Nina Baird - Red Cross ,Cairo

19 replies to this topic

#1 bill wright

bill wright

Corporal

• Members2
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:47 AM

I spotted "Baird Nina I" on the memorial at the entrance to the Royal Academy in London. All I have so far found out is her dates (20/3/1882 - 10/8/1919) and service with the "Red Cross at Cairo Citadel and among the Beduoin at Amira". Any advice on how to find out more would be welcome

#2 HERITAGE PLUS

HERITAGE PLUS

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,453 posts
  • Interests:British Military History in general but mainly the period 1837-1919.
    Irish Military History mainly 1798, 1916 and 1919-23.
    Military & Brass Bands - Music and Instruments

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:10 AM

Bill

Papers and Photographs relating to her work in Cairo and Amira are held in the Middle East Centre Archive at St.Antony's College, Oxford under reference GB165-0015. Her Middle name was Isobel.

Access by appointment only, Contact:

Miss Debbie Usher,
Archivist,
Middle East Centre Archive,
St. Antony’s College,
Oxford OX2 6JF
tel: 44 (0)1865 284706
fax: 44 (0)1865 274529
email: debbie.usher@sant.ox.ac.uk

Dave

#3 Jim Strawbridge

Jim Strawbridge

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:46 AM

Bill, I am preparing a Register of WW1 serving female casualties. The name of Nina Baird is not one that I have heard of before. She was probably serving as a civilian but should you find out any information I should be very pleased to know. Regards, Jim Strawbridge

#4 bill wright

bill wright

Corporal

• Members2
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (bill wright @ Jul 19 2006, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I spotted "Baird Nina I" on the memorial at the entrance to the Royal Academy in London. All I have so far found out is her dates (20/3/1882 - 10/8/1919) and service with the "Red Cross at Cairo Citadel and among the Beduoin at Amira". Any advice on how to find out more would be welcome

Thanks Dave I'll try and follow up. Jim, will keep you posted

#5 Myrtle

Myrtle

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:38 PM

Nina Baird was the daughter of Sir Alexander Baird and the Hon Annette Maria Palk. Nina was the 6th child of seven chidren and her mother died when Nina was 2 years old probably due to complications on the birth of her last child. Nina died at the age of 37 from typhoid fever. Her father died less than a year later.

Myrtle

#6 MGB

MGB

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Royal irish Regiment
    Units stationed in kilkenny Military Barracks 1800-1922
    5th Battalion Royal irish Fusiliers

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (Jim Strawbridge @ Jul 20 2006, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bill, I am preparing a Register of WW1 serving female casualties. The name of Nina Baird is not one that I have heard of before. She was probably serving as a civilian but should you find out any information I should be very pleased to know. Regards, Jim Strawbridge

Jim any mention of an elizabeth parker in your research ( Matron served and buried in iraq) from Castlecomer Ireland

#7 Tonym

Tonym

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 782 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (MGB @ Aug 30 2006, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jim any mention of an elizabeth parker in your research ( Matron served and buried in iraq) from Castlecomer Ireland

MGB

Name: PARKER, ELIZABETH KELLY
Initials: E K
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service
Date of Death: 16/10/1916
Service No: 2/P/193
Additional information: Daughter of Joseph Donaldson Parker, J.P., and Elizabeth Dobbs Parker, of Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 4.
Cemetery: ALEXANDRIA (HADRA) WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY

From CWGC Website

Tony

#8 Sue Light

Sue Light

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:28 PM

Elizabeth Kelly Parker was born 31st December 1878 [parents details as above]. Her father's occupation is given as 'gentleman farmer'; she was educated at Victoria College, Londonderry; nurse training was at Warneford Hospital, Leamington Spa from February 1901 to May 1904. She was appointed as a Staff Nurse to Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service on 2nd July 1907. She has a file at The National Archives [WO399/6450] which should provide more detail.

There is also another member of the Regular QAIMNS who I assume to be a younger sister. They show up when the database is sorted right next to each other, with striking similarities.

Letitia Anna Parker, born 6 April 1886. Father's occupation 'Farmer'; educated at the Ladies' Collegiate College, Londonderry, and nurse training at Warneford Hospital, Leamington Spa from October 1909 to October 1912. She was appointed as a Staff Nurse on 21 January 1913, and was invalided from the service [date unknown]. She also has a file at The National Archives [WO399/6455], so she had Great War service, and again, more detail will be contained there.

Sue

#9 Jim Strawbridge

Jim Strawbridge

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:46 PM

I think that Sue and Tony have said it all. I know that her name, as staff nurse Elsie Kelly Donaldson Park (?), appears on the memorial to Irish military nurse casualties in St. Anne’s Church of Ireland Cathedral, Belfast. If anyone can take a photograph of her name on the memorial, not least to confirm the mis-spelling, I should be grateful.

#10 markinbelfast

markinbelfast

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:00 PM

Her name doesnt appear on the church members memorial....I'll see if I can find the nurse memorial tomorrow.

#11 Siobhan

Siobhan

Corporal

• Members2
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 12:42 PM

Sue,
You are quite right. Letitia was indeed Elsie's sister and served in the regular QAIMNS from January 1913 to March 1916, when she went on prolonged sick leave, suffering from neurasthenia and weight loss. She was pensioned at £100 pa from 1/4/1917 to 29/7/1918.
Another sister, Emily Alice Mary Parker, was born on 5 Oct 1891 and educated at Carrickmacross College, unlike her 2 sisters who had attended the Ladies' Collegiate College in L'derry. Emily trained at the Royal Victoria Hosp, Belfast 26/1/15 – 12/3/18. She the joined the QAIMNS Reserve from 1/6/1918 to 4/2/1922, serving in Fermoy Military Hospital and the Curragh, Co Kildare. She had applied to join the regular QAIMNS in January 1919 but was turned down.
The family's address was Silvery Deen, Castlecomer, Co Kilkenny. Father's name - Joseph Donaldson Parker, mother - Elizabeth Kelly Dobbs.

