British school registers and rolls of honor

1741 replies to this topic

#426 Myrtle

Myrtle

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (liverpool annie @ Oct 13 2005, 12:50 AM)
Myrtle!

You are a SAINT! - thank you!!

Annie

Saint Myrtle ! No I don't think so. biggrin.gif
Annie there appears to be a South Lancs link with this list of men. Is this a Roll of Honour that you are researching ?

#427 ypres1418

ypres1418

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,224 posts
  • Interests:Still working on the Lads from Warrington and Seaford, Seb behaving for the most part!!!!!!!!!

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:53 PM

Dick,
before I ask you to look up some of my men, do you have lists for Seaford? there seem to have been over a dozen schools in Seaford or there abouts.

If you do I'll post some of the names to you, starting with the ones I can't find if you don't mind.

Thanks in advance.
Mandy

#428 liverpool annie

liverpool annie

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,320 posts
  • Interests:10th Battalion Rifle Brigade 1st Battalion South Lancs Liverpool ( Kings ) Regiment 2nd Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers The Men and Priests of Gorton and the Monastery

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (Myrtle @ Oct 13 2005, 03:47 PM)
Saint Myrtle ! No I don't think so.  biggrin.gif
Annie there appears to be a South Lancs link with this list of men. Is this a Roll of Honour that you are researching ?

Hi Myrtle!

Yes! I'm doing an Honour Roll - I'd love the link if you would let me have it!

Thank you!

Annie

#429 Myrtle

Myrtle

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (liverpool annie @ Oct 13 2005, 04:12 PM)
Hi Myrtle!

Yes! I'm doing an Honour Roll - I'd love the link if you would let me have it!

Thank you!

Annie

Annie
Just an observation that all the men that Pam listed and Carlyon have mics which mention the South Lancs.
Myrtle

#430 Old Chap

Old Chap

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:Very keenly interested in the Liverpool Pals - during and after the Great War. Also research men from the Aintree district of Liverpool who fought in WWI or II. Any medals etc named to TATTERSALL or any to the 1st Royal IrishRifles.

Posted 13 October 2005 - 07:33 PM

Hello Dick,
Please may i take you up on your kind offer. I'm looking for,
2nd Lieut.Walter Balshaw, 2nd Manchesters, kia 20/10/14. I have been told there is a photo/write up in the Manchester University Roll Of Honour.
Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Bill

#431 liverpool annie

liverpool annie

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,320 posts
  • Interests:10th Battalion Rifle Brigade 1st Battalion South Lancs Liverpool ( Kings ) Regiment 2nd Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers The Men and Priests of Gorton and the Monastery

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (Myrtle @ Oct 13 2005, 07:30 PM)
Annie
Just an observation that all the men that Pam listed and Carlyon have mics which mention the South Lancs.
Myrtle

Sorry Myrtle!

I misunderstood - I thought you meant there was a site (LINK??) that included these names !!! rolleyes.gif duh!!

Yes I'm doing the 1st battalion South Lancs - and
I appreciate all the help I've received - it's wonderful!
Regards

Annie

Sorry Dick - didn't mean to hijack your thread!

#432 liverpool annie

liverpool annie

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (rflory @ Oct 13 2005, 06:30 AM)
Annie:  Are your names Boer War officers, KIA, WWI?  I found a Captain Ernest Trevor James, Welch Regt., born in 1894, died 1949.  Is he your Capt E T James? 
Still working on these but need to have a small idea of the time period I am working with.  They do not appear to be Boer War casualties as were your others. 
Regards.  Dick

Hi Dick !

All I have is 2 photographs noted Capt ET James
and this
27-9-1901 The Prince of Wales' Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment').
To be Brevet Major.
Captain E. T. James.

He was with the regiment at Spion Kop - I can't find him KIA - there's no mention of him anywhere as far as I can see! Theres more than one census possibility for him - so I have no idea!
Your guy would be too young - one of the photos I have is Nov 1899 and he looks about late 20's

Annie

#433 Old Chap

Old Chap

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:Very keenly interested in the Liverpool Pals - during and after the Great War. Also research men from the Aintree district of Liverpool who fought in WWI or II. Any medals etc named to TATTERSALL or any to the 1st Royal IrishRifles.

Posted 17 October 2005 - 06:33 PM

Hello Dick,
Please may i ask you to look up 2nd.Lieut.Harry Brookes who attended Sale Grammar School and i believe he is also featured in the Manchester University Roll of Honour.
Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Bill

#434 liverpool annie

liverpool annie

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE (liverpool annie @ Oct 16 2005, 10:57 PM)
Hi Dick !

All I have is 2 photographs noted Capt ET James
and this
27-9-1901 The Prince of Wales' Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment').
To be Brevet Major.
Captain E. T. James.

