20 replies to this topic

#1 WW1Piper

WW1Piper

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:50 AM

Hello,

I'm new to the forum but my interest lies with the 1CMR of Canada. Is ther anyone else with an interest in this unit, or have any information to share?

Looking forward to any information/discussion.

Cheers, smile.gif

WW1Piper

#2 Havrincourt

Havrincourt

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 770 posts
  • Interests:Yorkshire Regiments that fought in the Great War, visiting battlefields ,researching trench maps and aerial photo's. Researching for our site http://www.tadcaster-ww1-memorials.com

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:16 AM

Welcome Tom

I am sure that you will get some useful replies here

Cheers

Andy

smile.gif

#3 npm

npm

Major

• Old Sweat
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:@2ndCMR WWI, Politics, Genealogy, History & Literature

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (WW1Piper @ Apr 25 2007, 05:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm new to the forum but my interest lies with the 1CMR of Canada. Is ther anyone else with an interest in this unit, or have any information to share?

Hi WW1Piper,

Welcome to an addictive pursuit.
My interest is in the 2nd CMR - you'll find there are a few of us involved in the Canadian Expeditionary Forces (CEF). You might want to help transcribing their War Diaries. Can you share any information on your relative/s that may have served in the 1st?

Also see http://www.cefresearch.com/phpBB2/ for further information when you've seen the Long Long Trail

Norrette

#4 GrandsonMichael

GrandsonMichael

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,004 posts
  • Interests:Essex Regiment mainly 2nd Battalion
    Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:38 AM

Yeah, welcome!

I'm sure there will be knowledgeable people lining up to help you with your questions. In the mean time, the Canadian War Diaries for the 1st Regiment/Battalion Canadian Mounted Rifles can be accessed here and there is some additional information to be found here. Also, you might like to drop your question here, as there are fellow researchers running around there, as there are on this great forum.

Cheers,

Michael

#5 CMR

CMR

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:53 AM

Hello Piper.

I am new to the forum as well.

I have spent a few years researching the 1st CMR battalion (thats what led me to this forum) and in particular Lieut. Jack Sydie MC killed at Orange Hill in front of Monchy on August 26 1918. He was an original and attested on Dec 31 1914. Been through the war diaries start to finish and have researched the archives in Ottawa as well as local sources. I'm still looking, researching and trying to find more info. This research stuff is addictive though. Every answered question reveals a dozen more.

There wasn't an official history of the unit printed and that limits us somewhat and being at least a generation too late doesn't help either, but thats what these forums come in.

I'd be happy to help you if I can.

Let me know

Rick

#6 Terry

Terry

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:The CEF and the 1914 BEF

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:05 AM

It is unfortunate that the 1st and 5th CMR did not produce regimental histories. I have the books for 2nd and 4th CMR (the other two CMR units which served at the front throughout the war) and they have been invaluable in my research.

#7 stevo

stevo

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

I am new. My great uncle (William Henry JONES) served with the 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles and was killed in action during the battle of Mount Sorrel in June 1916.His body was never found. He travelled from England in Late 1914 to Canada and enlisted in the Canadian Army. I have obtained a copy of his service record from Canada. Sadly, I do not have a photograph of him.
I have visted Sanctuary Wood and the Menin Gate where his name, with so many others is displayed.The Canadian memorial at Hill 62 is very impressive.
I am keen to find out if there were any photographs of the 1st CMR in existence.

#8 georgemckieIII

georgemckieIII

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:05 AM

Hi Stevo and welcome to the Forum.

The links above given by Grandson Michael may help you out with the 1st C.M.R. There are a number of images on line of various C.M.R's if you "Google" 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles. They have a long history from the Boer war as well.

Best of luck in your research and don't be afraid to post questions on this Forum as well as others that may cater specifically to the C.E.F.

George

#9 DavoT

DavoT

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 943 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (stevo @ Jan 4 2010, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My great uncle (William Henry JONES) served with the 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles and was killed in action during the battle of Mount Sorrel in June 1916.His body was never found.

