Photo

Development of Aerial Photography

12 replies to this topic

#1 Kate Wills

Kate Wills

Lieut-General

• Admin
  • 8,283 posts
  • Interests:concert parties; Salonika esp. 7th OBLI; arts in WW1; my cats; Save the Strays; Northampton Saints RFC

Posted 04 March 2007 - 04:06 PM

I do not normally use the Forum to plug our meetings, but because this is the first time this talk has been booked for a WFA audience, I thought members interested in aerial photography; the RFC /RAF; mapping and battlefield archeology may wish to join us in Northampton this coming Thursday. Here is the blurb from our newsletter:

This month's speaker is archaeologist Martyn Barber, of English Heritage's Swindon-based Aerial Survey team. His talk on the Development of Aerial Photography is intruigingly called 'Mata Hari's Glass Eye & Other Tales: Pioneers of Aerial Photography', which is also the title of his latest book, published to mark the centenary of the first ever photograph of Stonehenge taken from an aerial balloon; a photograph which changed the world of archaeology. The book explains the significance of this image and the changes it brought to understanding and interpreting the landscape. Martyn tells us "Aerial photographs are our main method for finding new archaeological sites. They are invaluable for studying the past. For the coming lecture, I thought I’d focus on how aerial photography developed within the military (Royal Engineers /RFC/ RNAS/ RAF), particularly during WW1, and then show how the experiences of WW1 were subsequently put to use by archaeologists who had served in the RFC. Hopefully I’ll have some photos and stories you’ve not encountered before. I usually bring along some handouts, which includes a list of useful books, sources of aerial photographs etc".

more details available from the WFA site, and the brach site:
http://www.freewebs....utthebranch.htm

#2 Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 318 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:58 AM

Hi Kate,

I wish I could make it, I hope Mr Barber speaks kindly of Sydney Cotton.

Andrew

#3 Martynb

Martynb

Corporal

• Members2
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:34 AM

Andrew,

I generally give Mr Cotton his due in the WW2 version, although he usually gets a mention anytime I talk about the historic aspects of aerial photography. Incidentally, I would be grateful for tips on more sources/details on his service during WW1...

Martyn

#4 Stebie9173

Stebie9173

General

• Old Sweats
  • 12,898 posts
  • Interests:Northamptonshire Regiment (mainly 6th Bn.), 12th Div Signals R.E., 9th Black Watch, Royal Engineers.

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:10 AM

I shall be in Northampton this Thursday, (especially early to avoid David's Wrath). I look forward to the talk.

Is Mr Barber being subjected treated to the usual w(h)ining and dining?

Steve.

#5 montbrehain

montbrehain

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:25 AM

A very interesting subject. If you havent come across it allready ? then this is worth a look too "MO"
Attached File  once.jpg   58.64KB   6 downloads

Attached File  oncein_aut.jpg   59.84KB   6 downloads

#6 Kate Wills

Kate Wills

Lieut-General

• Admin
  • 8,283 posts
  • Interests:concert parties; Salonika esp. 7th OBLI; arts in WW1; my cats; Save the Strays; Northampton Saints RFC

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:38 PM

Well, blow me down!!

I didn't realise Martyn was a member of the GWF. He obviously moves in the best circles.

...and talking about circles, Moon on the Square as usual Steve.

#7 Martynb

Martynb

Corporal

• Members2
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:57 AM

<<I didn't realise Martyn was a member of the GWF. He obviously moves in the best circles.>>

But of course - from the Tufty Club to the Prehistoric Society, one must be so careful when deciding whether or not to join.

In addition to Watkis' 'Western Front from the Air', Roy Conyers Nesbit's 'Eyes of the RAF: a history of photo-reconnaissance' (Sutton, 1996) is also a really good introduction, although it takes the long view, touching on more recent conflicts such as the (first) Gulf War.

#8 LowNslow

LowNslow

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Restoring the Biggles Biplane BE-2c replica.

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:38 PM

Thank you for the "heads up" Kate.

