Private Hugh McIver VC, MM and bar

45 replies to this topic

#1 marina

marina

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:56 AM

I've just read today in the Scottish Daily Express that Hugh McIver of Paisley is to have a commemorative monument in France - I think at Corcelle-le-Compte (the article isn't very clear)and that French historians want to hear from his family.

http://www.cwgc.org/...casualty=614904

http://ww1cemeteries...ucourtcopse.htm

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Hugh_McIver

Anyone know anything else about him?

Marina

#2 Les Turner

Les Turner

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:13 PM

McIVER, Hugh
Private. Royal Scots. *
London Gazetted 15th November, 1918.
Born 21st June 1890 at Linwood, Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Killed in action on 2nd September, 1918.
Memorial on grave at Vraucourt Copse Cemetery, France.
Digest of Citation reads:
For acting with most conspicuous bravery and devotion whilst employed as a runner on 23rd August 1918, to the east of Courcelles-de-Comte, France. He carried messages regardless of his own safety. He followed an enemy scout into a machine-gun post, and single-handed, having killed six of the garrison, captured 20 more prisoners along with two machine guns. This action enabled the company to further advance unimpeded. At a later time, at great personal risk, he succeeded in stopping the deadly fire from a British tank which had been incorrectly directed at very close range. This very gallant action, without doubt, saved many unnecessary British soldiers from death.
* Lothian Regiment.
Additional information: Private McIver was awarded the Military Medal (MM) Gazetted on 19th September, 1916, followed by a Bar to the Military Medal, Gazetted on 21st October 1918.
He was the son of Hugh and Mary (née Flynn) MacIver. Educated at St Charle's Roman Catholic School, Newton, Lanarkshire. He joined the army on 18th August 1914, serving in the European War (WWI) in France with the 2nd Royal Scots from 11th May 1915 to 19th October 1917 and from 12th February, 1918 until he was killed in action on 2nd September 1918. He was not married.

Les.

#3 marina

marina

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:37 PM

Thanks, Les - what a shame to get so far in the war and then be killed so near the end.
Marina

#4 Les Turner

Les Turner

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:00 PM

Marina,

Although Hugh McIver never married, he was one of several siblings. Below is a little info from the Scottish 1901 census. Hope it's of help.

Les.

1901 Scotland Census

Name: Hugh McIver
Estimated birth year: abt 1891
Relationship: Son
Father's name: Hugh
Mother's name: Mary
Where born: Linwood, Renfrewshire
Registration Number: 627
Registration district: Cambuslang
Civil parish: Cambuslang
County: Lanarkshire
Address: 34 Dunkop St

Household Members: Name Age
Hugh Christie 30
Joseph Christie 26
Bridget McIver 3
Hugh McIver 46
Hugh McIver 10
Jane McIver 1
Kate McIver 4
Maggie McIver 15
Mary McIver 42
Mary McIver 6
Patrick McIver 8

#5 marina

marina

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:23 PM

Thanks, les. Quite a brood. Well, there are bound to be descendants for the French to find!
Marina

#6 Derek Robertson

Derek Robertson

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweat
  • 2,356 posts
  • Interests:Hawick and District in the Great War - watch this space for a book to be launched in 2018 bearing the same name!!
    Always interested to learn more on Stobs POW during the Great War, Scottish War Memorials and the battles of Loos, Arras and 3rd Ypres with a slant towards the Scots who fought there.

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:45 AM

The service commemorating the five sons of Paisley who won the VC is to be held on 26th June:

http://www.eveningti...1473963.0.0.php

#7 Margaret O

Margaret O

Corporal

• Members2
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (marina @ Apr 10 2007, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, les. Quite a brood. Well, there are bound to be descendants for the French to find!
Marina

Pte. Hugh McIver is my great uncle (the uncle of my deceased father, also named Hugh after him). Hugh McIver was the brother of my grandmother Kate Farrell (nee McIver). Although Hugh never married or had a family, his extended family are extremely proud of him. In August this year (2008) we as a family will be making the trip to France to take part in the Commemaration Service and also to visit his grave. Part of that family group will be 3 of Hugh's nieces who themselves are elderly (in their 80's).
Hugh was born in Renfrewshire, but moved to Newton, Cambuslang as a very young child. His father, my great grandfather, moved to the area for work and worked in the coal mine in Newton.
His VC, MM & Bar are displayed in the Royal Scots Museum in Edinburgh Castle.
My great grandparents made the trip to London to receive his medal. Hugh was killed in action 10 days after the battle for which he was awarded the VC.

#8 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Lieut-General

• Old Sweat
  • 10,701 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:56 PM

Very many, perhaps almost all, VC winners received a promotion soon after the event. I can only think that his tragic death so soon after the award precluded this, unless he had an objection to promotion, as many did.

