Colonel Coventry

15 replies to this topic

#1 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,181 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:37 PM

Further to Bruce's recent thread with the link to the LoC photographic collection;

If you look at the top four photographs on this page
http://memory.loc.go...p...&item=13709
They tell an interesting story the aftermath of the fighting at Qatia as they seem to show the entrance of Colonel Coventry and other British PoWs into Jerusalem

I have found these references on the web
If anyone can add anything then please do so

The Despatch of General Sir Archibald Murray, Commander-in-Chief, Egyptian Expeditionary Force. Printed in the Fourth Supplement to the London Gazette of 25 September 1916. This Despatch covers operations on both Egyptian fronts from January to May 1916.
General Headquarters,
Egyptian Expeditionary Force,
1st June, 1916.

On the 22nd April the Royal Flying Corps reported to No. 3 Section that new bodies of enemy troops were at Bir el Bayud, 15 miles E.S.E. of Qatia, and Bir el Mageibra, 10 miles S.E. of Qatia. Upon receipt of this information, General Wiggin obtained leave from General Officer Commanding No. 3 Section, to attack the enemy at Mageibra that night, reporting that he intended to use two squadrons of Warwickshire, and the one remaining squadron of Worcestershire Yeomanry. General Wiggin, with Lieut.-Colonel Coventry, commanding the Worcestershire Yeomanry, accompanied the raid to Mageibra. Finding very few enemy, they destroyed the camp and returned to Hamisah about 9 a.m. on the 23rd with six Turkish prisoners. In the meantime the post at Oghratina was attacked at 5.30a.m. This attack was repulsed. No further information was received from the Officer Commanding at Oghratina until 7 a.m., when he reported that he was again heavily attacked on all sides. This attack carried the post, all the garrison of which were either killed, wounded, or captured. No details of the fighting have, therefore, been obtainable. Qatia itself was attacked about 9.30 a.m. Lieutenant-Colonel Coventry was detached with one squadron of Worcestershire Yeomanry from General Wiggin's Force to operate towards Qatia. Unfortunately, this squadron became involved in the unsuccessful resistance of the Qatia garrison, and, with the exception of some 60 men and one officer who were able to disengage themselves, fell with it into the hands of the enemy. I have therefore been able to gather no detailed information of the actual fighting at Qatia.

Worcestershire Yeomanry Cavalry (1794-1994)
Taken from 'A Brief History of the Queen's Own Worcestershire Hussars' by Derek Woodward

The Regiment, which was based both at Qatia and Oghratine, extreme outposts of the Canal defences, were responsible for patrolling the whole of the Qatia water area. The prospect was one of soft, deep, shifting sands except for the palm tree groves which surrounded the wells. The desert made life difficult for both horses and men and meant that navigation had to be by compass in the featureless, ever-changing landscape.
The small isolated garrison at Oghratine had been ordered to protect a well-digging party of fifty unmounted engineers. At dawn on 23rd April 1916, 3,000 Turks, including a machine gun battery of 12 guns, attacked. The defending troops repulsed the first attack but were gradually forced back by the weight of the onslaught. The defender's machine gun had been put out of action early in the engagement after all the gunners had been killed or wounded. The defenders formed a circle which became ever smaller as losses mounted. When the commanding officer Sir John Jaffey died, the enemy rushed in and the small number of survivors made prisoner.
The victorious Turkish troops then moved on to reinforce the attack taking place simultaneously against the small garrison at Qatia. Despite a gallant defence and attempts at relief by returning squadrons of patrolling Gloucestershires and Warwickshires, who had heard the gunfire, Qatia fell to the Turks with the loss of all of the Yeomanry's officers except Major W.H. Wiggin who was wounded yet managed to withdraw with about half the squadron; the survivors were made prisoners. Anzac troops, who occupied both Qatia and Oghradine four days later, testified to the ferocity of the battle and paid tribute to the valour and tenacity of the defenders. In these actions 9 officers and 102 NCOs and men of the Worcestershire Yeomanry were killed and many other wounded.

Is this the same Coventry? see http://en.wikipedia....harles_Coventry

Regards
Michael

#2 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,181 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:27 PM

The Royal Gloucestershire Hussars were also involved in this same action and their casualties including PoWs are named here http://members.tripo...ters/Egypt.html

#3 Terry_Reeves

Terry_Reeves

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:33 PM

Michael

I think he may well be the same man. There is a memorial to him and his name ties up with Wisden. Links below.

http://tinyurl.com/ywbpna

http://tinyurl.com/yudvde

TR

#4 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,181 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:05 PM

Thanks Terry,

An interesting, though not spectacular career
And I suppose that one can say that in both the military and the cricketing contexts

regards
Michael

#5 Terry_Reeves

Terry_Reeves

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:13 PM

Michael

Steady I suppose the word is. His obituary is here.

