydd

Hi Cennydd

Are you sure the Captain was awarded a DSO, only 'Naval Honours and Awards' by Hayward give
it as a DSC. 'Henry A.Yardley, LG 21st June 18, Captain Merchant Navy'.

I've tried to confirm either in the LG but have had no luck, perhaps someone with more expertise
could oblige.

I presume the gold medal is a private issue, would be interesting if you could give us more details.

Regards
John

#8 cennydd

cennydd

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (spithead @ May 1 2006, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Cennydd

Are you sure the Captain was awarded a DSO, only 'Naval Honours and Awards' by Hayward give
it as a DSC. 'Henry A.Yardley, LG 21st June 18, Captain Merchant Navy'.

I've tried to confirm either in the LG but have had no luck, perhaps someone with more expertise
could oblige.

I presume the gold medal is a private issue, would be interesting if you could give us more details.

Regards
John

#9 cennydd

cennydd

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:02 PM

Hi,

I got my information from The Elder Dempster Fleet History, 1852 - 1985. In this it describes Captain Yardley as being awarded the Distinguished Sevice Order. It could have got it wrong.

Yes, the gold medal would be private as it was awarded by the passengers. It states:

Presented to Mr EDWARD JONES by the passengers of the RMS BURUTU during an
engagement with an enemy submarine

On the reverse it states

Monrovia
April 10th 1918

Regards

Cennydd