No. 1 Marine Observers' School

15 replies to this topic

#1 Harper

Harper

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:28 PM

Does any member have any information regarding a mid-air collision on or before 24 May 1919 at the No. 1 Marine Observers' School in Suffolk? My uncle Lt CVC Wright (ex-RNAS?) was killed in the collision and I'd appreciate any information. Google has not provided any details.
Thanks
Harper

#2 chrisharley9

chrisharley9

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,496 posts
  • Interests:Norfolk Regt, Cambridgeshire Regt, Western Front, Medical Staff of All Nationalities, Non Commemorated War Dead

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:56 AM

Having been looking at casualties in Suffolk for some time I can give you some of an answer

JACOBI, EDWARD WILLIAM SYDNEY
Initials: E W S
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force
Unit Text: No. 1 Marine Observers' School
Date of Death: 24/05/1919
Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Jacobi, of Blackheath, London; husband of Vera Lane Myers (formerly Jacobi), of 13, Castlenau Mansions, Barnes, London.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Cemetery: ALDEBURGH (SS. PETER AND PAUL) CHURCHYARD

Name: WRIGHT
Initials: C V C
Date of Death: 24/05/1919
Additional information: Husband of Laura E. Wright, of Cardiff.

WYATT, WILLIAM
Initials: W
Date of Death: 26/05/1919
Additional information: Husband of E. E. Wyatt, of 5, Old Homes, Thorpeness, Leiston, Suffolk.

Any way it answers a question that I have been trying to answer for a while

All The Best

Chris

#3 horatio2

horatio2

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:03 AM

Wyatt - flying Airco DH.6 C.6861 of No 1 Marine Operators School, Aldeburgh, collided in midair at 300 feet with aircraft of same type - C.7829 - flown by Wright and Jacobi. Wright and Wyatt died of injuries; Jacobi killed. Sgt LD Adcock, flying with Wyatt, was injured.

#4 Harper

Harper

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:48 PM

Chris and Horatio
Thank you for the details of the two other casualties from the No. 1 Marine Observers' School killed in the accident. According to family tradition, the officers had been celebrating a promotion in the mess and then gone for spin. The mid-air collision followed.
Do you know if there was an air accident inquiry following the collision? Any leads would be appreciated.
Thanks again
Harper

#5 Aneurin

Aneurin

Lieutenant

• Old Sweat
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:48 AM

What was your uncle's full name, Harper? Was he from Cardiff? There might be something in the local press.

#6 Harper

Harper

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (Aneurin @ Dec 16 2006, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What was your uncle's full name, Harper? Was he from Cardiff? There might be something in the local press.

His name was Cyril Victor Clarence Wright. His father was a surgeon in Leytonstone Essex.
I believe that his wife was from Cardiff, but as far I know, he never had a connection with Cardiff.
When time permits I plan to visit Suffolk to research the papers and look for a report on the inquest. Perhaps I should start with a death certificate.
Thanks
Harper

#7 per ardua per mare per terram

per ardua per mare per terram

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 9,610 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (Harper @ Dec 11 2006, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you know if there was an air accident inquiry following the collision?

This is possible too early for an air accident inquiry, but there would have been a coroners inquest, usually reported in the local paper. There may be a report or casualty card held at the RAF Museum. His RNAS file should be in ADM 273 and RAF service papers in AIR 76 at Kew.
QUOTE (Harper)
His name was Cyril Victor Clarence Wright. His father was a surgeon in Leytonstone Essex.

Have you traced his father through the Medical Directory and Medical Register?

#8 mickdavis

mickdavis

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 710 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:32 PM

The MOS at Aldeburgh was been wound down at the time. The 2 DH6 were to be flown to Hendon, presumably 2 AAP for storage. The 2 DH6 were on an air test, prior to their delivery (?) flight. The wing of Adock's a/c hit the tail of Wright's. Both a/c came down near Aldringham. Wright was still alive and was taken to Ranelagh Road Hospital in Iswich, where he died. He was buried at Aldeburgh church on 30 May. Apparently, it was one day before his first wedding anniversary.

#9 Harper

Harper

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:34 PM

Many thanks for the additional information. Now I have some leads for a visit to Kew - my wife can go to the botanic gardens!