Obviously with the BE-2 replica coming back together at Sywell, we've got a keen interest!

Look forward to seeing you there.

Steve S

#9 Kate Wills

Kate Wills

Lieut-General

• Admin
  • 8,283 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (Martynb @ Mar 7 2007, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the Prehistoric Society,

So you belong to the Townswomen's Guild too? ph34r.gif

Steve S, I look forward to seeing you there.

#10 KSAChairman

KSAChairman

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:32 PM

I'm looking for a speaker for a lst minute engagement this Friday 27th April,. Do you think Mr Barber might be available and was he a good speaker?

QUOTE (Kate Wills @ Mar 4 2007, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do not normally use the Forum to plug our meetings, but because this is the first time this talk has been booked for a WFA audience, I thought members interested in aerial photography; the RFC /RAF; mapping and battlefield archeology may wish to join us in Northampton this coming Thursday. Here is the blurb from our newsletter:
This month's speaker is archaeologist Martyn Barber, of English Heritage's Swindon-based Aerial Survey team. His talk on the Development of Aerial Photography is intruigingly called 'Mata Hari's Glass Eye & Other Tales: Pioneers of Aerial Photography', which is also the title of his latest book, published to mark the centenary of the first ever photograph of Stonehenge taken from an aerial balloon; a photograph which changed the world of archaeology. The book explains the significance of this image and the changes it brought to understanding and interpreting the landscape. Martyn tells us "Aerial photographs are our main method for finding new archaeological sites. They are invaluable for studying the past. For the coming lecture, I thought Iíd focus on how aerial photography developed within the military (Royal Engineers /RFC/ RNAS/ RAF), particularly during WW1, and then show how the experiences of WW1 were subsequently put to use by archaeologists who had served in the RFC. Hopefully Iíll have some photos and stories youíve not encountered before. I usually bring along some handouts, which includes a list of useful books, sources of aerial photographs etc".

more details available from the WFA site, and the brach site:
http://www.freewebs....utthebranch.htm

#11 Martynb

Martynb

Corporal

• Members2
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (KSAChairman @ Apr 21 2007, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm looking for a speaker for a lst minute engagement this Friday 27th April,. Do you think Mr Barber might be available and was he a good speaker?

Sorry, Friday would be impossible, but if you want to arrange something for later in the year (depending on audience reviews, obviously), then let me know - martyn.barber@english-heritage.org.uk.

#12 Kate Wills

Kate Wills

Lieut-General

• Admin
  • 8,283 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:28 PM

Sorry for not responding earlier.

The audience reviews were excellent. Martyn attracted one of our best-ever houses, who were treated to the development of aerial photography from tethered ballooons at the turn of the century to the modern work of English Heritage's Aerial Survey team, who use light aircraft to survey archaelogical sites. The WW1 material was naturally of especial interest to us, particulrly the shots of training trenches in England. The highly professional presentation was made all the more enjoyable by Martyn's many drolleries.

#13 Barnbarroch

Barnbarroch

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

Aerial Reconnaissance & the First World War

An exhibition at Dimbola Museum and Galleries, 
Terrace Lane, Freshwater Bay, 
Isle of Wight, England, PO40 9QE

11TH JANUARY - 25TH FEBRUARY

World War One saw photo-reconnaissance come of age. For the first time photographs were taken from immediately above the field of battle and behind enemy lines, giving commanders in the field a unique and accurate picture of terrain and enemy dispositions as they planned their operations.

This exhibition includes examples of cameras and original photographs and maps showing how they were used by soldiers planning their activities. Most have been loaned by descendents currently resident on the Isle of Wight.

Exhibition Talk - Thursday 13th February, 6pm

John Evans will be providing a fascinating insight into this historically-significant technology and the way in which it was used during the First World War. The talk will be followed by a reception and the opportunity to see the exhibition with hot and cold drinks available from a fully-licensed cash bar. Tickets are £4 and are available from Dimbola or by calling 01983 756814.

Regards,
Jamie.