He was with the regiment at Spion Kop - I can't find him KIA - there's no mention of him anywhere as far as I can see! Theres more than one census possibility for him - so I have no idea!
Your guy would be too young - one of the photos I have is Nov 1899 and he looks about late 20's

Annie

Ok Dick!

I'm down to 2 !
our friend James Capt E T and Skinner Lt S H

Thank you for all your help!

Annie

#435 Owen Hales

Owen Hales

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, WW1, being relaxed (an age thing)

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:58 AM

Dick,
Can you please look at any ref. book you may have for Dulwich College for a man I am researching. George Marquand TRUSS appears in the College Register 1619-1926 by Ormiston. He was at the college 1905-07. He joined the Westminster Dragoons in 1914 and transferred to the Scots Guards in 1916. He was 2nd Lt, MG officer, kia 25/9/1916 at Lesbouefs.
I would appreciate if you could add anything to this.

Ta V Much
Owen Hales

#436 rflory

rflory

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,769 posts
  • Interests:Twentieth Century Royal Artillery officers, especially for the Great War

Posted 20 October 2005 - 06:41 AM

Owen Hales wrote:
Can you please look at any ref. book you may have for Dulwich College for a man I am researching. George Marquand TRUSS appears in the College Register 1619-1926 by Ormiston. He was at the college 1905-07.

2nd Lieut. George Marquand Truss, Scots Guards
Born 27 Jan 91
Began his commercial career at Lloyd's
Then joined Messrs. M. P. Evans & Co., Mincing Lane, E.C.
Served with the Westminister Dragoons (Yeomanry) from 1910 to May, 1914.
Rejoined in Aug 1914 and went to Egypt with his regiment in Sept 1914
Then served in Sulva Bay until being invalided to Malta with jaundice and then to the UK arriving in Dec 1915
Commissioned as 2nd Lieut., Scots Guards in Jan 1916
Went to France in August 1916 where he was attached to the Maching Gun Company of the 3rd Guards Brigade.
Fell leading his men in the attack at Les Boeufs on 25 Sep 16

Source: Dulwich College Roll of Honour.

I have attached a photo of him from the above source. Regards. Dick Flory

Attached Files

#437 rflory

rflory

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,769 posts
  • Interests:Twentieth Century Royal Artillery officers, especially for the Great War

Posted 20 October 2005 - 06:52 AM

Old Chap wrote:
Please may i ask you to look up 2nd.Lieut.Harry Brookes who attended Sale Grammar School and i believe he is also featured in the Manchester University Roll of Honour.

Bill: I can not find a 2nd Lieut Harry Brookes in the Manchester University Roll of Service, but there is a 2nd Lieut. Percy Brookes; born in 1886, the son of R. D. Brooks, 12 Arnold Avenue, Saylesville, Rhode Island, USA. He served in the Stockport Technical School Officers Training Corps from May 1916 to January 1917. Beforer the war he was an auctioneer and valuer. Commissioned into the 6 th Bn, Cheshire Regiment he was KIA at Gheluvelt on 24 Dec 1917.

Regards. Dick

#438 Old Chap

Old Chap

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 446 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (rflory @ Oct 20 2005, 06:52 AM)
Old Chap wrote:

Bill: I can not find a 2nd Lieut Harry Brookes in the Manchester University Roll of Service, but there is a 2nd Lieut. Percy Brookes; born in 1886, the son of R. D. Brooks, 12 Arnold Avenue, Saylesville, Rhode Island, USA. He served in the Stockport Technical School Officers Training Corps from May 1916 to January 1917.  Beforer the war he was an auctioneer and valuer. Commissioned into the 6 th Bn, Cheshire Regiment he was KIA at Gheluvelt on 24 Dec 1917.

Regards.  Dick

Hello Dick,
I appreciate you looking, many thanks.

Regards,
Bill

#439 klawson

klawson

Private

• Members2
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (JulianB @ Jan 2 2004, 10:43 PM)
Dear Dick,
I am interested in people who attended the Liverpool Institute. I have a list of their Roll of Honour, but I would like to know  where I might find a list, class lists perhaps, OTC lists, post war reunion lists - of others who served and survived. My grandfather & his brothers were there and their letters often refer to people (serving) whom I suspect were schoolchums.
It's long list so I only ask generally.
thanks
julian

If you have the Role of Honour for the Liverpool Institute, perhaps you would be so kind as to look for the names of any Lawsons.
I am researching William George Lawson, who was in 2/10 Btn Liverpool Scottish
and his brother Walter (regiment unknown), born 1889 and 1892 respectively.
I do not know where they were educated but if you have successfully located any of the other class lists you mention, there is always a chance they could be there.

Thanks, K Lawson.

#440 DaveBrigg

DaveBrigg

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Researching the casualties of Brigg Grammar school.