Hi Guys,
and welcome to the forum. I have been researching 117050 Private Robert Forfar Wright of the 1st CMR who was also KIA 5 June 1916 at the Battle of Mount Sorrel and he is commemorated on the Menin Gate. He was 38.

Cheers,

David

#10 stevo

stevo

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (georgemckieIII @ Jan 4 2010, 03:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Stevo and welcome to the Forum.

The links above given by Grandson Michael may help you out with the 1st C.M.R. There are a number of images on line of various C.M.R's if you "Google" 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles. They have a long history from the Boer war as well.

Best of luck in your research and don't be afraid to post questions on this Forum as well as others that may cater specifically to the C.E.F.

George

Hi George,

Many thanks for your help.

I have managed to access the war diaries, the day of the attack at Mount Sorrel must have been horrific. I have also bought a book about the battle which goes into great detail.

My great uncle, like many others was under age, you can see on his attestation papers where his year of birth has been changed, he was 19yrs when he died. He also had a brother Harold who was also killed in WW1 but I am unable to find any trace of him. He was under age and I can only assume he enlisted with false details.

My next step is to try and find photographs of the 1st CMR.

Kind Regards
Stevo

#11 stevo

stevo

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

Hi Michael,

I had a great uncle who served with the 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles, he was killed at the Battle of Mount Sorrel in 1916.
Do you know if any photographs exist of the regiment.
I have been trying to find photographs without any success.
My e-mail addres is stephen-bartley@sky.com
Regards
Steve Bartley
Wales
UK

Yeah, welcome!

I'm sure there will be knowledgeable people lining up to help you with your questions. In the mean time, the Canadian War Diaries for the 1st Regiment/Battalion Canadian Mounted Rifles can be accessed here and there is some additional information to be found here. Also, you might like to drop your question here, as there are fellow researchers running around there, as there are on this great forum.

Cheers,

Michael

#12 gary thomson

gary thomson

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:P.P.C.L.I. ROYAL SCOTS AND THE GREAT WAR

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

hi ww1piper, i am researching the men from dundee scotland who enlisted with the cef. i have a photo of the grave marker for
LIEUTENANT WILLIAM AIMER KENNY 1ST MOUNTED DIED 24/2/19 AND BURIED IN BALGAY CEMETERY. If you would like a copy pm me your email address and i will forward it. I think i may also have a picture of him (will check on returning home).i have also come across the following to men from dundee who are listed as 1st mounted rifles will also check for photos off these 2.
GEORGE MILLS REID 106504
WILLIAM WOOD 910964

cheers, gary t.

#13 Peter Maxfield

Peter Maxfield

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:59 AM

Hi,

My interest is with the CMR's, especially the 1st, as my grandfather was a senior Major with them throughout the war (Flickr set on him: 'Walter Edward Maxfield DSO 1877-1964': http://flic.kr/s/aHsjqVAqSp ). I'm about to publish a website dedicated to them on Yola, I'll post a link when done. In the meantime there's some photos at my Flickr set: '1st Canadian Mounted Rifles': http://flic.kr/s/aHsjs3Wrec

Regards,

Peter Maxfield.

#14 georgemckieIII

georgemckieIII

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:37 AM

Hello!

Have been away from the Forum for a few..., and quite looking forward to the publishing of the link for the 1st C.M.R. My grandfather was a private in this esteemed group of men, but did not join until June-July 1916. His original Battalion (74th) was broken up upon arrival in France for re-inforcements.

George

#15 Cole Wilson

Cole Wilson

Private

• Members2
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:45 PM

Hi,

I am also interested in the 1st CMR as my great uncle Frederick P. Cole served with them from April 1917 until his death at Passchendaele on Oct 26, 1917. I recently had the opportunity to visit the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa and the people at the Archival Collection were able to help me find a personal war diary written by (?) Burrell who served with the 1st CMR. It has been transcribed and I was able to get a copy of the dates my uncle was with the battalion.The call number is 58A 1 92.11-13. My uncle originally enlisted with the 196 Western University Battalion and trained at Camp Hughes in Manitoba so I am also interested in these two topics.

