Cap Badges - Devonshire Regiment

6 replies to this topic

#1 christopher

christopher

Corporal

• Members2
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:15 PM

Hi - recently I have read about the 1916 Bronze Economy Issue Cap Badge - specifically ones for the Devonshire Regiment. Does anyone know in what way these would have differed to earlier examples? Also would the regimental motto SEMPER FIDELIS still have been on them.
Does anyone perhaps have a picture they could show me?

Thanks
christopher

#2 HarryBettsMCDCM

HarryBettsMCDCM

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,071 posts
  • Interests:A Life Long{So Far} Interest,Collection & Research Of All Campaign,Gallantry & Service Medals;Particularly those Awarded to Men who served with the 1/1st Cambridgeshire Regiment TF;1908 ~ 1939 & Antecedents[3rdVB Suffolk R.]/1st & 2nd Bns TA[1939~46]Medals Trios & Groups To The 6th Service Battalion The Northamptonshire Regiment,& For Variety Unusual Groups to the Royal Regiment of Artillery & Army Service Corps{RASC}

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:35 PM

Identical,but all Brass{Gilding Metal}{NB Semper Fidelis worn on this example,but is there}

All Brass Economy Issue 1916~18

#3 HarryBettsMCDCM

HarryBettsMCDCM

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,071 posts
  • Interests:A Life Long{So Far} Interest,Collection & Research Of All Campaign,Gallantry & Service Medals;Particularly those Awarded to Men who served with the 1/1st Cambridgeshire Regiment TF;1908 ~ 1939 & Antecedents[3rdVB Suffolk R.]/1st & 2nd Bns TA[1939~46]Medals Trios & Groups To The 6th Service Battalion The Northamptonshire Regiment,& For Variety Unusual Groups to the Royal Regiment of Artillery & Army Service Corps{RASC}

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:54 PM

For comparison QVC Bi Metal Badge.1880~1901

#4 HarryBettsMCDCM

HarryBettsMCDCM

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,071 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:57 PM

K/C Bi Metal 1902~1952 wink.gif

#5 christopher

christopher

Corporal

• Members2
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:58 PM

Attached File  f1_1.jpg   35.53KB   6 downloadsThanks thats helped having the different types.
I just found this picture on good old ebay!
Colour looks different to me though?

Christopher

#6 7t2ndswinger

7t2ndswinger

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 417 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (christopher @ Aug 18 2006, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Attached File  f1_1.jpg   35.53KB   6 downloadsThanks thats helped having the different types.
I just found this picture on good old ebay!
Colour looks different to me though?

Christopher

Christopher

WW1 Economy badges are an absolute minefield when it comes to buying a genuine one. Being a single metal a lot of the manufacturing traits like sweatholes for example found on bi-metal ones are absent. For what it's worth I'd avoid any with lugs rather than a slider and I'd look for those which appear more yellow brass rather than gilding metal. I'd also like to see a crimp line at the top of the slider although some makers' badges don't always feature this. All genuine ones I have had appear like this and it's really only something you pick up with experience. Ebay is really not the place to buy them due to inconsistencies in photographic flash unless you really trust the seller.

Harry,

Your QVC one appers to have N/S lugs? Unusual.

Keith

#7 HarryBettsMCDCM

HarryBettsMCDCM

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,071 posts
  • Interests:A Life Long{So Far} Interest,Collection &amp; Research Of All Campaign,Gallantry &amp; Service Medals;Particularly those Awarded to Men who served with the 1/1st Cambridgeshire Regiment TF;1908 ~ 1939 &amp; Antecedents[3rdVB Suffolk R.]/1st &amp; 2nd Bns TA[1939~46]Medals Trios &amp; Groups To The 6th Service Battalion The Northamptonshire Regiment,&amp; For Variety Unusual Groups to the Royal Regiment of Artillery &amp; Army Service Corps{RASC}

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:35 PM

My Economy is unpolished & has a patina of many years hence its hue!,
The QVC has a repaired Slider made from a shoulder title split pin,hence its odd appearance.