Siobhan

#12 Sue Light

Sue Light

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:22 PM

Hallo Siobhan - what a nursey family! Let's hope MGB returns to collect such a wealth of information rolleyes.gif

Sue

#13 Michael Pegum

Michael Pegum

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 674 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:15 PM

I have just found Elizabeth Parker's name on the Great War Memorial in St. Canice's Cathedral, Kilkenny:

Parker.jpg

Full details may be seen at Great War Memorial, St. Canice's

Michael

#14 Jim Strawbridge

Jim Strawbridge

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (Michael Pegum @ Aug 25 2007, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have just found Elizabeth Parker's name on the Great War Memorial in St. Canice's Cathedral, Kilkenny:

Parker.jpg

Full details may be seen at Great War Memorial, St. Canice's

Michael

Well spotted. Michael. Her name, as staff nurse Elsie Kelly Donaldson Park, appears on the memorial to Irish military nurse casualties in St. Anne’s Church of Ireland Cathedral, Belfast. Her name, as Elsie Kelly Donaldson, is on the memorial tablet commemorating Irish nurses who gave their lives in the Great War and which is in the Arbour Hill Garrison Church, Dublin. Strange that they should get her name so badly wrong in both cases. I have yet to obtain photographs of either of these yet to confirm.

Another memorial where she is commemorated is that in the Royal Garrison Church, Aldershot.

#15 MGB

MGB

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Royal irish Regiment
    Units stationed in kilkenny Military Barracks 1800-1922
    5th Battalion Royal irish Fusiliers

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (Jim Strawbridge @ Aug 26 2007, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well spotted. Michael. Her name, as staff nurse Elsie Kelly Donaldson Park, appears on the memorial to Irish military nurse casualties in St. Anne’s Church of Ireland Cathedral, Belfast. Her name, as Elsie Kelly Donaldson, is on the memorial tablet commemorating Irish nurses who gave their lives in the Great War and which is in the Arbour Hill Garrison Church, Dublin. Strange that they should get her name so badly wrong in both cases. I have yet to obtain photographs of either of these yet to confirm.

Another memorial where she is commemorated is that in the Royal Garrison Church, Aldershot.

Thanks everyone for all the information sorry i was so late in replying thanks again for everything in relation to the memorial in St canices Kilkenny have visited it and found my own relation Leading stoker John Henry Brabant died december 1941 HMS Repulse

#16 MacDonald

MacDonald

Private

• Members2
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:12 PM

Nina Isobel Baird was a student at the Royal Academy from 1899-1904 . She was registered as living at 31 Stanhope Gardens .
She won !st prize in 1900 (for portrait head ?) & exhibited a portrait in 1904 , her final year . I, too , noted her name on the memorial - as far as I can tell the only female Artist to die in the War - & the information was kindly supplied by the RA Librarian.
Hope this helps you round out the picture .
J.M.MacDonald .

#17 Kirkes Lamb

Kirkes Lamb

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:Boer War to the present day military history.Photography, Travel, War Graves Research, Writing Military Book Reviews. The history of the Queen's Royal Regiment.

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:34 AM

Did Nina Baird die and was buried in Cairo?

I may have photographed her headstone if she did or might be able to on my next visit there.

#18 Jim Strawbridge

Jim Strawbridge

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (Kirkes Lamb @ May 18 2008, 04:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did Nina Baird die and was buried in Cairo?

I may have photographed her headstone if she did or might be able to on my next visit there.

I have some information including the Royal Academy thanks to Maggie Tyler. Yes, Nina Baird died in Rgypt but I have no idea where. If you are able to tell me and provide a photograph of her grave/headstone I would be over the moon.

#19 Kirkes Lamb

Kirkes Lamb

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:Boer War to the present day military history.Photography, Travel, War Graves Research, Writing Military Book Reviews. The history of the Queen's Royal Regiment.

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:39 AM

I will search my Egypt Cemetery photos and revert if successful.

#20 lizsjoerd

lizsjoerd

Private

• Members2
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (Jim Strawbridge @ Aug 26 2007, 11:00 AM) Well spotted. Michael. Her name, as staff nurse Elsie Kelly Donaldson Park, appears on the memorial to Irish military nurse casualties in St. Anne's Church of Ireland Cathedral, Belfast. Her name, as Elsie Kelly Donaldson, is on the memorial tablet commemorating Irish nurses who gave their lives in the Great War and which is in the Arbour Hill Garrison Church, Dublin. Strange that they should get her name so badly wrong in both cases. I have yet to obtain photographs of either of these yet to confirm.

Thanks everyone for all the information sorry i was so late in replying thanks again for everything in relation to the memorial in St canices Kilkenny have visited it and found my own relation Leading stoker John Henry Brabant died december 1941 HMS Repulse

HI MGB ........ I was interested to read you have found your relation John Henry Brabant because he is a relative of mine as well. Would it be possible for you to contact me on highkettle@gmail.com so I can explain further. I have been searching for a long time to get contact with someone from the family - particularly interested in Charles, William(Bill) and Chris Brabant who I believe were brothers of John.
regards

Liz Smith

Reply to this topic