5 replies to this topic

#1 StuMac

StuMac

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 06:47 AM

Hello again from Australia

I was hoping to find out some information on Wound Stripes issued to soldiers in the British Army during the First and Second World Wars please, I have not seen a great deal about these on the Internet. Does the British Army still issue them to wounded soldiers etc?

My father was awarded two in WW2, as he was shot and wounded in Italy and again in Germany. Please see the attached picture of the plaque I made for his medals etc, the stripes are on the lower left.

I am sure I read somewhere in WW1, wound stripes were metal badges?

Thankyou

Stuart

Attached Files

#2 CROONAERT

CROONAERT

Lieut-General

• Old Sweat
  • 10,421 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 02:04 AM

Stuart.

WW1 wound stripes can be encountered in both metal and cloth. Somewhere (not sure where) on this forum is a thread discussing these. In the meantime, below are a couple of examples of WW1 stripes along with the "backing plate" of one of them.

Dave.

Attached Files

#3 CROONAERT

CROONAERT

Lieut-General

• Old Sweat
  • 10,421 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 02:25 AM

During WW2, wound stripes had to be "claimed" from their CO.
For WW2, they were gold stripes and these could also be claimed for wounds or injuries sustained before enlistment in HM forces whilst serving in the Home Guard or other qualifying service.This usually required documentary evidence.
Red wound stripes could also be issued, but these were for wounds recieved in previous wars.

Qualification for a (gold) stripe required the recipient to have been wounded or injured by enemy action (including "friendly fire" incidents, so long as there was contact with the enemy), accidents or crashes due to enemy action, injuries sustained in a rescue operation(due to enemy action), injuries in mine/bomb clearance, injuries on operational sorties not due to enemy action (eg. a plane crash).

Those who didn't qualify are those injured by enemy action when not on duty and accidents/injurys not due to enemy action. SIW's didn't qualify either.

This is all from ACI 233, 16th Feb.1944. I have the full version (confusing!). If you'd like me to send it to you, let me know.

Dave.

#4 StuMac

StuMac

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 04:17 AM

G'day Dave

Many thanks for the information on the Wound Stripes, it has been a great help!

Cheers mate,

Stuart

#5 Neil Mackenzie

Neil Mackenzie

Brigadier-General

• Admin
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 07:10 PM

Stuart.

A number of previus threads have mentioned wound stripes, this is probably one of the most informative:-

(Wound Stripes)

Neil

#6 StuMac

StuMac

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 02:20 AM

G'day Neil

Thankyou for that, it was very good to read the info on the Wound Stripes!

Cheers
Stuart smile.gif