Drill Hall Barrack Road, Newcastle upon Tyne1st Northumbrian Bde, R.F.A.(T.F.);-
H.Q. 1st & 2nd Northumberland Bty's 1st Northumbrian Ammunition Column
Current Status : Converted to Appartments
The drill hall Barrack Road Newcastle was the Headquarters of the 1st Northumbrian Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, Territorial Force. It housed the 1st and 2nd Northumberland Batteries and the Brigade Ammunition Column. Barrack Road refers to the Infantry and Artillery Barracks to the North West of the drill hall. The first reference to the Drill Hall on Barrack Road was found in Ward's Directory for 1891-92.
The 3rd Northumberland Battery was based in Dunn Street, Elswick
The drill hall is opposite St James Park, home of Newcastle United. When the 1st Northumbrian Brigade was mobilised in 1914, the drill hall and St James Park were used for accommodation.
Subsequently the drill hall was used as headquarters for 72 (Northumbrian) Regiment RA (TA) , together with 2 gun batteries and 272 (Northumbrian) Regiment RA (TA), again with 2 gun batteries. In 1967 it became Regimental HQ and HQ Battery, 101 (Northumbrian) Regiment RA (V), until 1981 when it was sold for conversion into apartments.
Barrack Road Drill Hall 1960's
Ordnance Survey 1896
Barrack Road Drill Hall todayhttp://www.flasheart...7.4&r=0&src=msl