Attached Files

#6 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,181 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:02 PM

Steady; yes but.................
how many other international cricketers and Starters for the Jockey Club
also have a 'record' (24 days spent in gaol, released early because of ill health)
Is there not a book lying around some where called 'English & Turkish Prisons I have Known'? laugh.gif

many thanks for this Terry

#7 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,181 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:19 PM

from the LG - 4814 SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 13 MAY, 1916.

Worcester.
The dates of promotion of the undermentioned
Officers are as stated against their
names, and not as notified in the Gazette of
29th Jan. 1916:
Maj. Hon. C. J. Coventry to be 'temp.
Lt.-Col. 22nd Aug. 1915.

#8 stiletto_33853

stiletto_33853

Lieut-General

• Old Sweat
  • 12,127 posts
  • Interests:The Rifle Brigade,The 8th Rifle Brigade & 14th (Light) Division.

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:28 PM

His Who Was Who entry:-

COVENTRY, Colonel Hon. Charles John, C.B. 1928: 2nd S. of 9th Earl of Coventry; late Commanding Worcestershire and Oxfordshire Yeomanry Brigade R.F.A.; b. 26 Feb. 1867; married 1900 Lily, y.d. of Fritz Hugh Whitehouse, Eastbourne Lodge, Newport, U.S.A.; two s. two d.; served in Bechuanaland Police Force and took part in the Jamieson Raid; Matabeleland Campaign, 1893 (Despatches); West African Frontier Force in Nigeria, 1898-99; European War (Dardenelles), 1915 (Despatches); Egypt and taken prisoner at Katia by the Turks, April 1916.
Address: Earls Croome Court, Worcester. Telephone Upton-on-Severn 28. Club: White's
Died 2 June 1929

Andy

#9 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,181 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:40 AM

Not knowing this part of the campaign too well
I was puzzled by the absence of Coventry's name from the Worcestershire Y.C. account
however I now see that although given command of the op, he was in fact RFA
Perhaps this will catch Dick Flory's eye and he can add something
Thanks again Terry and Andy for your contributions

regards
Michael

#10 Simon_Fielding

Simon_Fielding

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,114 posts
  • Interests:Worcestershire Regiment, Birmingham Pals, Worcestershire Yeomanry at Qatia, 23rd April 1916, 244th Siege Battery RGA

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:50 PM

I think it is the same man and some of these details confirm it.

http://www.cricinfo....ayer/10836.html

I've been researching the Worcesters at Qatia for some years and have a fair bit if research if anyone has any specific queries.

Simon

#11 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,181 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:36 AM

Simon,

Thanks for that kind offer
I wonder if your research can throw any light on the question of how he came to be in command at this time? see my above
I was puzzled by the absence of Coventry's name from the Worcestershire Y.C. account

regards
Michael

#12 Simon_Fielding

Simon_Fielding

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,114 posts
  • Interests:Worcestershire Regiment, Birmingham Pals, Worcestershire Yeomanry at Qatia, 23rd April 1916, 244th Siege Battery RGA

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:03 PM

Hi Michaeldr

I can't find any reference to Col. Coventry being RFA - he took over command of the Regiment when they served as infantry at Suvla Bay.
I made a few notes from'C':

Major Charles Coventry initially in command of 'C' Squadron p.5
Promoted to 2i/c after Major WW Wiggin took over command of Regiment on the death of Sir Henry Grey (17th Dec 1914); 'C' Squadron taken over by Captain WH Wiggin. p.12
Left with other officers at Chatby Camp in command of reserve. p.24
Colonel WW Wiggin to UK Jan 1915 p.204-5
Charles Coventry to command regiment - arrives Suvla Sept 18th 1915

C. The Yeomanry Cavalry of Worcestershire, 1914-1922. Stourbridge [Eng.]: Mark & Moody, 1926.

He also took responsibility for rebuilding the yeomanry in 1919 when he returned to the UK.

Cheers

Simon

QUOTE (michaeldr @ Oct 1 2009, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Simon,

Thanks for that kind offer
I wonder if your research can throw any light on the question of how he came to be in command at this time? see my above

regards
Michael

#13 Simon_Fielding

Simon_Fielding

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:20 PM

Some peerage information suggests the RFA link was honorary? He's also mentioned a little in Elizabeth Longford's book on the Jameson Raid.

http://www.thepeerag...2732.htm#i27311

#14 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,181 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:16 AM

Simon,

Many thanks for looking at this question and for putting me straight here

best regards
Michael

#15 Gloucestershire Yeomanry

Gloucestershire Yeomanry

Corporal

• Members2
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:The Royal Gloucestershire Hussars and fishing for anything that swims........