Cole

#16 1stmotors

1stmotors

Corporal

• Members2
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Collect 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade items and 1st Nations medals

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:14 PM

My Grand Uncle L/Cpl Fred H. Tweney, 106596, was an early recruit Jan 11, 1915, with the 1st Mounted rifles, having been with the 34th Fort Garry Horse prior to 1914. His medals include the 14/15 Star. After being wounded in France he transferred to the CMGD 1n 1917, and eventually went on strength as a Number 1, (Vickers Gunner) with "D" Battery 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade.
I have an image of him in uniform which shows the early attire of the 1st Mounted rifles

Posted Image

#17 1stmotors

1stmotors

Corporal

• Members2
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Collect 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade items and 1st Nations medals

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

Hi,

I am also interested in the 1st CMR as my great uncle Frederick P. Cole served with them from April 1917 until his death at Passchendaele on Oct 26, 1917. I recently had the opportunity to visit the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa and the people at the Archival Collection were able to help me find a personal war diary written by (?) Burrell who served with the 1st CMR. It has been transcribed and I was able to get a copy of the dates my uncle was with the battalion.The call number is 58A 1 92.11-13. My uncle originally enlisted with the 196 Western University Battalion and trained at Camp Hughes in Manitoba so I am also interested in these two topics.

Cole

Hi Cole

Here is a great 1st Mounted Rifles image of breaking a horse at Camp Sewell. Camp Sewell was renamed Camp Hughes during the war

Tom

Posted Image

#18 LST_164

LST_164

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,543 posts
  • Interests:WW1 Anglesey Casualties

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

Hi,
424974 Pte William Jones was from the town of Beaumaris, Anglesey, North Wales. He served with the 90th Winnipeg Rifles before enlisting at Portage La Prairie on 23 April 1915 for the 45th Battalion CEF. Book-keeper by trade, and a Wesleyan Methodist. Overseas to the UK April 1916.

Was transferred to the 1st CMR, served on the Western Front and was killed in action presumably at Flers-Courcelette on 15 September 1916 aged 35. He had family at Stockport, England and Beaumaris. He is commemorated on the Beaumaris war memorial, and the Beaumaris panel of the North Wales Heroes Memorial Arch in Bangor, Gwynedd.

I have a photo I took of his grave at Courcelette British Cemetery, Somme, and images of his service file and death certificate. Beaumaris has easily the most number of ex-pats who died serving with the CEF in WW1 out of any other area of Anglesey.

Clive

#19 Peter Maxfield

Peter Maxfield

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:32 AM

A 1st C.M.R. website! :-

http://canadianmount...s.yolasite.com/

Pete.

#20 boxwoodgreen

boxwoodgreen

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:17 AM

Greetings, found your query whilst researching for a friend, re: Major SL Jones PPCLI buried at Moorseele CWGC. Mainstay of query was how a Canadian Major came to rest there when most of the burials were from 1918 era. Major Jones died June 8/16. My great uncle James was lost at Hill 60 on the last day of the Battle of Mount Sorrel June 13, and I remembered the PPCLI getting hit very hard in the opening German attack June 2. That led me to find Major Jones had been severely wounded June 2 and having fallen into the hands of the Germans. He died likely at the convent hospital at Moorselle, and was buried with full military honours by the Germans at their cemetery which eventually became Moorseele CWGC. The 700 ish German graves were exhumed later and moved to a German Soldatenfriedhof. .

Found today there are four other Canadian soldiers buried at Moorseele same row AA, one other PPCLI, one of the 1st CMR, and two of the 4th CMR. Three died within a day either side of Major Jones, one three weeks later in July. Coincidence(?) one of the 4th CMR burials is identified as J.H. Jones. Suggestion is that all died as captured/wounded in the first day of Mount Sorrel that later died of wounds in German hands.

Reading the Unit log of 1CMR seeing out of 21 Officers 5 were killed outright, 5 wounded ten missing, hence only one returned alive and not wounded Only 135 out of 670 other ranks were not casualties. A terrible day in which many were buried in the underground mine explosions. Don't know if any of this helps. But worth the try.

#21 Bart.D.D

Bart.D.D

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 215 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

I live 3 miles from Mooseele CWGC: sent me a PM if you want me to take pictures of the place.

Bart