7 replies to this topic

#1 Petroc

Petroc

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 740 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:14 PM

Folks,

Today I stumbled across an online reference (don't tell my boss...I was meant to be working!) to a league football club ('soccer team' to our American cousins) in Argentina named after the erstwhile man himself...think they are called 'Club Atletico Douglas Haig'.

The reference makes it clear that the club were named after the Field Marshal, but not why or when. There are Spanish language websites out there that may elaborate, but unfortunately my grasp of the Iberian tongue is worse evan than my appalling command of French......could any of you enlighten further?

#2 wilkokcl

wilkokcl

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 692 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:18 PM

Club Atlético Douglas Haig are a football club from Pergamino in Buenos Aires Province, Argentina. They currently play in Torneo Argentino A, which is the regionalised third tier of the Argentine Football Association league system.

The club are named after the British World War I General Douglas Haig

Full name Club Atlético Douglas Haig
Nickname(s) Fogonegros Carasucias
Rojinegros or Milan de Pergamino
Founded November 11, 1918
Ground Estadio Miguel Morales, Pergamino
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Capacity 16,000
Chairman Juan Carlos Digilio
Manager Rubén Peréz
League Torneo Argentino A
Clausura 2006 4th, Group B
Reached playoff QF

From wikipedia - strange!

Mark

#3 wilkokcl

wilkokcl

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 692 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:21 PM

And if anyone can translate this from their website....

Quién fue Douglas Haig?

Conocido cómo el conde de Douglas Haig , este mariscal británico nació en el condado de Fife, Escocia, en el año 1861.

Su pasado militar lo recuerda sirviendo a las órdenes de Kitchener en África, distinguiéndose en la campaña del Sudán en 1898 y en la del Transvaal en 1899 (Guerra del Boer).

Tan exitosa fue su campaña militar que Douglas Haig fue destacado por el mas grande estadista del siglo.

De esta manera, un 18 de noviembre de 1918, luego del resonante triunfo de las fuerzas aliadas sobre Alemania en la Primera Guerra Mundial, un grupo de trabajadores del Ferrocarril Central Argentino (FCCA)- hoy Ferrocarril Mitre- decide formar un club para participar del campeonato local de fútbol. Para ello necesitaban el apoyo y consentimiento del jefe del ferrocarril, Ronald Leslie quien, como condición, pidió que el club llevase el nombre del general Douglas Haig

#4 spike10764

spike10764

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,518 posts
  • Interests:The Border Regiment in the Great War, especially the 11th Battalion, the Lonsdales.<br /> Really, just about all aspects of the Great War. Always keen to learn more....<br />My kids, the Lonsdales, Carlisle United F.C.

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:29 PM

Petroc...
Have you tried right clicking and selecting "Translate this page into English"(using google as search engine) on the webpages Club Atletico Douglas Haig ?
It is not perfect but gives a fair enough translation to piece together some of the "Red and Blacks" history and the reasoning behind their name.

#5 Terry_Reeves

Terry_Reeves

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,274 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:30 PM

Translated using Babelfish, so the syntax may seem a little strange:

"Who was Douglas Haig? Known how the count Douglas Haig, this British marshal was born in the county of Fife, Scotland, in 1861. Its military past remembers it serving to the orders of Kitchener in Africa, distinguishing itself in the campaign of Sudan in 1898 and the one of the Transvaal in 1899 (War of the Boer). So successful it was his military campaign that Douglas Haig was the outstanding by but great statesman of the century. This way, 18 of November of 1918, soon of the resonant triumph of the forces allied on Germany in World War I, a group of workers of Argentine Ferrocarril Central (FCCA) - today Mitre- Railroad decides to form a club to participate in the local championship of soccer. For it they needed the support and consent of the head of the railroad, Ronald Leslie who, like condition, requested that the club took the name of general Douglas Haig"

Terry Reeves

#6 Petroc

Petroc

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 740 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:40 PM

Thanks mates...
one noe wonders whether the aforementioned Mr Leslie was a fellow Scot or even a veteran of the Great War..as with any historical query, the plot always thickens (wonderfully!) and once again I am blown away by the knowledge, helpfulness and sheer enthusiasm that this forum generates!

(I'd look the guy up myself, but unfortunately am currently struggling with re-typing a thesis; bloody universities, they're so fussy!)

#7 gporta

gporta

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Huntingdonshire Cyclists, 4th Bedfordshires, 7th Northamptonshires, Conscription, Training reserve Battalions (Anyone know about the 87Th?), Great War cyclists (of all armies), 1917, 1918.

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:38 PM

The Babelfish translation misses and/or confuses some words with alternate meanings.

Here you have an alternate translation:
Who was Douglas Haig?
(usually) Known as Earl Haig, this British marsha was born in the shire (county?) of Fife, Scotland in 1861.

(Literally "he remembers his military past", but more likely: ) In his eary military career he served under the orders of Lord Kitchener in Sudan in 1898, and he also served in Transvaal in 1899, during the Boer war.

He was so successful in his military campaigns that he was singled out by the greatest statesman of the century (statesman not specified).

Thus, in November 18th, 1918, after the resounding success of the Allied forces over Germany, a group of workers of the Ferrocarril Central Argentino (FCCA)-Today Ferrocarril Mitre- decided to constitute a club in order to take part in a local football championship. In order to do so, they needed the support and consent (or permission) of the Railroad chief, Ronald Leslie who, as a condition, asked the club to bear the name of General Douglas Haig"

Gloria

#8 JGM

JGM

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:Military History<br />First World War<br />Second World War<br />History in general

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (gporta @ Oct 13 2006, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thus, in November 18th, 1918, after the resounding success of the Allied forces over Germany, a group of workers of the Ferrocarril Central Argentino (FCCA)-Today Ferrocarril Mitre- decided to constitute a club in order to take part in a local football championship. In order to do so, they needed the support and consent (or permission) of the Railroad chief, Ronald Leslie who, as a condition, asked the club to bear the name of General Douglas Haig"

Good for them! Very interesting.
Jon