7 replies to this topic

#1 burlington

burlington

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,812 posts
  • Interests:WW1 & WW2, horticulture, web design, photography

Posted 24 December 2003 - 03:02 PM

I am doing some strictly amateur research on the soldier father of a friend of mine.

The soldier in question is Private Jesse Hiscock, 85505, who signed up in 1906, went AWOL after hitting a sergeant and then seems to have rejoined in 1913/14. He was transferred to the reserve in 1918.

His paybook at the time of his transfer shows that he served with the DCLI and with the Devon Regiment.

Can anyone date his uniform in the attached photo?

A photo of him with mates in 1906 is shown in the Document Repository topic area.

Attached Files

#2 Robert Dunlop

Robert Dunlop

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,466 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 04:01 PM

I have lightened the image.

Attached Files

#3 Deleted_alkens_*

Deleted_alkens_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2003 - 04:17 PM

I've tried to clean it up for you a bit more, could you seend me a high res scan and I'll do a proper job for you.

regards

Paul

Attached Files

• Attached File  19.jpg   0bytes   0 downloads

#4 Paul Reed

Paul Reed

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 05:12 PM

The cap badge doesn't look like DCLI or Devons; it looks more like Essex, Dorsets or Northants! Pity it is blurred.

The photo was taken during WW1 as he is wearing 1914 Pattern leather equipment; the rifle is a P14 or Arisarka?

It also looks like he has a large brass shoulder title - so possibly a Territorial?

#5 burlington

burlington

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (alkens @ Wed, 24 Dec 2003 16:17:33 +0000)
I've tried to clean it up for you a bit more, could you seend me a high res scan and I'll do a proper job for you.

regards

Paul

Thank you Paul

The best res. I can do, 600 dpi, is on it's way to you. BUT even from the original the resolution is blurred.

Ref. Paul Reed's comment. Hiscock was eventually in the Territorials from 1918 but before that my info. is that he was a regular.

Have a good Christmas

Regards

#6 burlington

burlington

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (alkens @ Wed, 24 Dec 2003 16:17:33 +0000)

regards

Paul

Paul

I tried to send you the photo as an attachment to an email but i could not find a way of doing this via the system.

Therefore, here is the photo at 600 dpi.

Attached Files

#7 Joe Sweeney

Joe Sweeney

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweat
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 02:30 PM

I would say that Paul is correct and the rifle is actually a Japanese Arisaka. Interesting photo.
I'd guess that the photo, at earliest, was take in very late 1914, but probably sometime in 1915 before he deployed overseas. The Japanese Arisaka was only used in Training.

Do you think he rejoined after war was declared? I have quite a bit info on a man who deserted pre-war, only to rejoin after war began (all forgiven).

Joe Sweeney

#8 burlington

burlington

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (Joe Sweeney @ Thu, 25 Dec 2003 14:30:50 +0000)
Do you think he rejoined after war was declared? I have quite a bit info on a man who deserted pre-war, only to rejoin after war began (all forgiven).

Joe

Thanks

There is quite a complicated family history to this man, including going under an assumed name for a time.

Will find out & let you know.