#1 Simon R

Simon R

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,219 posts
  • Interests:Training camps in the North of England
    Terriers

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:18 AM

Douglas Haig no doubt had parents. But who were they?

DH had brothers and sisters - who and how many?
Specifically - was there a John Haig? And did said John Haig have a daughter Mary?

I cannot bear to wade through all the Haig threads to find this basic info. (if it's there at all) so feel free to help.

#2 Phil_B

Phil_B

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 10,050 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:57 AM

DH`s father was John Haig & his mother Rachel Veitch.
DH was the 11th child, of whom 8 survived into adulthood. Phil B

#3 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,114 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:16 PM

DH had brothers [there may have been others too] called John & George
see http://www.nls.uk/ex...ex-early-1.html

#4 Chris_Baker

Chris_Baker

General

• Old Sweat
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 06:52 PM

This gives you a reasonable start: http://www.1914-1918...igprologue.html

#5 Sue Light

Sue Light

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:23 PM

Simon

The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography gives the information [abridged] that:

Born at 24 Charlotte Square, Edinburgh, on 19th June 1861, the fifth son of John Haig (1802-1878) of Cameron Bridge, Fife, and his wife, Rachael Mackerras (d. 1879), daughter of Hugh Vietch of Stewartfield, Midlothian. Haig was the last of eleven children, nine of whom survived infancy.

If it's the actual family members that you're after, siblings etc., with such exact dates and addresses, all the children could be easily identified from the Scottish censuses available on:

Scotland's People

There is a minimum fee of 6, but there's no access in the same way as there is for England and Wales via Ancestry, so probably no 'free' lookups.

Sue

#6 Archer

Archer

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Son of a South Stafford - what greater privilege can there be?

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:49 PM

You might also enjoy this

History of Leith

#7 Jim Clay

Jim Clay

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:38 PM

Haig's daughter, Lady Alexandra Henrietta Louisa HAIG, born 9 March 1907, married Rear Admiral Clarence Dinsmore HOWARD-JOHNSTON on 10 June 1941; they divorced and she married Hugh Redwald TREVOR-ROPER in December 1954.

This info was put up in an O/T thread a month or two back, in response to a casual enquiry about Trevor-Roper.

Jim

#8 linge

linge

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 776 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:25 PM

I believe these were the nine surviving children of John and Rebecca Haig:

William Henry Haig b 1841
Mary Elisabeth Haig b 1843
Hugh Veitch Haig b 1845
Janet Stein Haig b b 1847
Rachel Alice Haig b 1849
Francis Henrietta Haig b 1851
John A Haig b 1857
George Ogilvy Haig b 1859
Douglas Haig b 1861

Hugh Veitch Haig's son Lieutenant Colonel John Haig, Westminster Dragoons attached to MGC won the DSO and was MID 3 times he served in France, Balkans, Egypt and Palestine. His other son Lieutenant Colonel Oliver Haig of the Westminster Dragoons attached to the Remount Service served in France.

Pam

#9 Archer

Archer

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:22 AM

Well there's one in the eye for the fanatics forumites who nurse a strong dislike for the late Field Marshal - his brother, at least, invented something useful which greatly comforted men in the trenches:

The blended Scotch with perhaps the most unusual package is Dimple. In 1893 George Ogilvy Haig conceived the idea of bottling Haig Scotch Whisky in a unique, 3-sided, pinched decanter with a hollow or dimple in each of its sides. Such was the eye-catching appeal of the bottle that the name Dimple was subsequently adopted for Haig's blend. The first bottle ever to be patented in the U.S., it eventually became the brand's legal trademark.

Scotch

#10 Phil_B

Phil_B

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 10,050 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:07 AM

I can imagine the train of thought. "I used to nurse a strong dislike for the Field Marshal, but now I know that his brother designed a bottle, well, all that`s changed!" dry.gif Phil B

#11 Phil_B

Phil_B

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 10,050 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:45 AM

Haig was descended from the 17th laird, James Haig, through his eldest surviving son, Robert. James almost ruined the estate and passed it on to his brother William and fled to Holland where he died in 1619. William (King`s Solicitor of Scotland) cut out Robert and passed the estate to his nephew David, 7th son of James Haig. David`s son, Anthony, made many improvements at Bemersyde. Meantime, Robert, who should have inherited, had learnt methods of distilling and started a whisky business. Four generations later, John Haig married Margaret Stein, daughter of Scotland`s leading whiskydistiller. John died at 53 and his widow apprenticed her 5 sons to become distillers at the Kilbagie and Kennetpans distilleries. One of these sons, William, was DH`s grandfather. William and his son John created a highly successful business in Fife and Haig became one of the world`s leading brands.

#12 Simon R

Simon R

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,219 posts
  • Interests:Training camps in the North of England
    Terriers

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:23 PM

It seems then that the man I am interested in, Lt. Col. Hugo De Pree (mentioned in TWTIK new as OC bde.), actually married DHs sister Mary Elisabeth. She must have been 27 years his senior though as he was b. 1870 (d.1943). I'll have to check this, though it's not impossible. Cameron Bridge, Fife is right though and means we're singing from the same hymn sheet at least.

Hugo was son of George Cecil De Pree, former surveyor general of India. Hugo is in 1937 Who's Who for those that require more.