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:35 PM

[/quote]
1)I have therefore been able to gather no detailed information of the actual fighting at Qatia.
2)Anzac troops, who occupied both Qatia and Oghradine four days later, testified to the ferocity of the battle and paid tribute to the valour and tenacity of the defenders. In these actions 9 officers and 102 NCOs and men of the Worcestershire Yeomanry were killed and many other wounded.
[/quote]

Please amend your records to show that 'A' Sqn 1st Royal Gloucestershire Hussars Yeomanry held Qatia.
Roll of Honour :

OFFICERS

Killed:

Lieut. and Adjt. Viscount Quenington, M. H.

2nd Lieut. W. A. Smith.

Capt. M. G. Lloyd-Baker.

Lieut. Lord Elcho, H. F.

Prisoners of War :

Lieut. A. W. Strickland.

2nd Lieut. C. C. Herbert.

OTHER RANKS

Killed
:

Sergt. Peacy, H. G.

Sergt. Shute, W. S.

Sergt. Walker, W. J.

Corpl. Emerson, W. E.

Lce.-Corpl. Hatch, W. K.

Lce.-Corpl. Jones, E. O.

Pte. Davis, A. E.

Pte. Downham, P. J.

Pte. Green, W.

Pte. Harvey, J.

Pte. Parsons, W. T.

Tmpr. Mills, C.

Pte. Pulham, E. H.

Pte. Simpson, E. H.

Pte. Townsend, D.

Pte. Stanley, L.

Wounded :

Sergt. Lovell, C. H.

Sergt. Harding, W. E.

Sergt. Smart, T. H.

Sergt. Warner, E. E.

Lce.-Corpl. Boulton, W. J.

Pte. Hatch, A.

Pte. Scorgie, O.

Pte. Price, S.

Pte. Rowe, P.

Pte. Cox, B.

Pte. Kendall, W.

Pte. Allen, A. W.

Pte. Holborrow, E. H.

Pte. Groves, E.

Pte. Shane, M.

Wounded and Prisoners of War:

S.Q.M.S. Cross, J.

Sergt. Colborn, H. A.

Corpl. Springfield, T. O.

Sadd.-Corpl. Wicks, W.

Corpl. James, G. T.

Corpl. Brain, J. E. B.

Lce.-Corpl. Walwin, H.

Pte. Plaister, E.

Pte. Mourby, A. J.

Pte. Neale, F.

Prisoners of War
:

S.S.M. Hyatt, G.

Sergt. Millard, P. E.

Farr.-Cpl. Woodcock, B.

Lce.-Corpl. Taylor, S. P.

Tmpr. Lewis, F.

Pte. Smith, R. C.

Pte. Evans, J. H.

Pte. Rufell, H.

Pte. Cutts, E. A.

Pte. Dilloway, F.

Pte. Gill, F. W.

Pte. Hodges, C. B.

Pte. Hawkes, H. E.

Pte. Lippett, J.

Pte. Lord, E. D.

Pte. Oliver, O.

Pte. Perkins, F.

Pte. Rich, A. W.

Pte. Smith, H. R.

Pte. Slatter, A. J.

Pte. White, W. H.

Pte. Westcott, J. E.

Pte. Silvey, S. V.

Pte. Mann, W.

Pte. Lewis, J. P.

Pte. Lilbey, G. S

Pte. May, F. E.

Pte. Farmer, W. D.

Pte. Merry, H.

Pte. Tippet, E. J.

Pte. Bowl, F. E.

Pte. Clifford, C. C.

Pte. Farmer, W.

Pte. Greenwood, E.

Pte. Hopkins, F. A.

Pte. Johnstone, C. W.

Pte. Lloyd, L. L. S.

Pte. Nelmes, W. T.

Pte. Pardington, R.

Pte. Preen, E. V.

Pte. Rogers, H. R.

Pte. Smith, A. J.

Pte. Troughton, A. G.

Pte. Kendall, J. H.

Pte. Boswell, A. J.

Pte. Pearcy, E.

Pte. Adcock, J. P.

Pte. Leighton, T. F.

Pte. Marsh, T. H.

Pte. Sargent, W. C.

Pte. Louis, S. C

For a complete eye witness account of this action, please refer to the book:

"THE ROYAL GLOUCESTERSHIRE HUSSARS YEOMANRY 1898 1922" By Frank Fox. [Philip Allen & Co.1923]

This information has been supplied on behalf of the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars, Historical Research Committee.

Enquiries always welcome..

#16 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,181 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:03 PM

Gloucestershire - Please see post No. 2 and the link provided there

Reply to this topic