We have some basic details about his father's medical career, but I'd like to track down some of hisarticles in the Lancet. Going back further will be a fun challenge as for a few generations the family had been surgeons to Maharajahs in India! Now that will be a trip!
Thanks again
Harper

#10 Michael Ball

Michael Ball

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE (Harper @ Dec 10 2006, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does any member have any information regarding a mid-air collision on or before 24 May 1919 at the No. 1 Marine Observers' School in Suffolk? My uncle Lt CVC Wright (ex-RNAS?) was killed in the collision and I'd appreciate any information. Google has not provided any details.
Thanks
Harper

I am looking for information about the death of Lieut. Reginald Keith Little who was in the Marine Observers School. He died Nov. 18, 1918. The death certificate indicates "Sheppey, Kent". He is remembered with honour in Leysdown (St. Clement) Churchyard but not with a specific grave marker.
Michael Ball
mdball@sympatico.ca

#11 Dolphin

Dolphin

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:19 AM

Michael

2Lt R K Little was flying as observer in BE 2c 9954 from No 1 Observers' School at Eastchurch, flown by Lt C E Wodehouse, when it was involved in a mid-air collision on 18 November 1918. Both airmen were killed.

I hope that this helps a little.

Gareth

#12 Seaplane

Seaplane

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:17 PM

I am new on this Forum & some features do not appear to work for me so please excuse any errors.

Just wanted to let anybody with an interest in the No 1 MARINE OBSERVERS SCHOOL at Aldeburgh know that Geoff Dewing wrote and self published a well researched guide to this Station:-

Dewing, Geoff. Air Station Aldeburgh 1915-1919; Geoff Dewing (East Molesey: Geoff Dewing, 1998). ISBN 0 9526416 2 3.

Although out of print copies are readily available to order off the Internet.

My father, William Redvers Forster (1900-75) was a flight cadet there in August 1918 before being commissioned and posted to Houton Bay Air Station in the Orkney Islands. In January 1919 he was posted back to Adeburgh as a member of staff. And he is one of the officers in the photograph of the staff in Geoff Dewing's booklet.

I would also like to ask Mick Davies whether he is related to the Bill Davies whose father also served at Aldeburgh and sent me some wonderful photographs taken there at the time, photographs which are NOT in Geoff Dewing's book.

Seaplane / Bill Forster

QUOTE (mickdavis @ Jan 11 2008, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The MOS at Aldeburgh was been wound down at the time. The 2 DH6 were to be flown to Hendon, presumably 2 AAP for storage. The 2 DH6 were on an air test, prior to their delivery (?) flight. The wing of Adock's a/c hit the tail of Wright's. Both a/c came down near Aldringham. Wright was still alive and was taken to Ranelagh Road Hospital in Iswich, where he died. He was buried at Aldeburgh church on 30 May. Apparently, it was one day before his first wedding anniversary.

#13 Seaplane

Seaplane

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:20 PM

Read Air Station Aldeburgh 1915-1919;by Geoff Dewing (East Molesey: Geoff Dewing, 1998). ISBN 0 9526416 2 3.

My father was a flight cadet there in 1918 and on the staff in 1919.

Seaplane / Bill Forster

QUOTE (Seaplane @ Jul 4 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am new on this Forum & some features do not appear to work for me so please excuse any errors.

Just wanted to let anybody with an interest in the No 1 MARINE OBSERVERS SCHOOL at Aldeburgh know that Geoff Dewing wrote and self published a well researched guide to this Station:-

Dewing, Geoff. Air Station Aldeburgh 1915-1919; Geoff Dewing (East Molesey: Geoff Dewing, 1998). ISBN 0 9526416 2 3.

My father, William Redvers Forster (1900-75) was a flight cadet there in August 1918 before being commissioned and posted to Houton Bay Air Station in the Orkney Islands. In January 1919 he was posted back to Adeburgh as a member of staff. And he is one of the officers in the photograph of the staff in Geoff Dewing's booklet.

I would also like to ask Mick Davies whether he is related to the Bill Davies whose father also served at Aldeburgh and sent me some wonderful photographs taken there at the time, photographs which are NOT in Geoff Dewing's book.

Seaplane / Bill Forster

#14 MerleWright

MerleWright

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:40 PM

Hi Harper,

I have (with alot of help from my father in law!) just started tracing my family tree and came accross this post whilst looking into my Great Uncle Cyril Victor Clarence Wright (1893-1919). From reading the messages on the forum i believe that we are distant cousins...! I too was told the surgen to the Maharajahs in India story by my Grandfather! Our common link i believe is Alfred Arnold Wright who was Cyril's & my Great Grandfather's (Eustace Willie Wright) father. I was facinated by Cyril's story as i have always been into Military history so would love to hear more about it, and also if you have researched anymore of the family history?!

Hope this message reaches you and i look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,

Tim.

#15 MerleWright

MerleWright

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

Hi again, my Father in law also found this record from the the London Gazette, 11 Jun 1918.

.....sorry forgot the attachment...!

Says the file is too Large to upload i'm afraid!

#16 Harper

Harper

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

A cousin recently shared the attached photos of Lt CVC Wright's funeral at Aldeburgh on 31st May 1919.Attached File  Cyril Wright Funeral 2.jpg   18.81KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Cyril Wright Funeral 3.jpg   29.72KB   0 downloads