#9 marina

marina

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (Margaret O @ Jan 14 2008, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Although Hugh never married or had a family, his extended family are extremely proud of him. In

Rightly so, Margaret!
Marina

#10 ch'François

ch'François

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 46 posts
  • Location:Lecluse North of France (between Arras and Cambrai)

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:28 PM

Hi pals !
I'm a member of the "Somme Remembrance Association"
Christophe Guéant (another member) is the man who Is at the origin of the project of the Memorial.
Here are two links which concern this ceremony

http://www.somme-rem...monies_2008.php

http://www.somme-rem...08_projects.php

Best Regards, Franç wink.gif is

#11 Margaret O

Margaret O

Corporal

• Members2
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:48 PM

Francois
My name is Margaret O'Raw and Pte. Hugh McIver was my great uncle. Myself and several members of my family will be attending the Service for in France for Hugh. We are all extremely proud of him and are very honoured to be invited to the service to honour is bravery.
Margaret O'Raw

#12 alisonwarby

alisonwarby

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (Margaret O @ Jul 26 2008, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Francois
My name is Margaret O'Raw and Pte. Hugh McIver was my great uncle. Myself and several members of my family will be attending the Service for in France for Hugh. We are all extremely proud of him and are very honoured to be invited to the service to honour is bravery.
Margaret O'Raw

#13 alisonwarby

alisonwarby

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:39 PM

Hi my name is Alison Warburton nee McGuinness my gran was Jane nee McIver am Franks daughter .Iam wondering if you could help us find out some details about Hugh McIver's service next week as my brother's are going but cant find any information about it , i would be greatful if you could help us. Thank you.

#14 Margaret O

Margaret O

Corporal

• Members2
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:54 AM

QUOTE (alisonwarby @ Aug 11 2008, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi my name is Alison Warburton nee McGuinness my gran was Jane nee McIver am Franks daughter .Iam wondering if you could help us find out some details about Hugh McIver's service next week as my brother's are going but cant find any information about it , i would be greatful if you could help us. Thank you.

#15 Margaret O

Margaret O

Corporal

• Members2
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:04 AM

Alison,
The service is in Courcelle-le-comte in northern France, it's on 23rd August at 3p.m. If you go to www.somme-remembrance.com/ and follow the links (ceremonies & projects). You will see several items about Hugh McIver. If your brothers are going please tell them that my aunts Jane Lynn, Rena Fleming and Agnes Bell are going with their families. (They are Hugh McIvers nieces). I will be there with my husband, my sister (Rose Gallagher) and her husband. Also let them know that our father was Hugh Farrell.
Kindest Regards
Margaret O'Raw (nee Farrell)

#16 alisonwarby

alisonwarby

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:54 PM

Hi Margaret

Thanks so much for getting back to me , i didnt know what else to do they really want to go , i would go to but we go on holiday that day with my mum {Alice} iam not sure if you know her or not . any way thanks again , hope you have a nice day and thanks again for you help.

Thank you Alison

#17 Margaret O

Margaret O

Corporal

• Members2
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:25 PM

Alison

I'm sorry I don't know your mum but my sister probably does. She still lives in Halfway, Cambuslang and knows a lot more of the family than I do. I did know of your gran though. She died approx. a couple of weeks before my dad in December 1998. I see her gravestone when I go to Westburn Cemetery, which I do regularly.
I'll post a message on the site once I come back and let you know how it all went. We're really looking forward to it. I think it will be quite moving and emotional.
Kindest Regards
Margaret

#18 Margaret O

Margaret O

Corporal

• Members2
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (alisonwarby @ Aug 12 2008, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Margaret

Thanks so much for getting back to me , i didnt know what else to do they really want to go , i would go to but we go on holiday that day with my mum {Alice} iam not sure if you know her or not . any way thanks again , hope you have a nice day and thanks again for you help.

Thank you Alison

#19 unitedsound

unitedsound

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:The Great War
    Family Tree
    Soul Music
    The Rangers FC
    History
    Belgian Beer
    Real Ale
    Golf on tv
    Indian Curries

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:26 PM

It was good to see Rose Gallagher and family featured on Scottish Television tonight before travelling to France.

They can be very proud of Hugh McIver VC, MM and bar.

BTW I have family in Westburn Cemetery. They came from Castlechimmins Avenue in Halfway.

David

#20 Margaret O

Margaret O

Corporal

• Members2
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:12 PM

Hello
I am Margaret O'Raw, Rose Gallagher's sister. The weekend in France to honour my great uncle Hugh McIver was truly a wonderful experience. There was a tremondous turnout of family members and we're all so very proud of him. The people and community of Courcelle-le-comte made us all so very welcome. It is something I will never ever forget. I have pencilled in 2nd September 2018 in my diary (God willing) to go back to his graveside and lay flowers on the 100th anniversary of his death.
Regards
Margaret

#21 mammieross

mammieross

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:38 AM

The Parade at Courcelles-Le-Compte 23/08/2008

#22 mammieross

mammieross

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:07 AM

Memorial

#23 Margaret O

Margaret O

Corporal

• Members2
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for posting the photos. I'm sorry I don't know who you are. I do recognise the name Ross. I think they were cousins of my dads but not really sure. Can you let me know if this is correct.
Regards
Margaret O (nee Farrell)

#24 mammieross

mammieross

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (Margaret O @ Sep 2 2008, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for posting the photos. I'm sorry I don't know who you are. I do recognise the name Ross. I think they were cousins of my dads but not really sure. Can you let me know if this is correct.
Regards
Margaret O (nee Farrell)

Mary Mc Iver the sister of Kate Mc Iver was my grandmother.

#25 mammieross

mammieross

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:46 PM

Margret
Moira's mother was my mothers sister. Here is a link for some good photos of your family in case you don't have it already.

http://picasaweb.goo...ingPrvHMcIverVC#

wr