Photo

Military Cemeteries in India

9 replies to this topic

#1 IanA

IanA

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,847 posts
  • Interests:Music, wildlife, local history and, of course, military history.

Posted 27 May 2006 - 01:30 PM

I hope I'll be forgiven for being just a wee bit 'previous' ph34r.gif

A relative of mine died in India in the nineteenth century while on military service and was buried at Jubbulpore. I wonder if anyone can tell me whether such a cemetery might still exist and, if so, is it cared for? I have the impression that the CWGC only deal with WW1 and after.

Hopefully,

Ian

#2 Drummy

Drummy

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 506 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 04:39 PM

Take a look at these links they may be of help. Obviously all WW1 & WW2 British servicemen are permanently commemorated by name at least; likewise the MOD has created a database listing all British service personnel who have died in service since 1948 to date. Boer war graves 1899-1902 are also coming under CWGC care. Sadly though there is no central database of any British service personnel who died in service pre 1914 or between 1922 to 1939. Many of their graves are cared for as NWG by MOD/CWGC but many are simply now 'fading away' or long since destroyed. This is particularly so throughout what was undivided India. Most Military/European cemeteries have fallen into decay since the Raj ended in 1947. Many of those who died within CWGC dates are the same, at least a 1,000 known war graves were also 'written off' as un-maintainable.

http://members.ozema...day/cemrecs.htm

http://members.ozema.../~clday/cem.htm

http://www.indian-cemeteries.org/

#3 IanA

IanA

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 03:05 PM

Thanks Drummy, the sites were interesting but not helpful to my particular search. It is heartening though, to see that so much is being done to record these crumbling monuments and preserve the inscriptions for posterity. I am grateful to you for putting this my way.

Many thanks,

Ian

#4 Terry_Reeves

Terry_Reeves

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 03:43 PM

Ian

This site may be of interest. Try e-mailing them at the address given at at the bottom of the page.

http://www.jabalpur.nic.in/

Terry Reeves

#5 Paul Nixon

Paul Nixon

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,333 posts
  • Interests:Army Service Numbers 1881-1918; the community of Chailey, Sussex during the First World War.

Posted 29 May 2006 - 05:24 PM

The short answer is that it might still exist. There was a reasonably large cantonment at Jabalpur and there are possibly still cemeteries containing the graves of British servicemen who died during the nineteenth century.

I'm too far away from the place to offer a search and my movements tend to be very limited to Bangalore and the immediate surrounding area. In my experience of Bangalore cemeteries however, graves do still exist from both WW1 and before. Tracking him down though may not be easy. If you know his faith (or indeed whether he was a non-conformist) you could try by narrowing down the protestant / catholic / non-conformist cemeteries in the Jabalpur cantonment area as a first step.

#6 healdav

healdav

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,689 posts
  • Interests:Luxembourg history, walking, battlefield guiding

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:49 AM

If you search around there is a lady who has a full time (self employed) job listing all British - not just war - graves in India and Pakistan!

I met her once some years ago and all I remember is that her name is Susan.

She has voluminous lists and research and should be able to tell you.

Apparently there is enormous interest in this; hence she is able to make a living from it.

#7 IanA

IanA

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:52 AM

I would like to thank everyone for their kind interest in my query and I will follow up leads.

Terry - I have visited the site you mentioned and posted a message. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Ian

#8 lionboxer

lionboxer

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 617 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:49 AM

The Indian Ordnance Corps have their HQ at Jabalpur where the Corps war memorial is as well after it was moved from Kanglatongbi. It's possible that there are still other monuments and possibly cemeteries too within the cantonment.
Lionboxer

#9 Deleted_lone piper_*

Deleted_lone piper_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:32 PM

Hi Ian,

I was in Bangalore (India) in Feb.2006. ( Things can get a bit confusing as I found in 2001 when I visited ALL KNOWN war cemeteries in India.) In February I was seeking out 170+ Commonwealth men who were 'lost' in Bangalore. I had visited a memorial in Madras and noted many commemorated there were still buried in lost graves in Hosur Road Cemetery, Bangalore.

In my time there I was able to gain the support of some interested people, including Admiral Dawson and Ronnie Johnson. They are now trying to locate the missing graves.

If you look up Bangalorewalla on Google or Bill Jenkins in Banglalore you may find them interesting.

Bill Jenkins
The Lone |Piper
Liverpool

QUOTE (IanA @ May 27 2006, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope I'll be forgiven for being just a wee bit 'previous' ph34r.gif

A relative of mine died in India in the nineteenth century while on military service and was buried at Jubbulpore. I wonder if anyone can tell me whether such a cemetery might still exist and, if so, is it cared for? I have the impression that the CWGC only deal with WW1 and after.

Hopefully,

Ian

#10 IanA

IanA

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 02:37 PM

Hi Lionboxer and Lone Piper,

Many thanks for your interest and help. I will certainly follow up Bangalorewalla and will let you know if I have any luck.

Cheers,

Ian