Posted 21 October 2005 - 12:06 AM

Hi Dick
Do you have a register for the Kings Grammar School, Macclesfield?
If not, I may be able to give you a copy of recent research which traces all their WW1 casualties. It contains some artillery men.
Dave

#441 rflory

rflory

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,769 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 12:36 AM

DaveBrigg wrote:
Do you have a register for the Kings Grammar School, Macclesfield?
If not, I may be able to give you a copy of recent research which traces all their WW1 casualties. It contains some artillery men.

Dave: I do not have a register for Kings Grammar School, Macclesfield and would very much like to have a copy of the research. Regards. Dick

#442 Owen Hales

Owen Hales

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, WW1, being relaxed (an age thing)

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:09 AM

Source: Dulwich College Roll of Honour.

I have attached a photo of him from the above source. Regards. Dick Flory

[/quote]

Dick
As it turns out I already have this photo but didn't know its source. Where I wonder did the info in this Roll of Honour come from originally. Whereever it was there must be more, I just have to keep digging. I have his service record from the PRO and also from the SG regimental museum but am not making any more headway. The Westminster Dragoons museum can't help me till the end of next year as they are temporary accomodation. I also have a copy of the war diary for his unit but this doesn't help me at all.
I feel another trip to the PRO coming on.
Thanks for all this & the speedy response.
Owen Hales

#443 DaveBrigg

DaveBrigg

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 993 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (rflory @ Oct 21 2005, 12:36 AM)
DaveBrigg wrote:
Dave:  I do not have a register for Kings Grammar School, Macclesfield and would very much like to have a copy of the research.  Regards.  Dick

It will be a pleasure. I'll try to get hold of an original copy (limited supplies), otherwise it's a long session on the photocopier. I'll let you know when it's ready to send.
Best wishes
Dave

#444 wilkokcl

wilkokcl

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 692 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:15 PM

Dick,

Is there any chance of a look-up for a RFA officer? His school is unfortunately unknown but i'm hoping he may appear on your database of Artillery Officers.

Many thanks,

Mark.

Medal card of Nickels, Robert Norman
Corps Regiment No Rank
Honourable Artillery Company 2058 Private
Royal Field Artillery Second Lieutenant
Royal Field Artillery Captain

#445 rflory

rflory

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,769 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:24 PM

Mark wrote:
His school is unfortunately unknown but i'm hoping he may appear on your database of Artillery Officers. Nickels, Robert Norman

Captain Robert Norman Nickels, RFA TF
Born on 1 Nov 1890, the son of J. T. Nickels, Day House, Shrewsbury
Educated at Repton School from Sept 1905-July 1908
Received BA in Mech Sciences from Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge University in 1911
Private, HAC, 1914
2nd Lieut, 1/2nd Northumbrian Bde Ammunition Column, RFA TF, 9 Jul 1915
Served in France from 1915-1918
Lieutenant, Jun 1916
Captain RAF, April 1918
Three times wounded in action.
After the war he was a civil engineer and in 1922 he was employed by the The General Electrical Company of China, Ltd in Shanghai.
He was still living in 1957 and lived at Penhill Farm, St. Michael's Tenterden, Kent

Sources: Old Reptonian War Register, 1914-1919; Repton School Register, 1922; Repton School Register, 1957; The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919

Regards. Dick Flory

#446 liverpool annie

liverpool annie

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:01 PM

Dick!

I have everybody!!
Thank you so very much for all your wonderful information -
and your time and effort - I appreciate it !!

Annie

#447 wilkokcl

wilkokcl

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 692 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:05 PM

Ditto for me Dick - you are a wonderful source of information.

Many thanks,

Mark.

#448 DaveBrigg

DaveBrigg

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 993 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (rflory @ Oct 21 2005, 12:36 AM)
DaveBrigg wrote:
Dave:  I do not have a register for Kings Grammar School, Macclesfield and would very much like to have a copy of the research.  Regards.  Dick

A spare copy arrived in the post today. If you can send me your address I'll pass it on.
Thanks
Dave

#449 tombowcock

tombowcock

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Researching the fallen of our small church in Chippenham. Wilts<br /><br />Also wifes grandfather - Pte Cecil Stanley Rolling - RGA. Awarded the wakefield medal for defence of London.<br /><br />Now researching the village of Street, Somerset during the Great War.<br />

Posted 04 November 2005 - 03:38 PM

Hi Dick,

Can you tell me if you have any school rolls/registers for any of the schools in Chippenham, Wilts.

No point troubling you for infomation on individuals if you don't have ant Chippenham records :-)

Thanks very much for your help

Best Wishes

James

#450 rflory

rflory

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,769 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 04:02 PM

Dave wrote:
A spare copy arrived in the post today. If you can send me your address I'll pass it on.

Dave: Thank you for your kind offer but another friend in the UK just mailed me a copy that arrived two days ago. Regards. Dick