#13 linge

linge

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 776 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:42 PM

Per Family Search George Charles de Pree married Mary Elizabeth Haig on 22nd Feb 1870. They had at least two sons:

Hugo Douglas de Pree born 25th Dec 1870 Brome, Suffolk
Cecil George de Pree born 1872

Both boys went to Eton and per the Eton War record:

de Pree, C.G., Major Fife and Forfar Yeomanry, empld, Lt Col Loyal N Lancashire Regiment., MID, France, Egypt, Gallipoli

de Pree, H.D., CB, CMG, DSO, Brig-Gen (RA), MID 4, France

From the Distinguished Service Order

De Pree, H. D.

(DSO LG 3.6.19) b 25.12. 70; s of Col G. C. De Pree and Mary d. of John Haig, of Fife; m Diones d. of F E Thornhill JP; 3 sons; 1 dau; educ. Eton, RMA, Woolwich; 2nd Lt RA, 25.7.90; Lt 25.7.93; Capt 3.2.00; Div Adjt. 11.4.00 to 18.4.01; Major 19.1.08; Lt Col 11.1.15 to 10.1.20; T/Brig-Gen 5.3.16 to 26.4.19; Bt. Col 1.1.17; T/Brig-Gen 2.12.19 to 21.12.20; Col 11.1.19; Col Comdt 1.1.21; served NW Frontier, India 1897-98 (Medal 2 clasps); British E Africa 1901 (Medal clasp); S. Africa, 1901-2 (Queens Medal 5 clasps); European War, 1914-18; Despatches 5 times; CB 1918; CMG 1916.

Pam

#14 Archer

Archer

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:14 PM

I can imagine the train of thought. "I used to nurse a strong dislike for the Field Marshal, but now I know that his brother designed a bottle, well, all that`s changed!"

It'll all become much clearer after ye've had a wee dram or two of Dimple Haig!! tongue.gif

As for Hugo ... The Times, Wednesday 31 March 1943

Attached Files

#15 Archer

Archer

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:35 PM

In fact ... while we're on the topic of deaths in the family, this may interest you, from The Times, Saturday, 4 February 1928:

I think I need another Dimple Haig to sort all this out. ohmy.gif

Attached Files

#16 Archer

Archer

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:21 PM

But it gets worse ... or better, I suppose, depending on your point of view:

See also Beechhill House

Attached Files

#17 Archer

Archer

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:07 AM

Oops! ph34r.gif

Silly me: The Times (Tuesday, 24 October 1944), p. 2.

#18 nemesis

nemesis

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Scottish Regiments. Any WW1 Medals to Scottish Regiments

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:50 PM

I believe these were the nine surviving children of John and Rebecca Haig:William Henry Haig b 1841 Mary Elisabeth Haig b 1843 Hugh Veitch Haig b 1845 Janet Stein Haig b b 1847 Rachel Alice Haig b 1849 Francis Henrietta Haig b 1851John A Haig b 1857George Ogilvy Haig b 1859Douglas Haig b 1861Hugh Veitch Haig's son Lieutenant Colonel John Haig, Westminster Dragoons attached to MGC won the DSO and was MID 3 times he served in France, Balkans, Egypt and Palestine. His other son Lieutenant Colonel Oliver Haig of the Westminster Dragoons attached to the Remount Service served in France.Pam

John Haig DSO is a research project of mine .As we have heard he was killed along with his Sister Mrs DuPree in 1944 in an accident with an aircraft crashing into a house. Anyone with a photo of him please contact me

#19 b3rn

b3rn

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Australian Army Nursing Service / hospitals on the Western Front / Lemnos

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:44 AM

Captain Richard William Manning Haig-Philp, Royal Field Artillery, is named on our local war memorial. A 1916 newspaper report describes him as a near relative of Sir Douglas Haig.

His parents were Richard Philp, M.A., LL.D., barrister-at-law, and Gertrude Philp née Manning.

• His mother Gertrude was the third daughter of Sir William Montagu Manning (son of John Edye Manning and Matilda Jorden, née Cooke) and Emily Anne Wise. 
  • His father Richard studied at Trinity College, Dublin.

Anyone know his connection to the Commander-in-Chief?

Edited with additional family information.

#20 skipman

skipman

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 11,170 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:00 AM

Might be some useful info from The Peerage

Ctrl & F enter Haig (about ⅓ of the way down)

Mike

#21 nemesis

nemesis

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Scottish Regiments. Any WW1 Medals to Scottish Regiments

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

Might be some useful info from The Peerage

Ctrl & F enter Haig (about ⅓ of the way down)

Mike

Thanks Mike ,will have a look
Max

#22 b3rn

b3rn

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Australian Army Nursing Service / hospitals on the Western Front / Lemnos

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

Thanks Mike. Beginning to think that 'near relative' may be stretching it a bit.

#23 JulesW

JulesW

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 705 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

Where on earth did I get the idea of a Haig family connection to Krupps ? Is it Blackadder, Python or maybe Veitch/Stein.

So long ago I don't remember and now not really motivated to look.

#24 skipman

skipman

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 11,170 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

Where on earth did I get the idea of a Haig family connection to Krupps ? Is it Blackadder, Python or maybe Veitch/Stein.

So long ago I don't remember and now not really motivated to look.

Haig, The Hague, The Hague Convention. Krupp trial???? wiki

Mike

#25 JulesW

JulesW

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 705 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

Don't think so Mike. Hazy recall of some connection with shareholdings. Seemed ironic at the time but to be honest it may have been satirical or mud slinging.

Pretty sure I read it. Not something I saw in a movie.